Old 28-12-2010, 05:55 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Saving rain water

I have filled 2 trash cans with rain water, and could have filled two
more! Also assorted buckets and other receptacles. We have had some
great rains here in So. Calif. coastal, after several years of almost
no rain. It's only end December, and the rainy season theoretically
lasts from Nov. to March, but these days who knows..

Question: To keep the water barrels from getting scummy or worse, I'm
thinking of adding bleach -- not enough to render the water dangerous
to plants, but enough to keep it safe.

How much per 32 gal. trash can would fill that bill?

TIA

HB
Old 29-12-2010, 08:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Dec 27, 9:55*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
I have filled 2 trash cans with rain water, and could have filled two
more! *Also assorted buckets and other receptacles. * We have had some
great rains here in So. Calif. coastal, after several years of almost
no rain. *It's only end December, and the rainy season theoretically
lasts from Nov. to March, but these days who knows..

Question: *To keep the water barrels from getting scummy or worse, I'm
thinking of adding bleach -- not enough to render the water dangerous
to plants, but enough to keep it safe.

How much per 32 gal. trash can would fill that bill?

TIA

HB

Please, if anybody has had experience, would you share it? Tx

HB
Old 29-12-2010, 08:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
On Dec 27, 9:55 pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
I have filled 2 trash cans with rain water, and could have filled two
more! Also assorted buckets and other receptacles. We have had some
great rains here in So. Calif. coastal, after several years of almost
no rain. It's only end December, and the rainy season theoretically
lasts from Nov. to March, but these days who knows..

Question: To keep the water barrels from getting scummy or worse, I'm
thinking of adding bleach -- not enough to render the water dangerous
to plants, but enough to keep it safe.

How much per 32 gal. trash can would fill that bill?

TIA

HB

Please, if anybody has had experience, would you share it? Tx

HB

If you cover them properly you will have very little problem. This keeps
out mosquitos and other bugs and prevent algae from growing by excluding
light. 32gal US is a tiny amount of water which isn't going very far.
Unless you plan on keeping this water for months for souvenir purposes no
bleach is required. And you will be able to wash your hair in it.

David

Old 29-12-2010, 11:36 PM posted to rec.gardens

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
Higgs Boson wrote:
[...]

I use a garbage can to catch the overrun from a small tank that catches the
rain off our side verandah. I use all of the water from the garbage can in
one watering session of pot plants with a watering can. I can't see any
need to treat it at all given that it's such a tiny amount.

Old 30-12-2010, 12:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 18:16:17 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

"Higgs Boson" wrote
Higgs Boson wrote:

I have filled 2 trash cans with rain water, and could have filled two
more! Also assorted buckets and other receptacles. We have had some
great rains here in So. Calif. coastal, after several years of almost
no rain. It's only end December, and the rainy season theoretically
lasts from Nov. to March, but these days who knows..

Question: To keep the water barrels from getting scummy or worse, I'm
thinking of adding bleach -- not enough to render the water dangerous
to plants, but enough to keep it safe.

How much per 32 gal. trash can would fill that bill?

1 ts per 5 gallons.

Chlorine bleach evaporates quickly... "1 ts" won't do a whit and
within a couple hours it'll be like it was never there at all.
Old 30-12-2010, 01:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Brooklyn1" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:
"Higgs Boson" wrote

Question: To keep the water barrels from getting scummy or worse, I'm
thinking of adding bleach -- not enough to render the water dangerous
to plants, but enough to keep it safe.

How much per 32 gal. trash can would fill that bill?

1 ts per 5 gallons.

Chlorine bleach evaporates quickly... "1 ts" won't do a whit and
within a couple hours it'll be like it was never there at all.

1 TS per 5 gallons is the USDA recommended amount to render clear water safe
for drinking. With only a 32G container (my fish tank is more than double
that) he's not storing it for long. Of course he will have to reapply if he
is storing for long, but one assumes he knows that since he specified
Bleach.

Old 30-12-2010, 01:34 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 29 Dec 2010 20:22:42 -0500, "cshenk" wrote:

"Brooklyn1" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:
"Higgs Boson" wrote

Question: To keep the water barrels from getting scummy or worse, I'm
thinking of adding bleach -- not enough to render the water dangerous
to plants, but enough to keep it safe.

How much per 32 gal. trash can would fill that bill?

1 ts per 5 gallons.

Chlorine bleach evaporates quickly... "1 ts" won't do a whit and
within a couple hours it'll be like it was never there at all.

1 TS per 5 gallons is the USDA recommended amount to render clear water safe
for drinking. With only a 32G container (my fish tank is more than double
that) he's not storing it for long.

