Old 09-10-2010, 12:08 PM
jnb jnb is offline
Registered User

Default Starting a hedge trimmer?

'cos it won't ;-(

I bought a new hedge trimmer a couple of weeks ago, since when it has of course tipped it down. Now it's dry enough to use the thing I can of course not get it started.

When I bought it the salesman gave it a guick once over and checked it worked which it does, or at least did. Today I try to start it and I have the engine switch in the on position, the choke closed, fuel primed and it does nothing. Pulling the plug out I can see a spark and smell fuel so what might I be missing.

This is a hayter ht230s if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions?
Old 09-10-2010, 03:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 11:08:24 +0000, jnb
wrote:

'cos it won't ;-(

I bought a new hedge trimmer a couple of weeks ago, since when it has of
course tipped it down. Now it's dry enough to use the thing I can of
course not get it started.

When I bought it the salesman gave it a guick once over and checked it
worked which it does, or at least did. Today I try to start it and I
have the engine switch in the on position, the choke closed, fuel primed
and it does nothing. Pulling the plug out I can see a spark and smell
fuel so what might I be missing.

This is a hayter ht230s if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions?

You're supposed to start a cold engine with the choke *open*. And
make sure to use fresh fuel.
Old 09-10-2010, 03:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

'cos it won't ;-(

I bought a new hedge trimmer a couple of weeks ago, since when it has of
course tipped it down. Now it's dry enough to use the thing I can of
course not get it started.

When I bought it the salesman gave it a guick once over and checked it
worked which it does, or at least did. Today I try to start it and I
have the engine switch in the on position, the choke closed, fuel primed
and it does nothing. Pulling the plug out I can see a spark and smell
fuel so what might I be missing.

This is a hayter ht230s if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions?

You're supposed to start a cold engine with the choke *open*. And
make sure to use fresh fuel.

Inline fuel filter or carb filter could be defective or clogged.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Q0JfdP36kI

Old 09-10-2010, 04:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

"jnb" wrote in message

I bought a new hedge trimmer a couple of weeks ago, since when it has of
course tipped it down. Now it's dry enough to use the thing I can of
course not get it started.

When I bought it the salesman gave it a guick once over and checked it
worked which it does, or at least did. Today I try to start it and I
have the engine switch in the on position, the choke closed, fuel primed
and it does nothing. Pulling the plug out I can see a spark and smell
fuel so what might I be missing.

Of course it depends where you live . . .
In N.America you would probably take this item back to the store
where eiither you would get a free lesson in starting the engine or,
if the staff could not start it, a defective unit would be replaced.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old 09-10-2010, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

'cos it won't ;-(

I bought a new hedge trimmer a couple of weeks ago, since when it has of
course tipped it down. Now it's dry enough to use the thing I can of
course not get it started.

When I bought it the salesman gave it a guick once over and checked it
worked which it does, or at least did. Today I try to start it and I
have the engine switch in the on position, the choke closed, fuel primed
and it does nothing. Pulling the plug out I can see a spark and smell
fuel so what might I be missing.

This is a hayter ht230s if that makes a difference.

Any suggestions?

You're supposed to start a cold engine with the choke *open*. And
make sure to use fresh fuel.

Inline fuel filter or carb filter could be defective or clogged.

I doubt those filters exist on hedgetrimmer engines, typically there's
a removable fine mesh nylon screen at the fuel tank opening to catch
larger particles... string trimmers, leaf blowers, and push lawnmowers
don't have fuel line filters either, neither chain saws... many
plastic fuel cans have a nylon mesh screen inside the spout, with some
metal cans the spout screen is brass. These small 2 cycle engines are
very sensitive to old fuel, the oil mix already dilutes the fuel.
Anyway the unit was just purchased brand new, way too soon for a fuel
line and/or carborator clog. Even dealerships may be using up old
fuel and then to let a few weeks pass without using the machine the
old fuel just becomes older, this can make the unit difficult to
start... I don't mix more 2 cycle fuel than I can use in a month or
less, I have a 2 liter can for my 2 cycle, and I buy my gas in small
quantities, not more than a 2 gallon can, at the end of the season my
last purchase may be only 1 gallon. I'd rather make a couple extra
trips to the gas pump each gardening season than hassle with hard
starting engines. The additives in gas dissipate rapidly... there are
gas stabilizers one can add but it's easier and less costly to just
buy gas more often. At the end of the season I pour what little gas
is left in my 2 gallon can into my automobile, I dont save gasolene
nor do I like keeping it around longer than neccesary and in larger
quantity than necessary.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 10/9/2010 11:34 AM, Don Phillipson wrote:
wrote in message

I bought a new hedge trimmer a couple of weeks ago, since when it has of
course tipped it down. Now it's dry enough to use the thing I can of
course not get it started.

When I bought it the salesman gave it a guick once over and checked it
worked which it does, or at least did. Today I try to start it and I
have the engine switch in the on position, the choke closed, fuel primed
and it does nothing. Pulling the plug out I can see a spark and smell
fuel so what might I be missing.

Of course it depends where you live . . .
In N.America you would probably take this item back to the store
where eiither you would get a free lesson in starting the engine or,
if the staff could not start it, a defective unit would be replaced.

Hayter is a (fairly) old-line UK company and that seems to be their entire
market. Of course the proper thing to do even in the UK is to take the unit
back to the seller and ask for a refresher course -- they should be happy
to help.

I suspect that if the OP is smelling petrol the unit is likely flooded with
fuel and will need to have the spark plug removed for a good airing out
before trying to start it again. The starting procedure quoted (ignition
on, choke on, primed, pull) is pretty standard for any 2-cycle engine. Once
one learns the quirks of any particular leaf blower, string trimmer,
chainsaw, or hedge trimmer the process can be adapted but this is a good
starting point.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:49 PM
jnb jnb is offline
Registered User

Well it's going and it was numptyism on my part.

First of all choke open / closed is just a terminology problem it was in the right position even if I called it the wrong thing.

The issue was that being a tiny engine it's easy to flood but also starting it it seems to want to be pumped repeatedly so that I'm pulling the starter again while the engine is still spinning from the first pull. Do that a few times and it runs like a goodun.

[IMG] code is On

Hedge trimmer attachment for a John Deere "Quik-tatch" string trimmer? [email protected] Gardening 0 10-03-2014 10:07 PM
Hedge trimmer recommendations Anthony James United Kingdom 3 18-01-2004 09:05 PM
Hedge trimmer suggestions Troy United Kingdom 9 27-08-2003 06:02 PM
Hedge trimmer PJ United Kingdom 0 05-08-2003 08:32 AM
Echo HC1500 Hedge Trimmer Bruce Trull Lawns 1 08-06-2003 06:20 PM