Old 28-11-2010, 10:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default ID this plant

Came up in one of the rose beds. Didn't pull it out because foliage
looked interesting. Anybody recognize?

IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/2aafqf5.jpg[/IMG]

TIA

HB
Old 28-11-2010, 11:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Higgs Boson" wrote

Came up in one of the rose beds. Didn't pull it out because foliage
looked interesting. Anybody recognize?

http://i55.tinypic.com/2aafqf5.jpg

Looks familiar. No name for it but coastal southern east coast and maybe
Corpus Christi Texas? I'm thinking mostly along the SC/NC coastal areas.
Might be in other places of course. If I'm placing it right, doesn't get
very tall (2ft max?) and not hard to control at all in beds. Interesting
looking brownish purple and considered a weed by most.

Old 29-11-2010, 12:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"cshenk" wrote:

"Higgs Boson" wrote

Came up in one of the rose beds. Didn't pull it out because foliage
looked interesting. Anybody recognize?

http://i55.tinypic.com/2aafqf5.jpg

Looks familiar. No name for it but coastal southern east coast and maybe
Corpus Christi Texas? I'm thinking mostly along the SC/NC coastal areas.
Might be in other places of course. If I'm placing it right, doesn't get
very tall (2ft max?) and not hard to control at all in beds. Interesting
looking brownish purple and considered a weed by most.

Perhaps related to sorrel.

http://images.google.com/images?q=so...biw=1553&bih=8
66

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

Old 29-11-2010, 01:12 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/28/10 2:34 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
Came up in one of the rose beds. Didn't pull it out because foliage
looked interesting. Anybody recognize?

IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/2aafqf5.jpg[/IMG]

TIA

HB

Where are you? What is your climate? Have you seen anything like this
in neighboring gardens or growing wild?

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 29-11-2010, 01:20 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Nov 28, 2:34*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
Came up in one of the rose beds. *Didn't pull it out because foliage
looked interesting. *Anybody recognize?

IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/2aafqf5.jpg[/IMG]

TIA

HB

Hi
It could be Dodonaea 'Purpurea' Purple Hopseed Bush

Emilie

Old 29-11-2010, 02:43 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/28/10 5:20 PM, mleblanca wrote:
On Nov 28, 2:34 pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
Came up in one of the rose beds. Didn't pull it out because foliage
looked interesting. Anybody recognize?

IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/2aafqf5.jpg[/IMG]

TIA

HB

Hi
It could be Dodonaea 'Purpurea' Purple Hopseed Bush

Emilie

That's what I thought. Without knowing where it is growing, however,
I'm not sure.

Old 29-11-2010, 02:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Nov 28, 5:12*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:
On 11/28/10 2:34 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Came up in one of the rose beds. *Didn't pull it out because foliage
looked interesting. *Anybody recognize?

IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/2aafqf5.jpg[/IMG]

TIA

HB

Where are you? *What is your climate? *Have you seen anything like this
in neighboring gardens or growing wild?

--
David E. Ross
Climate: *California Mediterranean

Santa Monica CA. So. Calif coastal, Mediterranean. US 8

Never seen.

HN
Old 29-11-2010, 02:49 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Nov 28, 5:20*pm, mleblanca wrote:
On Nov 28, 2:34*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:

Came up in one of the rose beds. *Didn't pull it out because foliage
looked interesting. *Anybody recognize?

IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/2aafqf5.jpg[/IMG]

TIA

HB

Hi
It could be Dodonaea 'Purpurea' *Purple Hopseed Bush

Emilie

Very good call! I went there and the leaves look very similar.
So I will leave it to do its thing for a while and see what happens.

Thank you!

HB
Old 29-11-2010, 03:28 AM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/28/10 6:49 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Nov 28, 5:20 pm, mleblanca wrote:
On Nov 28, 2:34 pm, Higgs Boson wrote:

Came up in one of the rose beds. Didn't pull it out because foliage
looked interesting. Anybody recognize?

IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/2aafqf5.jpg[/IMG]

TIA

HB

Hi
It could be Dodonaea 'Purpurea' Purple Hopseed Bush

Emilie

Very good call! I went there and the leaves look very similar.
So I will leave it to do its thing for a while and see what happens.

Thank you!

HB

Yes, in Santa Monica, this could indeed be Dodonaea. It's widely
planted in southern California. I see several in my own neighborhood.

Watch out! It can grow into a very large shrub -- to 15 feet tall and
almost as wide -- and crowd out your rose.

Old 29-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post
Came up in one of the rose beds. Didn't pull it out because foliage
looked interesting. Anybody recognize?

IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/2aafqf5.jpg[/IMG]

TIA

HB
yes. its definantly Dodonea viscosa 'Purpurea' , it makes a beautiful bushy evergreen shrub and has large reddish purple seed pods. It grows very well down here In Cornwall uk, as its incredibly salt tolerant but its main attribute is its resistance to drought, so Ideal in a tub. it seems to be hardy down to -4 celcius and benefits from spring pruning. I grow alot from seed and I would imagine this is how you got yours.
best wishes, Lannerman

Old 30-11-2010, 03:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Nov 29, 1:01*pm, lannerman
wrote:
Higgs Boson;906212 Wrote:

Came up in one of the rose beds. *Didn't pull it out because foliage
looked interesting. *Anybody recognize?

IMG]http://i55.tinypic.com/2aafqf5.jpg[/IMG]

TIA

HB

yes. its definantly Dodonea viscosa 'Purpurea' , it makes a beautiful
bushy evergreen shrub and has large reddish purple seed pods. It grows
very well down here In Cornwall uk, as its incredibly salt tolerant but
its main attribute is its resistance to drought, so Ideal in a tub. it
seems to be hardy down to -4 celcius and benefits from spring pruning. I
grow alot from seed and I would imagine this is how you got yours.
best wishes, Lannerman

Thanks, Lannerman -- but I didn't plant it. It just volunteered one
day, and as I wrote earlier, the foliage was so attractive that I
thought I'd let it grow for a while. With all the good input from the
NG, I am definitely going to nurture it.

Tx to all

HB

--
lannerman