Old 21-12-2010, 12:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Environment credit cards

Higgs Boson wrote:
On Dec 20, 6:13 pm, John McGaw wrote:
On 12/20/2010 3:37 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

I am leaving Bank of America, where I have a MasterCard and Visa, both
with environmental "affinity" groups. I looked for other
environmental/nature/animal welfare cards, but B of A seems to have a
strangle-hold on that market.

Since many gardeners, if not most, are attuned to nature, including
growing things, I wondered if anybody knew of an environmental Visa
or M/C not connected with B of A.

I even looked at my alumni association, and they, too, are in the
toils of B of A. Which, BTW, is not the old California B of A with
its long history, but some outfit in the South.

(Note: Reason I am leaving is that they cut off services to WikiLeaks
(plus they have lousy service). I'm also discontinuing purchase sfrom
Amazon, which did the same thing, and letting them know why.)

HB

Well, you could get a Ducks Unlimited card which is offered through MBNA.

MBNA has been swallowed by B of A.

But why don't you just do a google search for '[name of group] credit card'
or 'environmental affinity card' and see what you turn up (that is what I
just did) and weed out the BofA ones. Or you might check
athttp://greenbankreport.com/tag/affinity-cards/and see what they have
information about - there are at least a few.

Thanks for message. Actually, I did exactly what you suggest: Plugged
in the name of each group, but lo & behold, they are all in B of A's
clutches! I didn't find a single of the large enviro groups that
wasn't.

I did go to to the green report site you mentioned, thank you, and
found an interesting bank called PNC which advertises itself as very
"green". I'm in CA and they are in the East, which isn't really a
deterrent, since I pay my credit card bills on-line. So I may check
them out.

Probably the easiest is just to separate these two things: 1.
Increase my giving to [groups], and 2. go for the credit card sthat
suit me best.

Appreciate your help.

HB

You have credit cards... WOW!
I thought credit cards went the way of the Dodo bird, just like the small
banks.
Shirly, I mean surely, you mean Debit cards

Old 21-12-2010, 04:05 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dan L wrote:

You have credit cards... WOW!
I thought credit cards went the way of the Dodo bird, just like the small
banks. Shirly, I mean surely, you mean Debit cards

Mostly it's the impoverished poor schnucks who use debit cards... they
can't qualify for credit because they already owe more than they will
ever repay... everytime at a checkout it's the schmuck with the debit
card who has to put stuff back because mid month they already blew
their entire wad, typically on scratch-off lotto, cigs, and brewski.
Just yesterday a frumpy broad dragging two rug rats and one infant in
a carrier had to decide between Pampers, a case of Coors and two packs
of Kools, she put back the Pampers.
Old 21-12-2010, 06:10 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/21/2010 10:05 AM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Dan wrote:

You have credit cards... WOW!
I thought credit cards went the way of the Dodo bird, just like the small
banks. Shirly, I mean surely, you mean Debit cards

Mostly it's the impoverished poor schnucks who use debit cards... they
can't qualify for credit because they already owe more than they will
ever repay... everytime at a checkout it's the schmuck with the debit
card who has to put stuff back because mid month they already blew
their entire wad, typically on scratch-off lotto, cigs, and brewski.
Just yesterday a frumpy broad dragging two rug rats and one infant in
a carrier had to decide between Pampers, a case of Coors and two packs
of Kools, she put back the Pampers.

You forgot to mention that this happens after they use up all their food
stamps
Old 21-12-2010, 07:40 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dan wrote:

You have credit cards... WOW!
I thought credit cards went the way of the Dodo bird, just like the small
banks. Shirly, I mean surely, you mean Debit cards

Mostly it's the impoverished poor schnucks who use debit cards... they
can't qualify for credit because they already owe more than they will
ever repay... everytime at a checkout it's the schmuck with the debit
card who has to put stuff back because mid month they already blew
their entire wad, typically on scratch-off lotto, cigs, and brewski.
Just yesterday a frumpy broad dragging two rug rats and one infant in
a carrier had to decide between Pampers, a case of Coors and two packs
of Kools, she put back the Pampers.

You forgot to mention that this happens after they use up all their food
stamps

I didn't realize that four days before Christmas was "mock the poor day".
--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyE5wjc4XOw
Old 21-12-2010, 09:03 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/21/2010 1:40 PM, Billy wrote:

Dan wrote:

You have credit cards... WOW!
I thought credit cards went the way of the Dodo bird, just like the small
banks. Shirly, I mean surely, you mean Debit cards

Mostly it's the impoverished poor schnucks who use debit cards... they
can't qualify for credit because they already owe more than they will
ever repay... everytime at a checkout it's the schmuck with the debit
card who has to put stuff back because mid month they already blew
their entire wad, typically on scratch-off lotto, cigs, and brewski.
Just yesterday a frumpy broad dragging two rug rats and one infant in
a carrier had to decide between Pampers, a case of Coors and two packs
of Kools, she put back the Pampers.

You forgot to mention that this happens after they use up all their food
stamps

I didn't realize that four days before Christmas was "mock the poor day".

Guess it's OK to mock the rich year round.

Old 21-12-2010, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

Dan wrote:

[...]

If _anybody_ does something worthy of mocking, why not do it and avoid
pointless discrimination?

Old 22-12-2010, 02:24 AM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1 wrote:
Dan L wrote:

You have credit cards... WOW!
I thought credit cards went the way of the Dodo bird, just like the
small banks. Shirly, I mean surely, you mean Debit cards

Mostly it's the impoverished poor schnucks who use debit cards... they
can't qualify for credit because they already owe more than they will
ever repay... everytime at a checkout it's the schmuck with the debit
card who has to put stuff back because mid month they already blew
their entire wad, typically on scratch-off lotto, cigs, and brewski.
Just yesterday a frumpy broad dragging two rug rats and one infant in
a carrier had to decide between Pampers, a case of Coors and two packs
of Kools, she put back the Pampers.

