Old 28-12-2010, 06:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Won't Use Soaker Hoses Again This Season

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Mon, 27 Dec 2010 23:12:07 +0000 (UTC), Dan L
wrote:

Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

And I also find that things tend to even out over time. If I have
a good year with one veg and a not so good year with another, it
doesn't really matter. If I'd decided to plant only a few of any
one vegetable or even only one or two varieties of vegetables, I
would have missed out because the conditions for whatever didn't
do well coul dhave had an impact on my only a few veg/varieties.

So essentially you are concurring, home vegetable gardening is a
hobby, you're mostly in it for the personal enjoyment of growing
stuff, and you get to eat some too. Sure home grown tomatoes taste
better than the typical store bought but mostly they all come in at
once within a relatively short period as do all crops, one can eat
only so much. Unless one goes into crops on a large enough scale to
supply several families there is no way that supermarket prices can
be beat... and even with a little truck farm crops can fail and
often do and for a number of reasons outside ones control, and then
there's the cost of supplies, tools, and powered equipment and
those get used up and fail too. Who do you think supports the
plant nurseries and gardening product aisles at the big box stores,
home gardeners is who. Believe it or not folks tend to home veggie
gardens for exactly the same reason folks tend to lawns, personal
satisfaction is all... even though one can't eat that grass neither
holds sway over the other, both are hobbies. No hobby is
profitable monetarilly, as soon as it is it's called a business. I
do gardening too, I'm motivated by enjoyment, not saving money...
no way can one save money from any kind of home gardening.

The term "Hobby" could be used for some. Is doing laundry a hobby
also by your definition? After all why buy a washing machine and
dryer when I can take my dirty clothes to the cleaners. How about
one of your other favorite subjects "Cooking" is that a hobby when
one can go the restaurants three times a week? I am sure there are
cost advantages of eating out all the time.

I often think of a hobby that only provides a pleasure incentive.
Gardening does pay ones self with goods that helps one survive
physically. Bird watching, Amateur Radio and Chess provides pleasure
only. like Chess and Gardening i Win and Lose at times. Does working
for yourself just a hobby. I built my own home, Me and two nephews
did everything except the concrete work and drywall. Is building
your own home a hobby? I am not being paid by anyone. So by your
definition of Hobby, does working for yourself count? Gardening and
food preservation in my book is being self reliant, not a hobby.

You don't make any sense, you are simply attempting to defend the
indefensible... home veggie gardening is a hobby like all others,
primarilly gives pleasure but saves not a mot on ones grocery bill.
I've had a veggie garden every year for more than 60 years and never
saved a penny on food... canning and freezing costs more than buying
at the stupidmarket.

Your experience does not make it universally so. Unless you cost my time I
am in front by many hundreds of dollars a year every year. I bottle and
freeze quite a lot and once again it costs me almost nothing (people give me
boxes of preserving jars, lids and seals) and my time. Why is this an
article of faith with you? At some time in your history you totalled up
what gardening was costing you and you had an Ah Hah moment and decided that
you couldn't justify it financially. That's fine but it doesn't apply to
everybody.

NO hobby saves money and a home veggie garden is
definitely a hobby, one of the more costly hobbies when time, effort,
and losses to nature are factored in.

Well yes if you cost your time. But consider the alternatives such as going
to the gym or pushing myself through some excercise routine. These take
time, cost money, usually require equipment and to me are less pleasant.
What do you want out of a hobby beyond engaging the mind and body and (if
you allow ) social contacts?

I've been involved in several
hobbies, I've raised tropical fish for many years, collected stamps,
and coins and I've collected fountain pens most of my life and still,
at least I can occasionally sell fountain pens at a profit, I've never
sold a tomato at a profit. I garden strictly for enjoyment... no one
saves money with home vegetable gardening, it's 100% an expense...
actually more than 100%, a lot more... anyone who believes they are
saving money is fantacising.

Well colour me hallucinating! Last summer I sold about $50 worth of
tomatoes at the local farmer's market and all it cost me was effort.

I recently spent over $300 on mole/vole
protection products, I'd have to sell a ton of tomatoes to maybe break
even. Just from reading here of people bitching about their watering
bills alone proves that gardening is not monetarilly profitable, never
mind all the other myriad cost aspects folks here constantly whine
about paying for.

I don't have any watering bills. I spend a little on petrol to pump water.
I buy very little in the way of inputs, a few chemicals that I can't do
without and sometimes some seed, my seed is through a grower's club and very
cheap, my equipment is mainly years old and long paid for. I use recycled
wire as fences and recycled gates as trellises that were gifts. I collect
horse manure off the pasture and other people give me chicken litter. And I
don't have voles!

You keep going on about this. It seems to be a religious crusade that
nobody could come out in front from growing things. OK you can't come out
in front, I get that. Can't you see that other people in this world have
other experiences and consequently see things differently?

David

Reminds me of the story about a journalist assigned to the Jerusalem
bureau takes an apartment overlooking the historic Wailing Wall.
Everyday when she looks out, she sees an old bearded Jewish man praying
vigorously. Certain he would be a good interview subject, the
journalist goes down to the Wall and introduces herself to the old man.
She asks, "You come every day to the Wall, sir, how long have you been
doing that and what are you praying for?"

