Old 12-11-2010, 11:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Freeze green onions?

I need to pull a lot of green onions before they go to seed.

Don't have any way to use them all up at once.

Thought of cleaning, dicing, and freezing.

Anybody done this? Does it work?

Quick replies appreciated.

HB
Old 13-11-2010, 12:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
I need to pull a lot of green onions before they go to seed.

Don't have any way to use them all up at once.

Thought of cleaning, dicing, and freezing.

Anybody done this? Does it work?

Quick replies appreciated.

HB

I am not sure what you mean by a green onion. Is that one with a green
shoot and not much (any) bulb? If so they are usually put in salad or eaten
raw - no? So freezing will ruin the texture. If they have a bulb I would
blanch them first before freezing and then they should be good to put in
stews etc latter.

David

Old 13-11-2010, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Higgs Boson" wrote

I need to pull a lot of green onions before they go to seed.

Thought of cleaning, dicing, and freezing.

Dehydrator is the way to go for the greens. Leave the bulbs in the ground
to come up again next year.

Old 13-11-2010, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Nov 12, 4:57*pm, "cshenk" wrote:
"Higgs Boson" wrote

I need to pull a lot of green onions before they go to seed.
Thought of cleaning, dicing, and freezing.

Dehydrator is the way to go for the greens. *Leave the bulbs in the ground
to come up again next year.

? That's a new one on me. I don't have a dehydrator & don't want to
invest in one.
I didn't know about leaving the bulbs in the ground. Figures.

Tx

HB

Old 13-11-2010, 03:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Nov 12, 4:46*pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
I need to pull a lot of green onions before they go to seed.

Don't have any way to use them all up at once.

Thought of cleaning, dicing, and freezing.

Anybody done this? *Does it work?

Quick replies appreciated.

HB

I am not sure what you mean by a green onion. *Is that one with a green
shoot and not much (any) bulb?

Yes. Some call them scallions.

*If so they are usually put in salad or eaten raw - no?

Yes.

*So freezing will ruin the texture.

(**&%$()&%!

*If they have a bulb I would blanch them first before freezing and
then they should be good to put in
stews etc latter.

No bulb to speak of. Guess if freezing is a no-no I'll give them to
the neighbors.

Tx

HB

David

Old 13-11-2010, 12:13 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Higgs Boson wrote:
I need to pull a lot of green onions before they go to seed.

Don't have any way to use them all up at once.

Thought of cleaning, dicing, and freezing.

Anybody done this? *Does it work?

Quick replies appreciated.

HB

I am not sure what you mean by a green onion. *Is that one with a green
shoot and not much (any) bulb?

Yes. Some call them scallions.

*If so they are usually put in salad or eaten raw - no?

Yes.

*So freezing will ruin the texture.

(**&%$()&%!

*If they have a bulb I would blanch them first before freezing and
then they should be good to put in
stews etc latter.

No bulb to speak of. Guess if freezing is a no-no I'll give them to
the neighbors.

Since green onions don't freeze well for using fresh the best way to
salvage your overage is to cook them into soups/stews and then freeze
those. You don't say how much you have but at some point regardless
what produce one has surplus giving what you can't use to neighbors is
better than putting all into the compost pile. Many of my neighbors
have vegetable gardens but we all grow several items the others don't
so we have a loose swapping arrangement... just leave extras by the
bagful at the others door... and if they can't use it their family
members and friends can, solves the problem of how to use/store
extras. Besides there is only so much freezer space one can devote to
extra produce. Btw, the white portion of green onions can be pickled
and canned.

Old 13-11-2010, 03:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
On Nov 12, 4:57 pm, "cshenk" wrote:
"Higgs Boson" wrote

I need to pull a lot of green onions before they go to seed.
Thought of cleaning, dicing, and freezing.

Dehydrator is the way to go for the greens. Leave the bulbs in the
ground
to come up again next year.

? That's a new one on me. I don't have a dehydrator & don't want to
invest in one.
I didn't know about leaving the bulbs in the ground. Figures.

Tx

HB

Will dehydrating onions indoors stink up the house?
Should it be done outside in a shelter?
I have never done dehydration before for food preservation. Just
curious.

--
Enjoy Life... Dan L (Garden in zone 5a Michigan)
Old 13-11-2010, 03:49 PM posted to rec.gardens
Una Una is offline

Freecycle (or similar) groups are a good way to give away extra food.

