Old 23-12-2010, 04:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default The Best And The Worst Heirloom Tomatoes

Last season was an experiment in growing heirloom tomatoes. Zone 5-6
central Pennsylvania. I grew about a dozen different varieties and was
slightly impressed with only one. That being Pruden's Purple. Tomatoes
were of nice size with good flavor and averaged about ten to twelve
fruit per plant. The rest of the heirlooms were quite nasty in all
respects with the worst of the lot being Kelloggs Breakfast tomato. The
fruit from these had a core the size of an apple. Of the hybrids I
grew, Jet Star won hands down. Jet Star won a spot in my garden this
coming spring for sure! The other hybrids I will try this season
include Lemon Boy, Super Fantastic, Better Boy, Big Beef and Early Girl.
I'll also be trying a sweet bell pepper called Big Bertha which I hope
do well in my growing zone. Put in a small 4'x12' asparagus bed last
year using one year crowns. Had lots of ferns so hopefully this spring
I'll be harvesting my first batch of asparagus also. Neighbor told me
to put rock salt on the bed to control the weeds but not sure yet if I
want to do that or not. This is only my third year having a vegetable
garden and it's lots of fun puttering around with it. Only have about
400 sq. ft. or so but that's plenty for the wife and I.

Happy Gardening ............... Rich

Old 23-12-2010, 06:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

EVP MAN wrote:

Put in a small
4'x12' asparagus bed last year using one year crowns. Had lots of
ferns so hopefully this spring I'll be harvesting my first batch of
asparagus also.

Cut lightly the first two years and only if there seems lots of vigorous
shoots. If you cut too heavily before they are developed you will set them
back. Feed heavily (horse is great) once established.

Neighbor told me to put rock salt on the bed to
control the weeds but not sure yet if I want to do that or not.

It sort of works because asparagus is somewhat tolerant of sodium where most
plants are not. The problem is if you over do it you will destroy the soil
structure and chemistry. The excess sodium will drive all the other cations
out (calcium, magnesium, potassium etc) and almost nothing will grow there.
Safer to mulch heavily.

This
is only my third year having a vegetable garden and it's lots of fun
puttering around with it. Only have about 400 sq. ft. or so but
that's plenty for the wife and I.

That's a good size for two people

Happy Gardening ............... Rich

David