Old 13-10-2010, 04:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default "Hardening off" potato eyes

I had always been taught that it's good to "harden off" potato eyes
before planting. Does anyone have comments about whether this is true/
false and (b) how long harden off before planting?

Next: Is there any harm in eating the rest of the potato after
removing the eye and accompanying meat? I have done so & survived,
but wonder if there is a problem.

TIA
Old 14-10-2010, 02:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
I had always been taught that it's good to "harden off" potato eyes
before planting. Does anyone have comments about whether this is true/
false and (b) how long harden off before planting?

Next: Is there any harm in eating the rest of the potato after
removing the eye and accompanying meat? I have done so & survived,
but wonder if there is a problem.

TIA

We never hardened off, but as I recall, we dabbed the cut sides with sulfur.

What rest? We always cut the potato in chunks with at least one eye and
all the "meat" still attached. Doesn't the plant use the "meat" for
nutrition and moisture until the green sprouts appear above ground?

gloria p
Old 14-10-2010, 11:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
I had always been taught that it's good to "harden off" potato eyes
before planting. Does anyone have comments about whether this is
true/ false and (b) how long harden off before planting?

I am not sure what you mean by "harden off". In cases where you cut the
tater up it is usual to allow the cut surface to callus over for a day or
two before planting. I understand that this is to try to prevent fungi from
invading the cut area when it is buried.

Next: Is there any harm in eating the rest of the potato after
removing the eye and accompanying meat? I have done so & survived,
but wonder if there is a problem.

TIA

There is no reason that you shouldn't eat the rest PROVIDED it meets the
usual criteria of edible potatoes - that it doesn't have green areas which
are likely to contain the poison solanine. As seed potatoes are often old
and have been exposed to light it is common for them to fail this
requirement. OTOH it is usual to not cut the eye out but cut larger tubers
into segments where each segment has an eye, or to plant small tubers whole.
The starch with the eye is required to provide energy to send up the new
shoots, so usually there wouldn't be any spare meat to eat.

David

Old 14-10-2010, 08:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 13, 6:57*pm, "gloria.p" wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
I had always been taught that it's good to "harden off" potato eyes
before planting. *Does anyone have comments about whether this is true/
false and *(b) how long harden off before planting?

Next: *Is there any harm in eating the rest of the potato after
removing the eye and accompanying meat? *I have done so & survived,
but wonder if there is a problem.

TIA

We never hardened off, but as I recall, we dabbed the cut sides with sulfur.

What rest? *We always cut the potato in chunks with at least one eye and
all the "meat" still attached. *Doesn't the plant use the "meat" for
nutrition and moisture until the green sprouts appear above ground?

gloria p

We're on the same page. I also leave a lot of "meat" for the reason
you state, but there's still a lot of potato left -- to eat or not to
eat. As I say, I have survived...g
Old 14-10-2010, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 14, 3:54*am, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
I had always been taught that it's good to "harden off" potato eyes
before planting. *Does anyone have comments about whether this is
true/ false and *(b) how long harden off before planting?

I am not sure what you mean by "harden off". *In cases where you cut the
tater up it is usual to allow the cut surface to callus over for a day or
two before planting. *I understand that this is to try to prevent fungi from
invading the cut area when it is buried.

That's what I meant by "harden off", not knowing any other term.
But did not know the reason for doing so. I notice Gloria suggested
using sulfur.
May try an experiement planting some w/sulfur, some w/o.

Next: *Is there any harm in eating the rest of the potato after
removing the eye and accompanying meat? *I have done so & survived,
but wonder if there is a problem.

TIA

There is no reason that you shouldn't eat the rest PROVIDED it meets the
usual criteria of edible potatoes - that it doesn't have green areas which
are likely to contain the poison solanine. *As seed potatoes are often old
and have been exposed to light it is common for them to fail this
requirement. *OTOH it is usual to not cut the eye out but cut larger tubers
into segments where each segment has an eye, or to plant small tubers whole.
The starch with the eye is required to provide energy to send up the new
shoots, so usually there wouldn't be any spare meat to eat.

See reply to Gloria. I do leave lots of "meat"/starch to get the new
potatoes going.
And I am aware of green potato danger,but didn't know the term you
cite.
I have never used purchased seed potatoes.
Thanks for help.

HB

Old 14-10-2010, 10:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:

I have never used purchased seed potatoes.
Thanks for help.

It may be a marketing ploy but I've always heard that
grocery store potatoes are treated to delay or prevent
sprouting. therefore it was a good idea to buy untreated
seed potatoes for planting since you want the "eyes" to
sprout vigorously.

As I said, it may be just an old wives' tale or a
marketing thing. Of course if you are planting your
own potatoes from the previous crop, no problem.

gloria p
Old 15-10-2010, 02:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 14, 2:04*pm, "gloria.p" wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
I have never used purchased seed potatoes.
Thanks for help.

It may be a marketing ploy but I've always heard that
grocery store potatoes are treated to delay or prevent
sprouting. therefore it was a good idea to buy untreated
seed potatoes for planting since you want the "eyes" to
sprout vigorously.

As I said, it may be just an old wives' tale or a
marketing thing. *Of course if you are planting your
own potatoes from the previous crop, no problem.

gloria p

Hmmm...well, if they ARE "treated" it isn't working! If I don't use
store tomatoes soonish, they sprout like gangbusters.
I suppose one solution, IF one buys into the "treatment" story, is to
buy organic potatoes and eat them fast.

Old 15-10-2010, 02:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:

Hmmm...well, if they ARE "treated" it isn't working! If I don't use
store tomatoes soonish, they sprout like gangbusters.

Hmmm, you get tomatoes to sprout?
Old 16-10-2010, 05:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Oct 14, 6:13*pm, Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:

Hmmm...well, if they ARE "treated" it isn't working! *If I don't use
store tomatoes soonish, they sprout like gangbusters.

Hmmm, you get tomatoes to sprout?

No, I wasn't drunk...just sloppy...g

HB
Old 18-10-2010, 08:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

"gloria.p" wrote in message
Higgs Boson wrote:

I have never used purchased seed potatoes.
Thanks for help.

It may be a marketing ploy but I've always heard that
grocery store potatoes are treated to delay or prevent
sprouting. therefore it was a good idea to buy untreated
seed potatoes for planting since you want the "eyes" to
sprout vigorously.

As I said, it may be just an old wives' tale or a
marketing thing. Of course if you are planting your
own potatoes from the previous crop, no problem.

The reason why seed potatoes should be bought is because those bought for
cooking may have viruses.