GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Multi-colored fall leaves. . . (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/194531-multi-colored-fall-leaves.html)

Ray[_3_] 22-11-2010 03:50 PM

Multi-colored fall leaves. . .

We have planted coral bark Japanese maples (sango kaku) for several years,
mostly with good results.

Our present one, which is five years old and about 10 feet high, produced a
surprise this fall: The usual brilliant golden leaves, but also, on the top
branches, beautiful orange-red leaves.

It was as if there were two trees growing from the same trunk.

The yellow leaves have fallen, but the orange-red leaves are still there as
of late November.

Any idea what could cause this?

Brooklyn1 22-11-2010 06:31 PM

Multi-colored fall leaves. . .

On Mon, 22 Nov 2010 10:50:40 -0500, "Ray"
wrote:

We have planted coral bark Japanese maples (sango kaku) for several years,
mostly with good results.

Our present one, which is five years old and about 10 feet high, produced a
surprise this fall: The usual brilliant golden leaves, but also, on the top
branches, beautiful orange-red leaves.

It was as if there were two trees growing from the same trunk.

The yellow leaves have fallen, but the orange-red leaves are still there as
of late November.

Any idea what could cause this?

Fall foliage color is mostly dependant on mineral content within the
tree and its leaves from the soil in which it is growing, becomes
apparent when photosynthesis ceases during dormancy... your tree's
roots may have entered a stratum of some different soil that is
affecting the newer growth. This new coloration may lessen as the
tree matures and roots spread or it may become more apparent. Only
time will tell... or your Japanese tree may have become bi-racial...
any Norway maples making nightly visits? LOL any

Nanzi 23-11-2010 05:53 PM

Multi-colored fall leaves. . .

On Nov 22, 10:50*am, "Ray" wrote:
We have planted coral bark Japanese maples (sango kaku) for several years,
mostly with good results.

Our present one, which is five years old and about 10 feet high, produced a
surprise this fall: The usual brilliant golden leaves, but also, on the top
branches, beautiful orange-red leaves.

It was as if there were two trees growing from the same trunk.

The yellow leaves have fallen, but the orange-red leaves are still there as
of late November.

Any idea what could cause this?

What a nice colorful surprise. Hope it continues for you to enjoy.
Be sure that there are no sucker branches coming out of the soil or
tree base. If there are, clip them off.
I was told by an arborist that they can take over the tree and change
it completely. I believe this may involve
the treee having been grafted to a different root. This also goes for
the contorted varieties of trees.
Nanzi

gardengal[_2_] 25-11-2010 05:34 PM

Multi-colored fall leaves. . .

On Nov 23, 9:53*am, Nanzi wrote:
On Nov 22, 10:50*am, "Ray" wrote:

[...]

Fall color is highly dependant on climatic factors - warm daytime
temps, cool, crisp nighttime temps, the amount of moisture the tree
received during the growing season and to some extent (but much less)
on soil conditions and so it can be extremely variable. The
pigmentation for 'Sango Kaku' to turn oranges and orange-red is
present genetically and that fall coloring is very common for this
cultivar, provided all other conditions are right. FWIW, anthocyanin -
the pigment that results in orange or red leaf color - also impacts
abscission or the tendency of deciduous plants to lose their leaves.
IOW, they tend to hang on longer than those with just a yellow color.

btw, ALL named Japanese maples are grafted. Seed grown JM's are just
varietals of the species Acer palmatum (cannot be assigned a cultivar
name) and JM's are very unsuccessful just from struck cuttings.

Billy[_10_] 25-11-2010 07:30 PM

Multi-colored fall leaves. . .

In article
,
gardengal wrote:

On Nov 23, 9:53*am, Nanzi wrote:
On Nov 22, 10:50*am, "Ray" wrote:

[...]

In grapes, the color of the fruit (greenish-yellow to dark red) is
produced in the leaves of the vine. As the vine begins to go dormant,
the leaf stem forms an abscission with the cane, trapping the pigments
in the leaves. As a result, the leaves of green grapes turn yellow, and
those of red grapes, red.
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude

Aleena 26-11-2010 12:00 PM

That is interesting. I think that tree having been grafted to a different root. Anyway enjoy the colorful surprise.