Old 30-10-2010, 08:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Sweet corn grown in lawn

An amazing and audacious experiement, growing sweet corn in lawn.

My neighbour, who has the run off where I plant a crop of sweet corn every
season, has finally decided at 93 that it is time he moved in to a rest
home. The house is going on the market. No growing in his garden this year.

My existing raised gardens are fully at present.

So, I have grown sweet corn seedlings and planted them into the lawn.

First I scalped the grass with the lawn mower. I dug a slit into the soil,
like planters do when planting pine trees, and placed the SC seedlings into
the slit and then closed it back up.

The soil is loamy and because it was undisturbed lawn, has good structure.
The soil should be fertile and have enough nutrients in it.

It may need to be irrigated more regularly than in a garden but I can take
care of that.

Anyone have any comments or advice?

Rob

Old 30-10-2010, 01:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 30 Oct 2010 20:48:06 +1300, "George"
wrote:

[...]

Would have been a worthwhile post if you showed pictures, otherwise...
Old 30-10-2010, 02:22 PM posted to rec.gardens

George wrote:
[...]

It's called pasture cropping. It can be very useful if you have stock as
you have the option of taking a harvest or giving it to the stock depending
on how the season goes. I haven't heard of it being done with corn though.
I suspect you will get some competition in your case so the corn (which is a
heavy feeder) may not be luxurious but still I would be interested to know
how it turns out.

David

Old 30-10-2010, 05:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

"George" wrote in message
[...]

Does your neighbor mind, or are you trespassing? No mention of PERMISSION
being given.

Old 30-10-2010, 11:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

Pico Rico wrote:
"George" wrote in message
[...]

You sure can perceive the most important aspect of any post, your steel-trap
mind gets right to the relevant point every time. As well as the key legal
and moral issues of our times do you have any wisdom to share over topics
such as soil structure, root competition, interplanting, irrigation, land
use or nutrition of annuals and perenials?

David

Old 31-10-2010, 03:48 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Pico Rico" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
[...]

Well, if permission was not granted by Roy to use his gardens for growing,
the alternative is that I simply marched over there every summer, planted a
crop, watched it grow, watered it and harvested it.

Which of these do you think is most feasible?

I don't need permission to plant corn in my lawn (except agreement from my
wife - which was given). I did consult myself about planting in my lawn and
naturally I agreed with myself.

rob

Old 31-10-2010, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

"George" wrote in message

"Pico Rico" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message
[...]

Well rob-george, that explains it. Your first post was not at all clear.
Thanks for the follow up.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:02 AM posted to rec.gardens

George wrote:
.

So, I have grown sweet corn seedlings and planted them into the lawn.

Anyone have any comments or advice?

I thought sweet corn was one of those plants that don't transplant well
as seedlings, but if you've done it before, I guess it will be OK.
Corn also requires a lot of water while growing and that will accelerate
lawn growth. How will you keep the lawn grass from choking out the plants?

gloria p
Old 01-11-2010, 02:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

gloria.p wrote:
George wrote:
.

So, I have grown sweet corn seedlings and planted them into the lawn.

Anyone have any comments or advice?

I thought sweet corn was one of those plants that don't transplant
well as seedlings, but if you've done it before, I guess it will be OK.
Corn also requires a lot of water while growing and that will
accelerate lawn growth. How will you keep the lawn grass from
choking out the plants?
gloria p

The corn should soon rise above the grass so there won't be much sun
competion but you would expect some root competion as corn is also shallow
rooted.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:25 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Pico Rico" wrote in message
"George" wrote in message
"Pico Rico" wrote in message
"George" wrote in message
[...]

to most people but some found it a little ambiguous. Made sense in my mind
as I wrote it, but that doesn't necessarily indicate very much.

rob

Old 01-11-2010, 08:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
gloria.p wrote:
George wrote:
.

So, I have grown sweet corn seedlings and planted them into the lawn.

Anyone have any comments or advice?

I thought sweet corn was one of those plants that don't transplant
well as seedlings, but if you've done it before, I guess it will be OK.
Corn also requires a lot of water while growing and that will
accelerate lawn growth. How will you keep the lawn grass from
choking out the plants?
gloria p

The corn should soon rise above the grass so there won't be much sun
competion but you would expect some root competion as corn is also shallow
rooted.

I know a few gardeners who transplant corn into their garden and they don't
seem to have a problem. But then I am not a corn expert and it may not
normally transplant well.

I think I will need to monitor the grass growth through the rest of spring
and see how things go. If a problem I will need to chop it or mulch it.

Watering is the main obstacle noted and I will cater for that as well as
ensure a steady supply of nitrogen.

rob

Old 01-11-2010, 08:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

"George" wrote in message
"Pico Rico" wrote in message
"George" wrote in message
"Pico Rico" wrote in message
"George" wrote in message
[...]

:-)) Yes, I know what you mean. I initially wondered why you mentioned
your neighbour getting the benefit of your run off, but once you mentioned
that he was old and going into care and wouldn't be gardening this year, I
figured out that you must have been feeling some sympathy for a fellow
gardener having to give up his garden. How far off the mark am I?

Old 01-11-2010, 02:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

u...
"George" wrote in message
"Pico Rico" wrote in message
"George" wrote in message
"Pico Rico" wrote in message
"George" wrote in message
[...]

Now I understood it that he had permission to garden in his neighbor's yard,
and no longer has that permission, and apparently the old man had not been
gardening for some time. So, you see the ambiguity yourself.

anyway, the second post cleared up the confusion some of us had, and now my
interest about the real subject at hand is piqued.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:14 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Pico Rico" wrote:

Now I understood it that he had permission to garden in his neighbor's yard,
and no longer has that permission, and apparently the old man had not been
gardening for some time. So, you see the ambiguity yourself.

anyway, the second post cleared up the confusion some of us had, and now my
interest about the real subject at hand is piqued.

What would that be, piqueo-rico?