GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plant identification (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/194231-plant-identification.html)

Onthehang 27-10-2010 03:31 PM

Plant identification

2 Attachment(s)
Hi, this is my first post here. I was hoping someone could identify the two flowers shown in the attached pics. I think I have seen both in the Gardeners' World tv show garden. I have asked the same question there but thus far no reply. Thanks in advance,

Owdboggy 27-10-2010 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onthehang (Post 903830)
Hi, this is my first post here. I was hoping someone could identify the two flowers shown in the attached pics. I think I have seen both in the Gardeners' World tv show garden. I have asked the same question there but thus far no reply. Thanks in advance,

The second one is one of the many types of Helianthus, perennial Sunflowers, could be Lemon Queen, but it may be a bit too orange for that one. There are a fair few of them.
I know the first but the name will not jump out at me.

beecrofter[_2_] 27-10-2010 11:23 PM

Plant identification

Orange one appears to be "Tithonia"

Bill who putters 27-10-2010 11:31 PM

Plant identification

In article
,
beecrofter wrote:

Orange one appears to be "Tithonia"

Another name Mexican sunflower.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
http://www.informationisbeautiful.ne...l-supplements/

Onthehang 28-10-2010 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Owdboggy (Post 903835)
The second one is one of the many types of Helianthus, perennial Sunflowers, could be Lemon Queen, but it may be a bit too orange for that one. There are a fair few of them.
I know the first but the name will not jump out at me.

Thanks for that. I got these in France in August. The sunflower is quite common over there so i dug up a few small specimens. 30cms tall. These I have planted in the garden and they have taken quite well.

The mexican sunflower as i now know it to be was in municipal plantings and i took a cutting from one. I have 3 cuttings in my greenhouse which have rooted well but now i know it to be an annual so was my effort wasted? Will the cuttings die before they have a chance to flower and produce seed? A pity if so because they were stunning to see in full flower and about 5 foot tall.

Onthehang 28-10-2010 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beecrofter[_2_] (Post 903853)
Orange one appears to be "Tithonia"

Thanks very much.

Onthehang 28-10-2010 08:37 AM