Old 12-10-2010, 02:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Help with Mantis Tiller transmission repair

I think there is a loose object in my tillers transmission case. It
will run a bit and then sieze. If I take the transmission off and turn
it backwards by hand or wrench it eventually clears up. I can then put
it back togerhter for a brief run. I may try to wash it out with
solvent first and see if something solid falls out but if that doesn't
work I'll need to take it apart. It seems pretty simple and not many
parts but I've never dealt with some of the stuff like the bearing
retainers on the axle. How do I take this thing apart? Anybody know?
Old 23-05-2014, 10:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Monday, October 11, 2010 9:42:59 PM UTC-4, Bobo wrote:
I think there is a loose object in my tillers transmission case. It
will run a bit and then sieze. If I take the transmission off and turn
it backwards by hand or wrench it eventually clears up. I can then put
it back togerhter for a brief run. I may try to wash it out with
solvent first and see if something solid falls out but if that doesn't
work I'll need to take it apart. It seems pretty simple and not many
parts but I've never dealt with some of the stuff like the bearing
retainers on the axle. How do I take this thing apart? Anybody know?

Hi,
You just described the problem I had exactly. In my case, the worm gear had broken. I found a replacement set of gears along with a spare transmission housing on ebay for $45. Here is a good link to help you get the tine shaft off...
http://www.fixya.com/support/t212703...2_cycle_tiller
Hope all goes well!!!