The old man replies, "I have come here to pray every day for 25 years.
In the morning I pray for world peace and for the brotherhood of man. I
go home, have a cup of tea, and I come back and pray for the eradication
of illness and disease from the earth. And very, very important, I pray
for peace and understanding between the Israelis and Palestinians."

The journalist is very impressed. "How does it make you feel to come
here every day for 25 years and pray for these wonderful things?" she
asks.

The old man replies calmly, "Like I'm talking to a wall."
-----

David, I'm glad to see you are keeping up the tradition.
--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyE5wjc4XOw
Old 28-12-2010, 09:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
[...]

A very good analogy here

Old 28-12-2010, 09:26 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Dan L wrote:

Billy wrote:
[...]

Sort of got me thinking that actions speak louder than words perhaps
prayers too.

Su Tung-po (1037 - 1101 / China)

Battle of Red Cliff

The Yangtze flows east
Washing away
A thousand ages of great men
West of the ramparts --
People say --
Are the fabled Red Cliffs of young Chou of the Three Kingdoms
Rebellious rocks pierce the sky
Frightening waves rip the bank
The backwash churns vast snowy swells --
River and mountains like a painting
how many heroes passed them, once ...

Think back to those years, Chou Yu --
Just married to the younger Chiao --
Brave, brilliant
With plumed fan, silk kerchief
Laughed and talked
While masts and oars vanished to flying ash and smoke!
I roam through ancient realms
Absurdly moved
Turn gray too soon --
A man's life passes like a dream --
Pour out a cup then, to the river, and the moon

Bill who has a 3 WEEK HEAD COLD

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"Always tell the truth and you don't have to remember anything."
--Mark Twain.

Old 28-12-2010, 09:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
Dan L wrote:

Billy wrote:
[...]

I'll drink to that ;O)

Bill who has a 3 WEEK HEAD COLD

About 2 months ago, we had a regional cold going around. It would
briefly set up in your head, and then go to your chest. After a day or 2
you'd feel better, only to come down with it again. The only consistent
thing about it was a dry cough. It lasted about 3 - 4 weeks.
Old 29-12-2010, 05:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Billy" wrote in message
Bill who has a 3 WEEK HEAD COLD

About 2 months ago, we had a regional cold going around. It would
briefly set up in your head, and then go to your chest. After a day or 2
you'd feel better, only to come down with it again. The only consistent
thing about it was a dry cough. It lasted about 3 - 4 weeks.

Snap! That mongrel seems to have spread around the globe.

Old 29-12-2010, 08:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,

"Billy" wrote in message
Bill who has a 3 WEEK HEAD COLD

About 2 months ago, we had a regional cold going around. It would
briefly set up in your head, and then go to your chest. After a day or 2
you'd feel better, only to come down with it again. The only consistent
thing about it was a dry cough. It lasted about 3 - 4 weeks.

Snap! That mongrel seems to have spread around the globe.

Globe trotting, twice around the world before the virus can even
incubate. I was told it was in Saint Lucia (West Indies, Caribbean).
Where I work, everybody got it. Nasty little bugger. Yeah, it had been
years since I had a cold (I think I subbed in a primary school.=()
Well, if it got half-way around the world one way, it probably got
half-way around the other as well.

So, this is the 21st Century.
--
http://www.salem-news.com/articles/j...acks_1-5-09.ph
Old 30-12-2010, 11:52 PM
Doghouse Riley's Avatar
Registered User

Well, I like soaker hoses and I installed a system this year using an old Hoselock water meter I had, so I can regulate how much water I put on the long border of my garden. I've a supply that goes from this dedicated tap below our kitchen window under the patio and up behind my koi pool waterfall to where the soaker hose is connected.

This has two Hoselock three way valves in it so I can water any combination from one to three sections at a time.

But my greatest indulgence were the "pop up" sprinklers I installed in my lawn using "speedfit" pipe and connectors, for a total outlay of around fifty quid.

It then rained for about three months!

Needless to say, I'm not on a water meter!
__________________
"I don't mind if you don't like my manners!
I don't like 'em myself! They're pretty bad.
I grieve over them on long winter evenings."
Old 31-12-2010, 04:24 PM posted to rec.gardens

[image: http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/7012/p1020996o.jpg]

[image: http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/487/p1030009o.jpg]

[image: http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/7913/p1020994q.jpg]

It then rained for about three months!

Needless to say, I'm not on a water meter!

Excellent! Nice set up. Lovely garden... thanks for the pictures.

I'll add for those who don't know that there are several grades of
soaker hose, better quality soaker hose lasts for many years and does
not waste water. With soaker hose timers and sufficient volume at the
correct pressure are important.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:57 PM
Registered User

His ideal sound like the Hornet is a result of inbred
Population decline, rather than as the source of the decline. All
Inbred animals, if their number will decline too much as a mechanism
Survival.
UV Clarifier

[IMG] code is On

soaker hoses v/s drip irrigation, [email protected] Texas 7 16-02-2009 12:16 PM
soaker hoses and other irrigation methods Stan The Man United Kingdom 11 24-07-2005 12:39 AM
soaker hoses tonyg Bamboo 2 22-07-2004 08:20 PM
Soaker Hoses Charles Gardening 8 31-07-2003 07:02 AM
Different Drip Rates in Soaker Hoses? Fleemo Gardening 3 28-03-2003 11:56 PM