Old 14-11-2010, 01:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Winter dreaming - small tree

OK - I'm southern NH, but have to treat this area of the yard as warmish
Zone 4 - the wind really creates a very cold microclimate on that side of
the yard, especially around the proposed site - aka the top of the hill.

Needs to be drought tolerant once established, able to take wind and lots
sun. And give me some winter interest and some shade for the bench. Spread -
about 8-10 feet, height maxing at 20 foot. Don't mind pruning but would
object to anything that suckers.

I donąt want an evergreen - in the long view (up the hill) it is backed by
pines, oaks and maples and I think would get lost. Great bark or fruit that
would attract birds....

Go to town folks... I want to make this happen next spring and will be
putting my pennies aside to save for it.

Cheryl

Old 14-11-2010, 03:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

OK - I'm southern NH, but have to treat this area of the yard as warmish
Zone 4 - the wind really creates a very cold microclimate on that side of
the yard, especially around the proposed site - aka the top of the hill.

Needs to be drought tolerant once established, able to take wind and lots
sun. And give me some winter interest and some shade for the bench. Spread -
about 8-10 feet, height maxing at 20 foot. Don't mind pruning but would
object to anything that suckers.

I donąt want an evergreen - in the long view (up the hill) it is backed by
pines, oaks and maples and I think would get lost. Great bark or fruit that
would attract birds....

Go to town folks... I want to make this happen next spring and will be
putting my pennies aside to save for it.

Cheryl

Two of my favorites are Franklinia and Stewartia both however don't
like drought. Do OK here in zone 5 . I have them in shade too another
issue. Took 4 attempts to get the Stewartia take but persistence paid
off. Lovely trees.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stewartia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franklinia

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden
http://www.informationisbeautiful.ne...l-supplements/
Old 14-11-2010, 03:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 14 Nov 2010 08:36:06 -0500, Cheryl Isaak
wrote:

OK - I'm southern NH, but have to treat this area of the yard as warmish
Zone 4 - the wind really creates a very cold microclimate on that side of
the yard, especially around the proposed site - aka the top of the hill.

Needs to be drought tolerant once established, able to take wind and lots
sun. And give me some winter interest and some shade for the bench. Spread -
about 8-10 feet, height maxing at 20 foot. Don't mind pruning but would
object to anything that suckers.

I donąt want an evergreen - in the long view (up the hill) it is backed by
pines, oaks and maples and I think would get lost. Great bark or fruit that
would attract birds....

Go to town folks... I want to make this happen next spring and will be
putting my pennies aside to save for it.

Cheryl

Your ground is not frozen, you can plant now... now is a good time to
check local nurseries for bargains.

Hawthorn is a tree for all seasons, beautiful aromatic flowers in
spring/summer, dense green summer foliage, a prolific producer of
edible bright red fruits, gorgeous long lasting deep crimson fall
foliage, and interesting winter form/bark. Hawthorn is a tough tree,
touts many medicinal uses, and a favorite of song birds. There are
hundreds of varieties of Hawthorn, they make lovely specimen trees,
singularly and in groups.
I have a Washington Hawthorn:
http://i51.tinypic.com/n5fxqx.jpg

Loaded with fruit... taken through my window a few minutes ago:
http://i52.tinypic.com/xo2ums.jpg
Old 15-11-2010, 12:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Cheryl Isaak said:

OK - I'm southern NH, but have to treat this area of the yard as warmish
Zone 4 - the wind really creates a very cold microclimate on that side of
the yard, especially around the proposed site - aka the top of the hill.

Needs to be drought tolerant once established, able to take wind and lots
sun. And give me some winter interest and some shade for the bench.

Spread -
about 8-10 feet, height maxing at 20 foot. Don't mind pruning but would
object to anything that suckers.

I would have recommended a serviceberry, but you might need to clip
some suckers down near the roots once a year. Otherwise, very little
pruning needed.

A cloud of white in the spring, berries to attract a fairly high class
assortment of birds in June, good autmn color. Some winter interest,
especially if, like my specimen, you get a nice mottling of lichens on
the bark.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 26-11-2010, 11:27 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/14/10 10:32 AM, in article
, "Bill who putters"
wrote:

In article ,
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

[...]

Both lovely, but I think this location would not work for either of them.
Thank you!
Cheryl

Old 26-11-2010, 11:32 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Truly drool worthy and also on my short list. Thanks Sheldon

All other thing being equal, I'd have planted a tree this fall. Just
couldn't make it work for many (personal ) reasons.

But, I have filled the hole where the old pine was with leaves and manure
and shredded paper and will top it up when I can over the winter with more.
So I have a good spot in the spring.

Cheryl