Old 15-12-2010, 01:02 AM
Registered User

Default Bedroom Plants

Hi,

I want to purchase a plant for my room. I know all plants give off Oxygen but are there any plants in particular that give off more Oxygen then others and if so does anyone know what they are called please?

Thanks
Old 15-12-2010, 04:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

Bhavick wrote:
Hi,

I want to purchase a plant for my room. I know all plants give off
Oxygen but are there any plants in particular that give off more
Oxygen then others and if so does anyone know what they are called
please?

Thanks

The ones that are doing the most photosynthesis, which would be the ones
growing fast in sunlight which you don't have in your bedroom.

David

Old 15-12-2010, 12:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Bhavick wrote:
Hi,

I want to purchase a plant for my room. I know all plants give off
Oxygen but are there any plants in particular that give off more
Oxygen then others and if so does anyone know what they are called
please?

Thanks

The ones that are doing the most photosynthesis, which would be the
ones growing fast in sunlight which you don't have in your bedroom.

David

Spider plants give off the most oxygen for an indoor plant. Spider
plants have the least problems also. One thing about spider plants, they
can be poisonous to cats.

Old 15-12-2010, 03:09 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bhavick wrote:

I want to purchase a plant for my room. I know all plants give off
Oxygen but are there any plants in particular that give off more Oxygen
then others and if so does anyone know what they are called please?

02 generating plant:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=
Old 15-12-2010, 03:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/15/2010 10:09 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Bhavick wrote:

I want to purchase a plant for my room. I know all plants give off
Oxygen but are there any plants in particular that give off more Oxygen
then others and if so does anyone know what they are called please?

02 generating plant:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=

[citation needed] for their claim "More healthy level is 30% [O2]".

--
The word "urgent" is the moral of the story "The boy who cried wolf". As
a general rule I don't believe it until a manager comes to me almost in

Old 15-12-2010, 03:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
Una Una is offline

Yup, plants in the dark *use* oxygen.

Una

Old 15-12-2010, 05:19 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Bhavick wrote:
Hi,

I want to purchase a plant for my room. I know all plants give off
Oxygen but are there any plants in particular that give off more
Oxygen then others and if so does anyone know what they are called
please?

Thanks

The ones that are doing the most photosynthesis, which would be the ones
growing fast in sunlight which you don't have in your bedroom.

David

Full sunlight, well watered and amended soil, and 85F (30C) temp.
--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyE5wjc4XOw
Old 15-12-2010, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 15, 7:17*am, (Una) wrote:
Yup, plants in the dark *use* oxygen.

* * * * Una

I'm not sure you can say they *use* oxygen.....during the day when
photosynthesis is going on, they emit oxygen but at night when
photosynthesis is NOT active they release carbon dioxide. Not quite
the same as *using* oxygen :-) Many - if not most - houseplants are
considered to be beneficial to indoor air quality. In addition to
releasing oxygen, they also are able to filter various toxins. The
issue is the light levels during the day when photosynthesis is
active. Ideally, you would want pretty high light levels so as to
maximize photosynthesis but at night the issue is moot. Googling will
turn up various listings of plants considered being the most efficient
at improving indoor air quality; here is one to get you going:
http://www.dannylipford.com/best-hou...r-air-quality/

Several of these are tolerant of quite low light levels so may be more
appropriate for a bedroom wher light levels, even during the day, tend
to be low. I'd include the peace lily, English ivy, pothos and the
spider plant among these. FWIW, spider plants will grow ANYWHERE and
since they are generally a hanging plant, typically above the reach of
most pets.
Old 15-12-2010, 05:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
gardengal wrote:

On Dec 15, 7:17*am, (Una) wrote:
[...]

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/a...l/houseplt2.ht
ml

"In a laboratory test, a spider plant placed in a sealed chamber filled
with formaldehyde gas reduced the concentration by 85 percent within 24
hours. In an average-sized house, as few as 15 plants might
significantly cleanse the air"

We have three spider plants but no formaldehyde hopefully.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"Always tell the truth and you don't have to remember anything."
--Mark Twain.

Old 15-12-2010, 08:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dan L wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Bhavick wrote:
Hi,

I want to purchase a plant for my room. I know all plants give off
Oxygen but are there any plants in particular that give off more
Oxygen then others and if so does anyone know what they are called
please?

Thanks

The ones that are doing the most photosynthesis, which would be the
ones growing fast in sunlight which you don't have in your bedroom.

David

Spider plants give off the most oxygen for an indoor plant. Spider
plants have the least problems also. One thing about spider plants,
they can be poisonous to cats.

How do you know this?

Old 15-12-2010, 08:50 PM posted to rec.gardens

Bill who putters wrote:
In article
,
gardengal wrote:

On Dec 15, 7:17 am, (Una) wrote:
[...]

And hopefully the OP doesn't have it in his bedroom.

Old 15-12-2010, 08:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

gardengal wrote:
On Dec 15, 7:17 am, (Una) wrote:
[...]

Whether these plants absorb pollution is a different question.

Old 15-12-2010, 11:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
gardengal wrote:

On Dec 15, 7:17*am, (Una) wrote:
Yup, plants in the dark *use* oxygen.

* * * * Una

I'm not sure you can say they *use* oxygen.....

http://www.ehow.com/about_5449614_plant-respiration.html
The presence or absence of oxygen determines how the process
(respiration) will progress. If oxygen is present, products from
glycolysis will be used within the mitochondria, or energy centers, of
the cell, to continue respiration. If oxygen is not present,
fermentation, a less efficient use of energy, occurs.

Old 16-12-2010, 02:10 AM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Dan L wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Bhavick wrote:
Hi,
I want to purchase a plant for my room. I know all plants give off
Oxygen but are there any plants in particular that give off more
Oxygen then others and if so does anyone know what they are called
please?
Thanks
The ones that are doing the most photosynthesis, which would be the
ones growing fast in sunlight which you don't have in your bedroom.
David
Spider plants give off the most oxygen for an indoor plant. Spider

plants have the least problems also. One thing about spider plants,
they can be poisonous to cats.

How do you know this?

It was a discussion in the Master Gardener class on indoor plants.
Instructor talking about spider plants being the best to remove toxins from
the room. Also a side benefit was more oxygen was produced in the process.

http://www.ehow.com/list_6626617_hig...se-plants.html

Old 16-12-2010, 02:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

Dan L wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Dan L wrote:
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:
Bhavick wrote:
[...]

Most of the references including this one seem to ultimately stem from the
NASA clean air study which was all about the ability of common house plants
to remove toxins from the environment. It did not measure the oxygen
produced. Your ref mentions "a study in 1985" which I cannot track down.
No doubt general statements that plants do produce an excess of oxygen in
the long term are true. I remain very sceptical that the amount of oxygen
that indoor plants could produce in a normal bedroom would be discernible or
sufficient to be of any benefit.

David.