Una

Old 14-11-2010, 07:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Higgs Boson" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

I need to pull a lot of green onions before they go to seed.
Thought of cleaning, dicing, and freezing.

Dehydrator is the way to go for the greens. Leave the bulbs in the ground
to come up again next year.

? That's a new one on me. I don't have a dehydrator & don't want to
invest in one.

They are pretty cheap home units. About 35$ for one (some cheaper, some a
little more) that will do fine for home produce saving. You'd need more
things than just this one green onion batch to make it 'price worthy' but
for us, it's used a good bit.

Used for: making jerky (Don needs lower salt so making our own is the only
way to get that), making doggie treats of 'jerky' (*significant cost
savings* here for a corn/wheat/soy allergin set of pets), green bell
peppers, onions (dried onions are unique in some cooking aspects and with
those few things, fresh is not as good), tomatoes, rosemary, lavender,
parsley, mint, mushrooms, fruits, and making 'fruit rollups' for the kid
(another *significant savings* here). Probably other stuff I am not
thinking of just now.

Unless you have other needs for the unit, I agree it will not save you any
money to get one. Folks like me, get a good bit out of such units. The pet
food savings alone for making 'treats' would pay for such a unit in 2 months
in my house.

I didn't know about leaving the bulbs in the ground. Figures.

LOL! Planted some about 10 years ago. I'm still cropping my own from them.
Chives too. If you pulled them out, next spring buy some at the grocery and
plant the bulbs with a bit of green still attached. Both chives and green
onions do well in containers BTW. My supermarkets dont sell chives with
bulb on so I had to buy those about 12 years ago. Haven't bought chives
since but I note they spread slowly. Green onions though seem like
Dsffodils. Plant one and you end up with 12 in time.

Old 14-11-2010, 07:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Dan L" wrote
Higgs Boson wrote:
"cshenk" wrote:

I need to pull a lot of green onions before they go to seed.
Thought of cleaning, dicing, and freezing.

Dehydrator is the way to go for the greens.

? That's a new one on me. I don't have a dehydrator & don't want to
invest in one.

Will dehydrating onions indoors stink up the house?
Should it be done outside in a shelter?
I have never done dehydration before for food preservation. Just
curious.

It depends. If the smell of onions drying upsets you, then it will smell up
the house for a bit. It won't last though so once done it goes away as far
as smell.

I rarely do a load of all one thing except jerky or mint. I dry the mint
for tea and don't want my mint tea to be infused with other things. I
generally do 'similar things' like 'all fruit' or 'all herbs'.

Old 14-11-2010, 08:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 14:35:10 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

"Dan L" wrote
Higgs Boson wrote:
"cshenk" wrote:

I need to pull a lot of green onions before they go to seed.
Thought of cleaning, dicing, and freezing.

Dehydrator is the way to go for the greens.

? That's a new one on me. I don't have a dehydrator & don't want to
invest in one.

Will dehydrating onions indoors stink up the house?
Should it be done outside in a shelter?
I have never done dehydration before for food preservation. Just
curious.

It depends. If the smell of onions drying upsets you, then it will smell up
the house for a bit. It won't last though so once done it goes away as far
as smell.

I rarely do a load of all one thing except jerky or mint. I dry the mint
for tea and don't want my mint tea to be infused with other things. I
generally do 'similar things' like 'all fruit' or 'all herbs'.

The green portion of green onions won't dehydrate very well... they're
best freeze dried. In fact most produce doesn't dehydrate well with
home dehydators... unless one has access to a commercial dehydrator
it's not worth the effort. If I had a glut of green onions
dehydrating them would never enter my head... I'd use them in soups,
stews, and sauces and then freeze those... I can use a lot of green
onions in a big pot of chili, or pasta sauce... I can make a big jar
of caramelized green onion relish for use on various meats, would be
great on burgers and steaks, even tube steak... an awful lotta green
onions would need to be cooked down to fill a quart jar. If you have
the other makings a lot of green onions can be used in a salsa.
Old 15-11-2010, 03:08 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Nov 12, 6:33*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
I need to pull a lot of green onions before they go to seed.

Don't have any way to use them all up at once.

Thought of cleaning, dicing, and freezing.

Anybody done this? *Does it work?

Quick replies appreciated.

HB

Use them to make chicken or beef or vegetable stock. Freeze the stock.
Believe it or not, it gets better with age (to a point).

Chris