It's strange how you can turn almost any topic into a sour and negative
commentary on someone,or more often some group, that you picture yourself to
be better than. You must be so special to live on such a high place where
you can look down on nearly everybody.

David

Old 22-12-2010, 04:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 22 Dec 2010 12:24:21 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
Dan L wrote:

[...]

Nothing strange... it's all a matter of perspective. It's just that
you need to look up at everyone, obviously. In the US, more than
anywhere, folks can attain whatever level they desire, all it takes is
hard work and perserverence. Had I known then what I know now I could
have achieved far more but often I was lazy and liked good times. I'm
not complaining mind you, I've actually done quite well. The
difference between me and you however is that I'm not resentful of
those who have more, they earned and deserve all they've achieved. You
on the other hand sound like an envious parasite who has earned
nothing and deserves nothing.
Old 22-12-2010, 06:01 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
Dan L wrote:

[...]

My perspective is different, those that steel, bribe and lie tend to be
more successful in life over others. A quote from I do not know who, " A
man with a brief case can steel allot more money than a man with a gun".
Corporations of today got powerful, by stealing money from the tax payers
in the form of subsidies, bribe the politicians and lie to the public. The
space merchants are everywhere.

The world is a zero sum game. Not everyone can be wealthy. The misery can
be minimized by restricting the wealth of those that have too much. I do
object to those that have vast wealth and should be restricted how much
they can earn. Greed is Evil. Remember the story about the "eye of the
needle"?

I do not hate the poor. I hate the rich. If I cannot afford a Dodge Viper,
I do not want anyone to own a Dodge Viper

Old 22-12-2010, 08:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
Dan L wrote:

[...]

Other than to say that I don't have any such resentment I am not buying into
your sad little political justification for your Holier Than Thou attitude.
It was the attitude that I commented on and the miserable person behind it
not the political story you make up to justify it. There are plenty of
people who have been mighty achievers in all walks of life who were far more
generous to their fellows than you and who gave a helping hand to those less
fortunate instead of heaping scorn upon them.

they earned and deserve all they've achieved. You
on the other hand sound like an envious parasite who has earned
nothing and deserves nothing.

You know nothing about me but see fit to make up whatever you like if it
makes you feel more smug. It is a common tactic in weak debaters and gutter
politicians to create negative stories about the opposition, go for it, it
only makes your slimy hole deeper and harder to exit.

David

Old 22-12-2010, 01:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Brooklyn1 said:

Nothing strange... it's all a matter of perspective. It's just that
you need to look up at everyone, obviously. In the US, more than
anywhere, folks can attain whatever level they desire, all it takes is
hard work and perserverence.

"More than anywhere," is it?

Sorry. The USA is not the leader in social mobility. Hasn't been for a
while.

http://www.americanprogress.org/issu...bilityAnalysis.
pdf
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/14/na...ss/15MOBILITY-
WEB.html

This last link is from a set, full set he
http://www.nytimes.com/pages/national/class/index.html

Thing have only gotten worse since.

I was lucky enough to be born white, to a family that stayed intact, did
not suffer any serious medical problems and had a father who was able
to get an education via the GI bill (came home safe and sound). And, oh
yes, I was born and raised in the northeast. One of the more advantaged
parts of the country, when I was born.

Oh yes, I certainly worked *very* hard for all that advantage...clever me,
choosing my parents. Could have done a whole lot worse.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored

Old 22-12-2010, 02:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default OT Environment credit cards

On 12/21/2010 10:17 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Lemme guess... Billy Goat has never been gainfully employed, has never
contributed one iota to society, is a total loser... I know this from
its verbosity... all show, no go.

No, I believe he's an employed chemist. Please don't hold his attitude
against us retired chemists

Actually spending years in academia getting degrees, makes most chemists
quite liberal. I was one until I started working in the real world but
with most it is a matter of faith.
Old 22-12-2010, 03:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

Frank wrote:
On 12/21/2010 10:17 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
Lemme guess... Billy Goat has never been gainfully employed, has never
contributed one iota to society, is a total loser... I know this from
its verbosity... all show, no go.

No, I believe he's an employed chemist. Please don't hold his attitude
against us retired chemists

Actually spending years in academia getting degrees, makes most chemists
quite liberal. I was one until I started working in the real world but
with most it is a matter of faith.

I have a degree in computer science, retired and extremely liberal. Those
that have science degrees tend to be liberal. Those that have university
degrees generally are liberal. Smart people tend to have university
degrees. Therefore smart people are liberal

Scientist tend to deal in facts, not faith! Those that are not smart tends
to deal in faith. Those that do not have all the facts or knowledge has
faith in the hope that things will turn out ok. Most often things do turn
out ok and they praise themselves for having intelligence rather than being
just plain lucky.

However, even when one has the knowledge and the experience, things can
still go wrong... Last night I set my timer wrong and burned my coconut
macaroons

Old 22-12-2010, 06:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default OT Environment credit cards (Dan)

I don't even have a high school diploma but I think I do have a bit of
common sense. I try to treat others the way I would want to be treated.
There is just no excuse at all for being rude to other people! I either
ignore this type of person or avoid them when possible. Both solutions
are very easy in a discuss group. I just don't respond to their posts
as they seem to feed off of any response OR once I know who they are, I
just don't even bother reading any of their posts.

Wishing you all a Happy and Safe holiday season

Rich