Old 28-12-2010, 06:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tomato Support Idea

Since I'm cutting way back on my tomato plants this season, I think
I'll try a different method to support the plants. I use the green
steel fence posts that you buy at any hardware store 5' tall. All the
other years I used a single stake per plant which worked ok but constant
tying here and there is necessary and some branches still break due to
the weight of the fruit. Since I'll have an excess of fence posts this
season, I plan to put 3 stakes around each plant in the shape of a
triangle. I'll run parachute cord from stake to stake at several
different heights. It should work kind of like a tomato cage except
much stronger as each stake will be a foot or more into the ground and
the cross members will be of parachute cord and not wire. Each stake
forming the triangle, I'll place eight or nine inches from the plant.
By doing this, I think that I may be able to get as big a harvest even
though I'm setting out half the amount of plants. When using a single
stake, I would prune the plant in order to have one or two main stems.
I should now be able to allow at least four main stems per plant. I do
realize the size of the fruit may not be as large but the volume of
fruit should surpass the difference. Any opinions on this idea?

Rich from PA zone 5-6

Old 29-12-2010, 06:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 28, 12:16*am, (EVP MAN) wrote:
[...]

The Amish around here, DE run 2 lines of fencing about 5' tall and
about 18" to 2'
apart and grow between them. They remove lots of the leaves, and their
vines are loaded with 'maters. Easy to reach and totally in view.
nanzi
Old 29-12-2010, 09:02 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tomato Support Idea (nanzi)

Yes, I can see where that would work very well provided your plants are
all in a straight row. But for my purpose, I need a support method for
each individual plant. I'd also like to utilize the stakes and
parachute cord which I already have on hand

Rich

Old 29-12-2010, 09:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 29, 12:02*pm, (EVP MAN) wrote:
Yes, *I can see where that would work very well provided your plants are
all in a straight row. *But for my purpose, *I need a support method for
each individual plant. *I'd also like to utilize the stakes and
parachute cord which I already have on hand

Rich

Where do you get parachute cord?

Old 29-12-2010, 10:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 12/29/2010 12:27 PM, Nanzi wrote:
[...]

I think the idea will work fine, as others have pointed out. As to your
last observation, yes - that is a likely bet, and has been my
experience, too. I'll trade many medium size fruits for few very large
fruits every time. Since I grow a large-fruited tomato to begin with, I
still get lots of fruits of tennis ball size.

Tony M.

Old 29-12-2010, 11:11 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tomato Support Idea (Higgs B)

I bought a 1000 ft. spool at Amazon. It's not real cheap at $50 a spool
but the stuff lasts a very long time.

Rich

Old 30-12-2010, 12:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

EVP MAN wrote:

Yes, I can see where that would work very well provided your plants are
all in a straight row. But for my purpose, I need a support method for
each individual plant. I'd also like to utilize the stakes and
parachute cord which I already have on hand

There is no way to maintain a dialog with you. Why don't you quote
who/what you're responding to? You're essentially talking to yourself
as though in a sanitorium. Weird dude.
Old 30-12-2010, 02:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 12:43:11 -0800 (PST), Higgs Boson
wrote:

On Dec 29, 12:02*pm, (EVP MAN) wrote:
Yes, *I can see where that would work very well provided your plants are
all in a straight row. *But for my purpose, *I need a support method for
each individual plant. *I'd also like to utilize the stakes and
parachute cord which I already have on hand

Rich

Where do you get parachute cord?

My question is _will_ the cord support the plants? Some reason I
think it would have to be really taunt or it would sag, and not give
the support needed.

thinking out loud
Old 30-12-2010, 02:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tomato Support Idea (Brooklyn)

In my heading I had (nanzi) and that was who I was responding to. I use
web tv to post and not a computer. Perhaps things look different in
this discuss group to those who use computers. On my web tv, it all
looks very normal just as it should and it's very clear who I respond
to. I usually don't respond at all to rude people but just wanted to
clear this up for others who may use the group!

Old 30-12-2010, 03:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tomato Support Idea (Oren)

The breaking strength on parachute cord in 550 lbs. If you soak the
cord in water for a short while before you use it, the cord will shrink
a small amount. The cord is about 3/16" in diameter. The problem I had
when I used the store bought wire tomato cages was that the branches of
my plants would bend down over the wire cage and snap off. I think the
problem with the cages is the fact that the wire doesn't have any give
to it and the branches tend to break instead. The parachute cord will
indeed have some give and it's a bit heaver in diameter also. Hopefully
this should work better than the cages. I'll also drive the steel
stakes into the ground at least a foot or more which should make a good
sturdy support.

Rich

Old 30-12-2010, 04:21 AM posted to rec.gardens

I just click respond to the post I'm reading. I have to type in on the
subject line myself.

I just responded to your post but now I'll go up and remove Brooklyn
from the subject line before I hit send.

The people who create groups using web tv are considered the group
owner. The group owner can also ban trouble makers from using his or
her group. Once a ban is in place, the person can read the posts but
they can't post or respond to others in the group. It's kind of a shame
this group don't seem to have a owner with the same web tools.

Rich

Old 30-12-2010, 05:18 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 22:21:18 -0500, (EVP MAN)
wrote:

I just click respond to the post I'm reading. I have to type in on the
subject line myself.

Don't add anything on the Subject line.

I just responded to your post but now I'll go up and remove Brooklyn
from the subject line before I hit send.

Your reply, ought to include a portion of the thread you are
responding to so we can follow it chronologically. See how I replied
to you?

The people who create groups using web tv are considered the group
owner. The group owner can also ban trouble makers from using his or
her group. Once a ban is in place, the person can read the posts but
they can't post or respond to others in the group. It's kind of a shame
this group don't seem to have a owner with the same web tools.

Rich,

Maybe Web TV has a special thing for it's users? I don't know, but
what your are participating in (Newsgroups) is called "Usenet".

People cannot add just any ole' group on a whim. I would rather learn
more about 'matters, but this link will explain what Usenet is about
and how it functions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet

P.S. I love a good 'matter samich!

bread, mayo, salt and pepper: coupled with juicy 'matter slices.

Alternate pronunciation of 'sandwich'. Can you make me a samich?
Old 30-12-2010, 05:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

Web tv must not ad a portion of the thread I respond to. It doesn't do
it automatically or give me that option. The only choice I have is to
read a thread and then hit respond and let web tv do it's thing......LOL
That's why I type the persons nick in the subject line at times to let
them know I'm responding to their post. I'd rather grow and eat matters
also .............. Rich