Old 30-04-2003, 06:56 PM
Frogleg

Default Pinching

On Tue, 29 Apr 2003 23:27:39 GMT, "Evan" wrote:

Okay, I need someone to draw me a picture! I know nothing about plants but I
am trying to learn and I have a Basil plant that is doing well and growing
straight up, quickly. It has about 7 series of branches off of the stem. I
know it is time to pinch, but this is the question: There is about 2 inches
of stem in between the top branches and and the second-from-top. Do I pinch
off the two inches of stem all the way to the second-to-the-top branches? Do
I leave a little bit of stem? Or do I only pinch off the leavesright where
they join the stem? I have read several definitions of pinching, but I am
just dense and would love a VERY descriptive definition of what to do.

Pinching off every sign of flower budding (at the very end of the
stem) will promote branching and keep basil from putting all its
energy into going to seed. Once the stem begins to show 1/2 inch or
more of flower stalk, you'll need to tat the last 1 or 2 (small) pair
of leaves, too.

[IMG] code is On

pinching out growing tip R United Kingdom 2 09-05-2003 12:32 AM
Petunia Seedling Question - Pinching Bennett Gardening 1 06-05-2003 04:56 AM
pinching out seedlings Chris Rowe United Kingdom 1 03-05-2003 02:32 PM
Pinching Out Side Buds Shiva Roses 0 28-04-2003 07:08 PM
Pinching Mums Tony United Kingdom 2 05-11-2002 09:54 PM