Old 20-12-2010, 07:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Growing grass for cat & artificial light

I have an indoor cat that I grow a small pot of grass in a south facing
window for. Lately with the storms, there is no sun light. I have a 2 bulb,
36" flourescent light setup over my model railroad, just shop lights I
suppose, and I am wondering if this light would benefit the grass? Thanks.

--
Paul O.

Old 20-12-2010, 09:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article , "Paul"
wrote:

I have an indoor cat that I grow a small pot of grass in a south facing
window for. Lately with the storms, there is no sun light.

There is sunlight, even if you can't see it. It may not be of the best
qualit for growing plants, but it is there.
I have a 2 bulb,
36" flourescent light setup over my model railroad, just shop lights I
suppose, and I am wondering if this light would benefit the grass?

Yes, but not so much as a a real grow light.
Thanks.

You may want to swap out your grass for catnip.
--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyE5wjc4XOw
Old 20-12-2010, 11:53 PM
BobWalsh's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Chicago

Hi Paul,

You can get 60 Watt grow light bulbs that fit into regular light sockets. This bulb would be sufficient to cover your pot.

You may also think about getting Gro-Lux light tubes. This way you can put some additional plants under the tubes to benefit from the light.

Bob
__________________
For information on growing Plumerias, Frangipani, visit http://www.BobWalshPlumeriaCare101.com.
Old 21-12-2010, 04:20 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 22:53:50 +0000, BobWalsh
wrote:

'Billy[_10_ Wrote:
;908098']In article , "Paul"

wrote:
-
I have an indoor cat that I grow a small pot of grass in a south facing

window for. Lately with the storms, there is no sun light. -
There is sunlight, even if you can't see it. It may not be of the best
qualit for growing plants, but it is there.-
I have a 2 bulb,
36" flourescent light setup over my model railroad, just shop lights I

suppose, and I am wondering if this light would benefit the grass? -
Yes, but not so much as a a real grow light.-
Thanks.-
You may want to swap out your grass for catnip.
--
- Billy
'YouTube - \"Jerry Falwell's God\" by Roy Zimmerman'
(
http://tinyurl.com/2p428j)
'YouTube - We Can't Make It Here' (http://tinyurl.com/nuot74)

Hi Paul,

You can get 60 Watt grow light bulbs that fit into regular light
sockets. This bulb would be sufficient to cover your pot.

You may also think about getting Gro-Lux light tubes. This way you can
put some additional plants under the tubes to benefit from the light.

Bob

It's far more important for an indoor cat to recieve full sun several
hours each day than to chomp grass from which they receive no benefit
whatsoever... obviously you're growing that grass selfishly for your
own entertainment. Quality cat food contains all the nutrition a cat
needs except UV and Vitamin D. Give your cats access to every window
so they can follow the sun.

Old 21-12-2010, 09:47 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Brooklyn1" Gravesend1 wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Dec 2010 22:53:50 +0000, BobWalsh
wrote:

'Billy[_10_ Wrote:
;908098']In article , "Paul"

wrote:
-
[...]

Greens aid digestion & allegedly help give some relief from hairballs. Even
if not, cats crave them for some reason, so when you give it to them it is
still a "benefit." If you don't provide it, and you have any houseplants,
guess what happens next.

Grass as grown for cats or people will do just fine in a southern window,
just turn the pot occasionally as the blades reach for the sun, if you like.
A few cloudy days isn't going to make any real difference. Been a while
since I had a cat, but IIRC soon enough you will be starting a new crop in
fresh substrate anyway.

Old 09-04-2011, 05:58 PM
Registered User

It's far added important for an calm cat to recieve abounding sun several hours anniversary day than to chaw grass from which they accept no benefit whatsoever, acutely you're growing that grass selfishly for your own entertainment.
hydroponic
Old 09-04-2011, 06:29 PM
Registered User

A feral cat knocked on my door and I let him in but when I am outside with him he will eat grass. I beleive it helps his digestion system but since he doesn't talk to me that's what I will assume since there are enough rodents for him to hunt so why eat grass so I don't find it strange that a house cat to want to nibble but there are many cat haters in the world so don't allow your ambition to be denounced.