Old 03-11-2010, 09:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default cider making - labour saving devices (Billy, charles et al)

Chaps

Looking forward to he next cider making season, a few months down the line,
I had a brainwave for a labour saving device.

Rather than putting chopped up apples through a food processor (and having
wrecked 2 in the process) I thought of using a waste disposal unit.

Get a second hand unit (preferably free) and place it in an old sink unit
(preferably free). Get it wired up with a plug (will probably have to pay
for that). Mount it on a stand and away laughing.

Switch on, shove apples through unit, collect pulp in a bucket underneath.
From there straight into the press.

I also had a brainwave with the press.

Up to now using a cheap crap jig (rebuilt a few times), plastic buckets
(broke 3-4 of these) and a bottle jack. I got hold of a round steel tin I
was going to use.

Better still however, build a proper wooden press bucket. Get hold of some
unstained hardwood and build a bucket, strapped together with some sort of
long building strap, gang nail plate etc.

Rebuild jig to hold bucket in place, continue to use bottle jack.

rob

ps had freshly cut asparagus for tea. Will be sharing results with workmates
tomorrow by looks of it

Old 03-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Registered User

You going to use apples you've grown yourself?

I like the food processor idea though!
__________________
Artificial Grass - This is now compulsory for me...
Old 03-11-2010, 04:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , "George"
wrote:

Chaps

Looking forward to he next cider making season, a few months down the line,
I had a brainwave for a labour saving device.

Rather than putting chopped up apples through a food processor (and having
wrecked 2 in the process) I thought of using a waste disposal unit.

Get a second hand unit (preferably free) and place it in an old sink unit
(preferably free). Get it wired up with a plug (will probably have to pay
for that). Mount it on a stand and away laughing.

Switch on, shove apples through unit, collect pulp in a bucket underneath.
From there straight into the press.

I also had a brainwave with the press.

Up to now using a cheap crap jig (rebuilt a few times), plastic buckets
(broke 3-4 of these) and a bottle jack. I got hold of a round steel tin I
was going to use.

Better still however, build a proper wooden press bucket. Get hold of some
unstained hardwood and build a bucket, strapped together with some sort of
long building strap, gang nail plate etc.

Rebuild jig to hold bucket in place, continue to use bottle jack.

rob

ps had freshly cut asparagus for tea. Will be sharing results with workmates
tomorrow by looks of it

I'm not familiar with garbage disposals, but make sure it doesn't leach
toxics into your brew (lead for example).

Use stainless steel fittings where possible (bolts and nuts), and paint
non-stainless metal with food grade paint.
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude
Old 03-11-2010, 11:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

George wrote:
Chaps

Looking forward to he next cider making season, a few months down the
line, I had a brainwave for a labour saving device.

Rather than putting chopped up apples through a food processor (and
having wrecked 2 in the process) I thought of using a waste disposal
unit.
Get a second hand unit (preferably free) and place it in an old sink
unit (preferably free). Get it wired up with a plug (will probably
have to pay for that). Mount it on a stand and away laughing.

Switch on, shove apples through unit, collect pulp in a bucket
underneath. From there straight into the press.

I've read several references about using disposals. Seems they work fine. I'd
choose one made of stainless, not galvanized metal, and clean/sanitize it well,
expecially if it is a used unit. Large apples may be a problem with household
units, requireing cutting which commercial press grinders wouldn't.

I also had a brainwave with the press.

Up to now using a cheap crap jig (rebuilt a few times), plastic
buckets (broke 3-4 of these) and a bottle jack. I got hold of a round
steel tin I was going to use.

Better still however, build a proper wooden press bucket. Get hold of
some unstained hardwood and build a bucket, strapped together with
some sort of long building strap, gang nail plate etc.

Rebuild jig to hold bucket in place, continue to use bottle jack.

With the wooden press "bucket, you're pretty close to how a commercial press
works. How can you go wrong as long as your structure can take the forces? Mine
has the sides of the staves tapered so that any material that squeezes through
the inside spaces finds more space as it moves, so it doesn't jam in the gaps,
making cleaning difficult.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 15:36:06 -0700, "Bob F"
wrote:

George wrote:
[...]

Meat grinder with a large holed plate.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Bob F" wrote in message
George wrote:
Chaps

Looking forward to he next cider making season, a few months down the
line, I had a brainwave for a labour saving device.

Rather than putting chopped up apples through a food processor (and
having wrecked 2 in the process) I thought of using a waste disposal
unit.
Get a second hand unit (preferably free) and place it in an old sink
unit (preferably free). Get it wired up with a plug (will probably
have to pay for that). Mount it on a stand and away laughing.

Switch on, shove apples through unit, collect pulp in a bucket
underneath. From there straight into the press.

I've read several references about using disposals. Seems they work fine.
I'd choose one made of stainless, not galvanized metal, and clean/sanitize
it well, expecially if it is a used unit.

Bought an old disposal system today from a recycle store - $10. It's a
"goblin" brand and old as the hills. Heavy as buggery, heavy duty and made
to last. Should last the job ok. If it breaks it is only $10.

I have partially taken it apart. I do want to get the grinding plate off as
well as the copper (shows how old it is) waste pipe. Both totally rusted on
it seems or both twisted on so tightly when made. I have soaked with CRC and
will see how that goes. Once freed I plan to run over all the internal
surfaces with a wire brush on drill to buff away all the dirt. Then give
maybe a water blast and then a really good scrubbing and a wipe down with
bleach. Once taken apart once, I can do so again for cleaning if I need to.

I also had a brainwave with the press.

Up to now using a cheap crap jig (rebuilt a few times), plastic
buckets (broke 3-4 of these) and a bottle jack. I got hold of a round
steel tin I was going to use.

Better still however, build a proper wooden press bucket. Get hold of
some unstained hardwood and build a bucket, strapped together with
some sort of long building strap, gang nail plate etc.

Rebuild jig to hold bucket in place, continue to use bottle jack.

With the wooden press "bucket, you're pretty close to how a commercial
press works. How can you go wrong as long as your structure can take the
forces? Mine has the sides of the staves tapered so that any material that
squeezes through the inside spaces finds more space as it moves, so it
doesn't jam in the gaps, making cleaning difficult.

I found some appropriate hard wood for the bucket and some building strap. I
will pop rivet the wood to the straps. I think that will hold well enough.

rob

Old 10-11-2010, 03:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

George wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message
George wrote:
[...]

My press has the staves screwed on so no holes go all the way through the
staves, which are 3/4" thick an maybe 1" wide at the inside.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Bob F" wrote in message
George wrote:
"Bob F" wrote in message
George wrote:
[...]

Mine are 4 cm by 2 cm Bob. I finally got the grinding plate out of the
disposal unit. What a mission. Got help with the neighbour eventually, we
drilled out the bolt head. Reverse thread screw but no indication of it.
Totally jammed up with gunk. Man, a bit of cleaning to be done. Will need a
good wire brush out. A couple of seals will also need replacing if I can get
them. Still should save on $200 for a new one - if I can get this back
together. Still can't get the copper pipe off though. Rubber seal has well
perished and who knows what else is holding it on. Some locktite maybe.

rob