Old 08-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Registered User

Default cuttings from Ilex.

Hi. I intend to form a hedge using Ilex `Golden King.`My question is, is it viable to take cuttings from an existing `Golden King` I have, and when would be the best time. I have heard that a semi-ripe cutting is okay, and would like instructions on how to do this please.

happy gardening
Roger
Old 09-11-2010, 05:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

--
roger w

Holly is relatively easy to root from cuttings. For this type of
holly, semi-hardwood cuttings taken in early fall (you may still have
time) take best. It is also suggested that a "heel" cutting is
preferred. I have included a link to an excellent fact sheet that
explains when and how to strike cuttings for various woody ornamentals
- just sift through to the info on English hollies.

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8702.html

FWIW, despite the name, 'Golden King' is a female clone. If you want
berries you will have to include a suitable, compatable male
pollinator. A male variety of English holly (Ilex aquifolium) would
work.