GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Silver Birch Problem (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/194197-silver-birch-problem.html)

keajra 24-10-2010 04:27 PM

Silver Birch Problem

Hi,

We planted a young silver birch in early September and it has become covered in small white raised bumps please see the link below. Could anybody tell me what it is? Whether it is diseased and if not what I can do about it?

ImageShack Album - 3 images

Many thanks

Pat Kiewicz[_2_] 25-10-2010 11:55 AM

Silver Birch Problem

keajra said:

Hi,

We planted a young silver birch in early September and it has become
covered in small white raised bumps please see the link below. Could
anybody tell me what it is? Whether it is diseased and if not what I can
do about it?

'ImageShack Album - 3 images' (http://tinyurl.com/26jgjp2)

It looks to me like your birch is suffering from an infestation of some
type of armored scale insect.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/mg005

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

beecrofter[_2_] 25-10-2010 05:32 PM

Silver Birch Problem

Looks like scale infestation, look into a repeat application of
dormant or horticultural oil to smother them.

keajra 26-10-2010 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beecrofter[_2_] (Post 903706)
Looks like scale infestation, look into a repeat application of
dormant or horticultural oil to smother them.

Many thanks for the replies I will set to with the oil

Regards J