Old 03-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Registered User

Default chrysamthemum

Hi All, we brought a mum from a local store 2yrs ago, in a pot, it flowered then looked like it died, back in the spring the other half planted it in the garden, it has grown to over 6ft tall, and flowered yellow flowers about 4in across, it is a chrysamthemum, i have checked the leaves with others that we have , but I have never seen one grow so tall as this , any ideas as to what type it is? going to try and get a photo on here.. thanks ...
Old 03-12-2010, 05:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

--
trand

Ones purchased from nurseries and garden centers have typically been
treated by the growers with growth retardants to keep them small and
compact. Once established in the ground or allowed to outgrow these
treatments, mums can get quite tall. They can be cut or pinched back
periodically during the growing season to keep them shorter, with the
last cutting around mid-July. This also helps to increase the number
of flowering stems or bud formation. Most garden mums are
hybrids......and there are literally hundreds of different cultivars
with various colors, heights, bloom types and times.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
gardengal wrote:

On Dec 3, 4:58*am, trand wrote:
[...]

We have tried to grow mums here ( Football Mums) and failed whereas my
father-in-law had success. 50 miles a way but his soil was very sandy.
We treat them like annuals like other plants we donąt understand
culture of.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

Daniel Moynihan and Dennis Kucinich in 2012 !

Old 03-12-2010, 08:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bill who putters wrote:
In article
,
gardengal wrote:

On Dec 3, 4:58 am, trand wrote:
[...]

We treat them like annuals like other plants we donÂąt understand
culture of.

They grow like weeds here. I cut them to the ground and they still keep
coming up. I don't even think I could kill them. In the spring I cut a
hole in the center so they do not split in the center when they get
tall, about four feet, I also trim them back a bit in June when they
get about two feet tall.

I have them around my back deck. One headache is bees love mums and I
have a fun time just sitting on the back deck wondering how long it will
bee, pun, before I get stung.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:44 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trand View Post
Hi All, we brought a mum from a local store 2yrs ago, in a pot, it flowered then looked like it died, back in the spring the other half planted it in the garden, it has grown to over 6ft tall, and flowered yellow flowers about 4in across, it is a chrysamthemum, i have checked the leaves with others that we have , but I have never seen one grow so tall as this , any ideas as to what type it is? going to try and get a photo on here.. thanks ...
Hi Trand. as previously mentioned there are thousands of varieties now grown as 'pot mums'. I grew them professionally in the 70's. As you may know, they flower when the days and night are of equal length, hence autumn flowering, so, to grow them all the year, we used blackout material to shorten the summer days to 12 hours and conversely strings of lights over them to extend the short winter nights to 12 hours. Now, to make a shorter bushier plant for the garden, again as previously suggested, cut them back several times and each time you do this, they will rebranch, giving you a much shorter plant ultimately. The only draw back with doing this is that you will end up often with a bush covered in much smaller flowers but it will be shorter!!
You could also try watering it with whiskey, of course, then it will grow Half cut Haaaaaaaaaaaa (sorry, couldnt resist that)
best wishes, Lannerman