GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Watering Pine Tree on top in Winter (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/194565-watering-pine-tree-top-winter.html)

mocean 25-11-2010 03:06 AM

Watering Pine Tree on top in Winter

This is my first time in the forum. There are so many knowledgeable and helpful people here, that I thought someone might have the answer to my question. I have a 20 year old pine that is being hit with water -every- night by my neighbor's wild sprinklers. My understanding is that you shouldn't water pine trees from overhead, especially in Winter when temperatures are freezing. Before I speak with my neighbor, I thought I'd ask the experts here if my pine tree is in any danger. Some of the branches are now bare of needles since this began, but it didn't occur to me that the watering could be causing it. Could this excessive over-the-top watering cause diseases. or weaken my tree making it vulnerable to pests?

Thank you for your help.

Billy[_10_] 25-11-2010 05:10 AM

Watering Pine Tree on top in Winter

In article ,
mocean wrote:

This is my first time in the forum. There are so many knowledgeable and
helpful people here, that I thought someone might have the answer to my
question. I have a 20 year old pine that is being hit with water
-every- night by my neighbor's wild sprinklers. My understanding is that
you shouldn't water pine trees from overhead, especially in Winter when
temperatures are freezing. Before I speak with my neighbor, I thought
I'd ask the experts here if my pine tree is in any danger. Some of the
branches are now bare of needles since this began, but it didn't occur
to me that the watering could be causing it. Could this excessive
over-the-top watering cause diseases. or weaken my tree making it
vulnerable to pests?

Thank you for your help.

Your neighbor waters in the winter? What and why? Water and snow from
above seem like they would be part of any pine's job description.
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude

Brooklyn1 25-11-2010 01:42 PM

Watering Pine Tree on top in Winter

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 21:10:19 -0800, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
mocean wrote:

[...]

Um, many parts of the planet have warm weather in winter. duh

If the neighbor is regularly sprinkling that tree (especially at
night) it will become severely damaged and eventually die... those
defoliated branches will not recoup, they are already dead.

Billy[_10_] 25-11-2010 05:20 PM

Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 21:10:19 -0800, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
mocean wrote:

[...]

Warm winters in the U.K., Shelly? Duh. Don't play dumb with me.

You are playing, aren't you?

gardengal[_2_] 25-11-2010 05:45 PM

Watering Pine Tree on top in Winter

On Nov 24, 9:10*pm, Billy wrote:
In article ,

*mocean wrote:
[...]

merger of state and corporate power." - Benito Mussolini.http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2...01072816515308...

Natural snow or rainfall is quite a bit different than getting pelted
with a sprinkler on a daily or nightly basis :-) And yes, it can be
damaging to the tree, winter or not, and yes, bare branches will not
resprout healthy growth.

I'd speak to your neighbors and let them know a) they are wasting
water by indiscriminate watering with ill-directed sprinklers; b)
unless very dry, few landscape plants require routine watering of any
kind in winter; and c) watering at night is never advised, regardless
of the season. And that they are killing your tree by not paying
closer attention to how their sprinklers are directed.

Brooklyn1 25-11-2010 06:15 PM

Watering Pine Tree on top in Winter

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 09:20:13 -0800, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 21:10:19 -0800, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
mocean wrote:

[...]

You've never been to the UK, have you?

The entire southern portion especially the south like London never
sees more than a very brief freaky light frost that disappears almost
immediately, and maybe every ten years a few freaky flurries. And no
sane person waters this time of year in England... it's constantly
wet, Wet, WET! DUHMB Billy!

Billy[_10_] 25-11-2010 07:23 PM

wrote:

In article ,
Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 21:10:19 -0800, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
mocean wrote:

[...]

Does Heathrow count?

The entire southern portion especially the south like London never
sees more than a very brief freaky light frost that disappears almost
immediately, and maybe every ten years a few freaky flurries. And no
sane person waters this time of year in England... it's constantly
wet, Wet, WET! DUHMB Billy!

Found your bottle again, eh, Shelly? Good for you.
Now explain to me how warm/wet winters have anything to do with the
Salisbury Plain, or whatever it is that you are going on about now.
Locally, the pines in Cazadero get some 85 in. of rain a year and seem
to do just fine. Obviously, pines are neither riparian, or aquatic
plants, which seem to do well in dry temperate climates.

Since the poster identified themselves as being from the U.K., how did
you ever come up with warm winters? Then this seems to clash with your
second wintery example of frost and a few freaky flurries (of snow I
presume).

Is any of this getting through that sotted skull of yours?

You may want to sober-up before you apologize, duh.

gardengal[_2_] 25-11-2010 07:36 PM

wrote:

In article ,
Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 21:10:19 -0800, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
mocean wrote:

[...]

wet, Wet, WET! *DUHMB Billy!- Hide quoted text -

Have YOU ever been to England?? You might want to check this out:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...-south-east.do

Or this from just the year before the above report:
http://www.euronews.net/2009/02/02/s...to-standstill/

London is considered the equivalent of USDA hardiness zone 8, which
translates to an AVERAGE winter minimum temperature of 10-20F (-12 to
-7C), so frosts are not at all that "freaky". There are southern
coastal areas that are included in zone 9 but they are limited in
their scope and even those can receive periodic frosts and snowfall.
Zone 10 locations, which might realistically considered "frost-free"
are even more limited in their scope.

mocean 25-11-2010 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn1 (Post 905867)
On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 21:10:19 -0800, Billy
wrote:

In article
,
mocean
lid wrote:

[...]

