Old 12-12-2010, 04:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default swarm_intelligence_in_plants

Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
In article ,
Dan L wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
Dan L wrote:

Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 10:11:50 -0500, wrote:

Bill who putters writes:

"The idea that plants basically have nerves ‹ a conclusion
that
grows
out of hard-to-interpret observations of electrical activity in
plant
tissue ‹ has ignited a thunderstorm of its own among plant
scientists in
recent years.

Article in question is a semantic game.

Here they are attempting to stretch the meaning of the phrase
"swarm intelligence".

Plants reacting to the environment is in no way intelligence as
the
word is commonly understood.

That's a matter of perspective. Flora survives well without
fauna
but
not vice versa... plants have obviously evolved a higher form of
intelligence... reproduction and photosynthesis from the
perspective
of plants is the higher intelligence... only humans make asinine
superiority judgements.

Maaaaybbee, plants do have the smarts in a way. Plants have me
trained
to water and feed them on a regular basis. I groom the intelligent
grass
that makes it attractive. The plants have also trained me to help
them
to propagate... The plants do have a higher intelligence than
humans...

OH NO! GAIA is the real GOD and I am now scared! Kneeling... Hands
together...
Oh lord GAIA, I pray to thee Vegetable Garden that nourishes my
body...

Michael Pollan refers to this as a literary conceit.
http://michaelpollan.com/videos/michael-pollan-at-ted/

I could not read the link, do I need the TED application?
Is literary conceit the same as sarcasm?

No.

My family members are very strong fundamentalist authoritative
christian
types.

My condolences.
Violence is out of the question, therefore I alway resort to SARCASM
when it comes to religious, political and philosophical views.

Resorting to SARCASM personifies EVIL!
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sarcasm

Perhaqps you should learn to use "facetious".
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/facetious

I take the latter, facetious then.

I have my own definition of Good and Evil. Evil is one that harms the
tribe in which one lives within. In my book religions are harmful to
society. So I can insult religion and feel good about it

Old 13-12-2010, 08:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

Some veges that post on usenet seem to be.

David

And the angel of the lord came unto me, snatching me up from my place of
slumber. And took me on high, and higher still until we moved to the
spaces betwixt the air itself. And he brought me into a vast farmlands
of our own Midwest. And as we descended, cries of impending doom rose
from the soil. One thousand, nay a million voices full of fear. And
terror possessed me then.

And I begged, "Angel of the Lord, what are these tortured screams?" And
the angel said unto me, "These are the cries of the carrots, the cries
of the carrots! You see, tomorrow is harvest day and to them it is the
holocaust." And I sprang from my slumber drenched in sweat like the
tears of one million terrified brothers and roared, "Hear me now, I have
seen the light! They have a consciousness, they have a life, they have a
soul! Damn you! Let the rabbits wear glasses! Save our brothers!" Can I
get an amen? Can I get a hallelujah? Thank you Jesus.

--
The word "urgent" is the moral of the story "The boy who cried wolf". As
a general rule I don't believe it until a manager comes to me almost in
Old 14-12-2010, 12:15 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Cipher wrote:

[...]

And as the sun pulls away from the dock, and our boat sinks into the
harbor, we bid farewell to La-la-land.
--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyE5wjc4XOw
Old 14-12-2010, 12:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

Cipher wrote:
[...]

I am acquainted via usenet with a radical Hare Krishna (no relation of mine)
who is certain that plants have souls. When asked isn't this a little
inconvenient for heterotrophs like humans (or rabbits), where every meal
would therefore send a great many little souls around for another turn on
the Wheel, he gives no reply. There is no accounting for taste in either
food or philosophy.

David

Old 14-12-2010, 12:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Cipher wrote:
[...]

I feel better that some one is crazier than I
http://www.delawarelitigation.com/20...lity-disorder/

Old 14-12-2010, 06:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 11, 5:38*am, Bill who putters wrote:
"The idea that plants basically have nerves a conclusion that grows
out of hard-to-interpret observations of electrical activity in plant
tissue has ignited a thunderstorm of its own among plant scientists in
recent years.
The use of the word intelligence (with or without swarm) simply
humanizes (or animalizes, since they talk about swarms) the situation,
says David Robinson or the University of Heidelberg in Germany. Such
silly terminology, in his words, reduces serious plant science to the
level of esoterics.
However, he s not disputing the ability of plants to solve complicated
strategic problems. Of course, he says, it s well known that roots
have cognitive abilities. "

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/gene...ption/Rooting_...
swarm_intelligence_in_plants

--
Bill *S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"Always tell the truth and you don't have to remember anything."
--Mark Twain.

Plant cells communicate with each other, but they do so with
hormones, not nervous impulses. A terminal vegetative bud,
for example, produces auxins which tell lower vegetative buds
not to grow and associated root tips to grow to help feed the
new growth.