Old 10-10-2010, 06:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default apples or oranges?

FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

Are you actually interested in growing fruit?

If I wrote 'Here chook, chook, chook!' would you understand what I
meant? :-))) I think there is some of that going on here.

Yes but one gives the benefit of the doubt.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

Are you actually interested in growing fruit?

If I wrote 'Here chook, chook, chook!' would you understand what I
meant? :-))) I think there is some of that going on here.

Yes but one gives the benefit of the doubt.

:-)) I think you must be much less cynical than I am :-))

I've had a lovely week in the garden and can't remember a Spring that has
held such promise for a bumper summer. I've got herbs leaping out of the
ground in my new herb bed near the back door. My passionfruit has a tiny
sprout appearing above the graft even though the whole top of it suffered
from frost damage and I am eagerly awaiting a burst of growth from it. My
carrots are up and growing strongly, my silver beet is producing as is the
rhubarb, the lettuces and a few other greens. The sodding cockatoos are
taking the tops off my broad beans but they need tip pruing anyway so I
shouldn't grumble. I've bought a heap of cow manure and pelleted poo and an
in the process of spreading it. Life in the garden is rosy and hectic.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

Are you actually interested in growing fruit?

If I wrote 'Here chook, chook, chook!' would you understand what I
meant? :-))) I think there is some of that going on here.

Yes but one gives the benefit of the doubt.

:-)) I think you must be much less cynical than I am :-))

I doubt that. I am trying to get a silver star this week so I am being nice
to everybody.

I've had a lovely week in the garden and can't remember a Spring that
has held such promise for a bumper summer. I've got herbs leaping
out of the ground in my new herb bed near the back door. My
passionfruit has a tiny sprout appearing above the graft even though
the whole top of it suffered from frost damage and I am eagerly
awaiting a burst of growth from it. My carrots are up and growing
strongly, my silver beet is producing as is the rhubarb, the lettuces
and a few other greens. The sodding cockatoos are taking the tops
off my broad beans but they need tip pruing anyway so I shouldn't
grumble. I've bought a heap of cow manure and pelleted poo and an in
the process of spreading it. Life in the garden is rosy and hectic.

I just pulled all my broad beans and the last of the peas are going for seed
saving. After a slow start the pasture is looking great, 70mm of rain has
the clover jumping out of the ground. Mootilda just thundered by to get to
my daughter who appeared with the magic bucket. I now have a flock (yes a
flock) of black cormorants assaulting the dam so perhaps there are some fish
left. Will there be any tomorrow? We live in hope.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:45 PM posted to rec.gardens

David Hare-Scott schrieb:

Are you actually interested in growing fruit? If so be more specific
about what you are trying to tell us or ask us and you will get good
to be that way which hints that you don't have any interest in fruit -
but I could be wrong.

David

i am quite content with the responses i already got. i cannot grow
oranges, but i have an apple tree in my garden.
actually this post should not be taken too seriously. its primary
purpose was entertainment.
Old 10-10-2010, 03:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

John McGaw wrote:
On 10/9/2010 7:16 AM, David Hare-Scott wrote:
MeaningWhat wrote:
Pico Rico schrieb:
"MeaningWhat"mw@mw wrote in message
what is it going to be?

I tried to compare them once, and got all confused.

admitted, it is hard, but just for the heck of it.. lets be naughty
and compare them

What about medlars or quinces?

I'll take sloes every time. Especially drink time.

Tell me about sloes. They are not grown anywhere around here. I have heard
of sloe gin and sloe wine, what is it like?

David

Think of a small tart plum growing on a small spiny tree and you will be
pretty close. It is kin to cherries, plums, peaches, apricots, etc. The
wood is great for making walking sticks too.

Old 11-10-2010, 05:50 AM posted to rec.gardens

FarmI wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message

Are you actually interested in growing fruit?

If I wrote 'Here chook, chook, chook!' would you understand what I
meant? :-))) I think there is some of that going on here.

Yes but one gives the benefit of the doubt.

:-)) I think you must be much less cynical than I am :-))

I doubt that. I am trying to get a silver star this week so I am being
nice to everybody.

Well being a cynic and having a good killfile go hand in hand. :-))

I've had a lovely week in the garden and can't remember a Spring that
has held such promise for a bumper summer. I've got herbs leaping
out of the ground in my new herb bed near the back door. My
passionfruit has a tiny sprout appearing above the graft even though
the whole top of it suffered from frost damage and I am eagerly
awaiting a burst of growth from it. My carrots are up and growing
strongly, my silver beet is producing as is the rhubarb, the lettuces
and a few other greens. The sodding cockatoos are taking the tops
off my broad beans but they need tip pruing anyway so I shouldn't
grumble. I've bought a heap of cow manure and pelleted poo and an in
the process of spreading it. Life in the garden is rosy and hectic.

I just pulled all my broad beans

They've finished? Mine haven't even started to form pods yet.

and the last of the peas are going for seed
saving.

Bloomin' eck! Your season is a long way ahed of mine.

After a slow start the pasture is looking great, 70mm of rain has
the clover jumping out of the ground. Mootilda just thundered by to get
to my daughter who appeared with the magic bucket.

How's she going? Has she turned out as well as you hoped? Watch out for
all that clover with Mootilda - you may need to get her a block so she can
cope with all that clover.

I now have a flock (yes a
flock) of black cormorants assaulting the dam so perhaps there are some
fish left. Will there be any tomorrow? We live in hope.

I've read that throwing old metal beds into dams is a good way of protecting
fish from cormoratns - apparently it gives the fish a place to hide.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

I now have a flock (yes a
flock) of black cormorants assaulting the dam so perhaps there are
some fish left. Will there be any tomorrow? We live in hope.

I've read that throwing old metal beds into dams is a good way of
protecting fish from cormoratns - apparently it gives the fish a
place to hide.

Nah. It just saves the place looking like a junkyard along with all the old
farm equipment, rusted cars and rolls of rusty wire.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:39 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeaningWhat[_2_] View Post
what is it going to be?
mmm tough decision! but oranges, all the way!
Bat Boxes - Help Your Local Bat Friends
Chimineas | Parasols | Garden Benches | Garden Furniture Covers
Old 20-01-2011, 09:46 PM
Registered User

Location: UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeaningWhat[_2_] View Post
what is it going to be?
Apples of course!