Your aquarium water is chlorinated, you're an idiot and a liar.
Old 30-12-2010, 01:57 AM posted to rec.gardens

"cshenk" wrote in message
"Brooklyn1" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:
"Higgs Boson" wrote

Question: To keep the water barrels from getting scummy or worse, I'm
thinking of adding bleach -- not enough to render the water dangerous
to plants, but enough to keep it safe.

How much per 32 gal. trash can would fill that bill?

1 ts per 5 gallons.

Chlorine bleach evaporates quickly... "1 ts" won't do a whit and
within a couple hours it'll be like it was never there at all.

1 TS per 5 gallons is the USDA recommended amount to render clear water
safe for drinking.

According to a couple of sites I looked at, it's a half a teaspoon per 5
gallons. But I doubt whether doubling the dose would be a problem and I
wouldn't even bother to add any for such a small amount of water. I'd worry
more about mosquitos breeding in it so would use it quick sticks.

Old 30-12-2010, 02:03 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Brooklyn1" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

1 TS per 5 gallons is the USDA recommended amount to render clear water
safe
for drinking. With only a 32G container (my fish tank is more than double
that) he's not storing it for long.

Your aquarium water is chlorinated, you're an idiot and a liar.

No, you have to declorinate fishtank water or you kill the fish.

You ok? You've been in a bad mood for days now.

Old 30-12-2010, 02:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

"FarmI" wrote
"cshenk" wrote

How much per 32 gal. trash can would fill that bill?

1 ts per 5 gallons.

Chlorine bleach evaporates quickly... "1 ts" won't do a whit and
within a couple hours it'll be like it was never there at all.

1 TS per 5 gallons is the USDA recommended amount to render clear water
safe for drinking.

According to a couple of sites I looked at, it's a half a teaspoon per 5
gallons. But I doubt whether doubling the dose would be a problem and I
wouldn't even bother to add any for such a small amount of water. I'd
worry more about mosquitos breeding in it so would use it quick sticks.

I got different answers too so picked one that made more sense to a storage
tank. It breaks down fairly fast.

Quick Sticks? Not familar with that. Fill me in?

Old 30-12-2010, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens

"cshenk" wrote in message
"FarmI" wrote
"cshenk" wrote

How much per 32 gal. trash can would fill that bill?

1 ts per 5 gallons.

Chlorine bleach evaporates quickly... "1 ts" won't do a whit and
within a couple hours it'll be like it was never there at all.

1 TS per 5 gallons is the USDA recommended amount to render clear water
safe for drinking.

According to a couple of sites I looked at, it's a half a teaspoon per 5
gallons. But I doubt whether doubling the dose would be a problem and I
wouldn't even bother to add any for such a small amount of water. I'd
worry more about mosquitos breeding in it so would use it quick sticks.

I got different answers too so picked one that made more sense to a
storage tank. It breaks down fairly fast.

Quick Sticks? Not familar with that. Fill me in?

Ah sorry. I try to post in a universal language North Americans can
understand easily without resorting to google but sometimes the local lingo
slips out (David H-S would know what I meant). It just means 'quickly'.

Old 30-12-2010, 02:23 AM posted to rec.gardens

"cshenk" wrote in message
"Brooklyn1" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

1 TS per 5 gallons is the USDA recommended amount to render clear water
safe
for drinking. With only a 32G container (my fish tank is more than
double
that) he's not storing it for long.

Your aquarium water is chlorinated, you're an idiot and a liar.

No, you have to declorinate fishtank water or you kill the fish.

You ok? You've been in a bad mood for days now.

Sheldon goes through his grumpy old man phases now and then as do we all.
He'll be OK again in due time.

Old 30-12-2010, 02:46 AM posted to rec.gardens

"FarmI" wrote
"cshenk" wrote in message

No, you have to declorinate fishtank water or you kill the fish.

You ok? You've been in a bad mood for days now.

Sheldon goes through his grumpy old man phases now and then as do we all.
He'll be OK again in due time.

Yeah, but it normally doesnt stretch out into this group. Just a bit
worried about him is all.

Old 30-12-2010, 07:13 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"FarmI" ask@itshall be given wrote:

"cshenk" wrote in message
"Brooklyn1" wrote
"cshenk" wrote:

1 TS per 5 gallons is the USDA recommended amount to render clear water
safe
for drinking. With only a 32G container (my fish tank is more than
double
that) he's not storing it for long.

Your aquarium water is chlorinated, you're an idiot and a liar.

No, you have to declorinate fishtank water or you kill the fish.

You ok? You've been in a bad mood for days now.

Sheldon goes through his grumpy old man phases now and then as do we all.
He'll be OK again in due time.

He never has been.
--
- Billy