Yes, it rarely drops into the 30's in Southern California, but it does get cold this time of year. It was 38f last night. I'm not sure but, I think my neighbor is watering some wild grasses at night to help them spread across about 1/3 of an acre. It's too windy during the day to water. I'm only guessing as I haven't asked him why he's watering.

Yes, the branches have lost -all- their needles and the branches themselves are dead now. One just broke off in the wind today. The branches are only going bare where the water is hitting them. I just didn't think it would be devastating to the tree since it's endured drastic fluctuations in weather for so many years. However, now that I can see that the branches are devoid of needles -and- dead, I am very concerned. I only hope my neighbor is nice about this. If this tree dies, it'll cost me a fortune to have it removed.

Thank you.

mocean 25-11-2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gardengal[_2_] (Post 905889)
On Nov 24, 9:10*pm, Billy wrote:
In article ,

*mocean wrote:
[...]

I am going to speak with them tomorrow. I don't normally interfere with how my neighbors want to maintain their landscaping so, if he wants to water at night in all directions, he's free to do so. I just can't have him killing my pine tree. Once it's dead, the fire dept will be after me to remove it. That'll cost around 2K. I was thinking I should probably notify him in writing via certified mail so that if his actions do kill my tree, I have an avenue for recouping my costs.

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 25-11-2010 10:35 PM

Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 21:10:19 -0800, Billy
wrote:

In article ,
mocean wrote:

[...]

Could you explain how the branches will be damaged?

David

mocean 25-11-2010 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy[_10_] (Post 905854)
In article ,
mocean
lid wrote:

[...]

Maude Barlow: "The World Has Divided into Rich and Poor as at No Time in History"
Israel cracks down on dissent - Middle East - Al Jazeera English

My apologies. I know this is a UK forum, but I live in Southern California in the USA. I posed my question here because, of all the forums I visited, this forum seemed to offer far more information from far more knowledgeable people than I found elsewhere. I apologize for any confusion I may have caused and hope I am still welcome here.

Brooklyn1 26-11-2010 04:47 PM

Watering Pine Tree on top in Winter

On Thu, 25 Nov 2010 22:29:28 +0000, mocean
wrote:

Brooklyn1;905867 Wrote:
On Wed, 24 Nov 2010 21:10:19 -0800, Billy
wrote:
-
In article
,
mocean
lid wrote:
-
[...]

The damage to your tree is due to your neglecting to confront your
neighbor... WTF are you waiting for... in all probability he hasn't a
clue that he's destroyng your tree. And in the US it's at minimum a
legal trespass to water a neighbor's property, when intentional it's
an assault... his watering your tree is the same as if you had your
Porche parked in your driveway with the top down and your neighbor's
sprinkler filled it with water... take pictures and also advise in
writing sent by certified mail and have him pay to remove your
dead/damaged tree and pay to replace it. If you caught your neighbor
screwing your wife you could hold her liable, but here you can't blame
your tree.

Una 01-12-2010 02:53 PM

Watering Pine Tree on top in Winter

Plants in the understory of tropical forest tend to become filthy with
algae and lichens, dead insects, and poop. Only the newest leaves look
as shiny and clean as a well kept houseplant. Rain helps only a little
because while it may wash off some debris, it brings more debris down
from the canopy above, and the algae etc flourish.

As for desertification in the cradle of humanity, people who make their
livings by studying this say the single most important factor has been
centuries of intensive and large scale resource extraction. That means
clear cut logging followed by commercial agriculture in which harvests
are not followed by return of organic matter to the soil. The great
cities of history and prehistory alike have been on waterways, aka giant
sewers. All food and wood for building and cooking and heating for
millions of people living in relative luxury is imported and consumed,
and what is not burned is flushed into the water and goes to the bottom
of the sea. None is returned to the agricultural soil. The result is
steady depletion of organic matter and reduced ability to retain water
in the soil. This contributes to erosion and further loss of that
ability.

A similar trend has occurred in history, in the southwestern United
States. In Spanish Colonial times the land supported vast quantities
of grazing animals. Not anymore.

Una

Brooklyn1 07-12-2010 08:04 PM

Watering Pine Tree on top in Winter

On Tue, 07 Dec 2010 13:25:01 -0600, wrote:

On Wed, 1 Dec 2010 07:53:16 -0700 (MST),
(Una) wrote:
in the Amazon it is now happening because of climate change. the rains have moved and
the trees are dying.

As for desertification in the cradle of humanity, people who make their
livings by studying this say the single most important factor has been
centuries of intensive and large scale resource extraction.

What clairvoyant claptrap n' gobbledygook... these guys are laughing
at yoose:
http://i55.tinypic.com/jh37l1.jpg