Old 29-11-2010, 08:04 PM
Registered User

Default Privacy

Hi everyone

First time post.
Got a bit of a problem require privacy in my garden but the boundary fence is my neighbours and is only 3ft high and they dont want to replace it for a higher one. The next problem is that I only have a narrow gap to plant and a supporting wall for the rest of the garden. What could I grow that will be high for privacy but would grow over next doors and the roots wont effect my supporting wall. My thoughts were bamboo but is there a better option I havent thought of. Any ideas will be great
Old 30-11-2010, 03:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Nov 29, 12:04*pm, gardening girl gardening.girl.
wrote:
Hi everyone

First time post.
Got a bit of a problem require privacy in my garden but the boundary
fence is my neighbours and is only 3ft high and they dont want to
replace it for a higher one. *The next problem is that I only have a
narrow gap to plant and a supporting wall for the rest of the garden.
What could I grow that will be high for privacy but would grow over next
doors and the roots wont affect my supporting wall. *My thoughts were
bamboo but is there a better option I havent thought of. Any ideas will
be great

Don't understand "grow over next doors".

What is your climate?

How long is the boundary fence?

Huge caution about bamboo. Unless you get a variety that doesn't
spread underground, it will take over everything and will be very
difficult to remove. How narrow is your planting gap? You could do a
Web search for plants that meet your needs.

Aside from planting a privacy border, you could always build your own
fence just inside the neighbor's, as tall as your local code permits.

HB

--
gardening girl

Old 30-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Registered User

the boundary fence length which needs privacy is 4 foot. The fence is also on a bank going up. I only have about a foot of room to plant. Not growing over next doors means no branches which will grow over the boundary fence. Would I be ok with clump growing bamboo or not? Any help will be great
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post

Old 30-11-2010, 09:49 PM posted to rec.gardens

gardening girl wrote:

the boundary fence length which needs privacy is 4 foot. The fence is
also on a bank going up. I only have about a foot of room to plant.
Not growing over next doors means no branches which will grow over the
boundary fence. Would I be ok with clump growing bamboo or not? Any
help will be great

Bamboo is an extremely invasive plant. I vote no.
Old 30-11-2010, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

gardening girl wrote:

the boundary fence length which needs privacy is 4 foot. The fence is
also on a bank going up. I only have about a foot of room to plant.
Not growing over next doors means no branches which will grow over the
boundary fence. Would I be ok with clump growing bamboo or not? Any
help will be great

Erect your own privacy fence, on your property, a taller fence... a 4'
length of stockade 6' tall and two fence posts couldn't cost more than
US$50.

Old 30-11-2010, 10:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

gardening girl wrote:
the boundary fence length which needs privacy is 4 foot.

So how high would the tree/shrub need to be to give you privacy?

As asked before, how long is the fence?

Are you prepared to prune a hedge often or must it grow without any
attention?

The fence is
also on a bank going up. I only have about a foot of room to plant.

Why do you only have a foot? Why can't you plant more on to your property
away from the fence?

Not growing over next doors means no branches which will grow over the
boundary fence. Would I be ok with clump growing bamboo or not? Any
help will be great

What is your climate? Where approximately are you?

There is no point in people making recommendations for trees or shrubs that
will not grow well (at all) where you live. You are not giving us much to
go on. These questions are asked to try to give you a useful answer not to
be nosy.

David

PS Try bottom posting, it makes conversations much easier to follow as you
can read them from top to bottom.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 11/30/2010 03:59 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
gardening wrote:

the boundary fence length which needs privacy is 4 foot. The fence is
also on a bank going up. I only have about a foot of room to plant.
Not growing over next doors means no branches which will grow over the
boundary fence. Would I be ok with clump growing bamboo or not? Any
help will be great

Erect your own privacy fence, on your property, a taller fence... a 4'
length of stockade 6' tall and two fence posts couldn't cost more than
US$50.

Get some old, fat, ugly men to wander around your yard half naked.
Your neighbors will build a fence for you.

--
Reduce the federal budget buy not giving money to foreign countries.

Old 01-12-2010, 05:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

gardening wrote:

the boundary fence length which needs privacy is 4 foot. The fence is
also on a bank going up. I only have about a foot of room to plant.
Not growing over next doors means no branches which will grow over the
boundary fence. Would I be ok with clump growing bamboo or not? Any
help will be great

Erect your own privacy fence, on your property, a taller fence... a 4'
length of stockade 6' tall and two fence posts couldn't cost more than
US$50.

Get some old, fat, ugly man to wander around your yard half naked.
Your neighbors will build a fence for you.

Seems you're applying for the position. LOL
Old 01-12-2010, 10:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

gardening wrote:

the boundary fence length which needs privacy is 4 foot. The fence is
also on a bank going up. I only have about a foot of room to plant.
Not growing over next doors means no branches which will grow over the
boundary fence. Would I be ok with clump growing bamboo or not? Any
help will be great

Erect your own privacy fence, on your property, a taller fence... a 4'
length of stockade 6' tall and two fence posts couldn't cost more than
US$50.

Get some old, fat, ugly man to wander around your yard half naked.
Your neighbors will build a fence for you.

Seems you're applying for the position. LOL

I do fit that example. :-)

Old 02-12-2010, 05:28 PM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

the boundary fence length which needs privacy is 4
foot. The fence is
also on a bank going up. I only have about a foot of
room to plant.
Not growing over next doors means no branches which
will grow over the
boundary fence. Would I be ok with clump growing
bamboo or not? Any
help will be great

Erect your own privacy fence, on your property, a taller
fence... a 4'
length of stockade 6' tall and two fence posts couldn't
cost more than
US$50.

Get some old, fat, ugly man to wander around your yard
half naked.
Your neighbors will build a fence for you.

but you're forgetting the neighbors! Maybe that's the
reason
they don't want a higher fence.

Donna
WA zone 8-9

privacy screen rb Lawns 1 22-05-2003 03:56 AM
disappearing privacy Sid United Kingdom 1 12-04-2003 12:32 PM
ideas for privacy/border shrub? Two x over Gardening 5 21-03-2003 07:08 PM
Privacy Hedge... Chris S. Gardening 7 16-03-2003 04:56 AM
privacy needed martin United Kingdom 11 20-02-2003 04:16 PM