Old 30-12-2010, 04:23 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Can Growing Tomatoes From Seed At Home Help Prevent Late Blight?

I think it can help indeed. Last season Penn State university was
warning about another bad year for late blight in our area. I started
all my plants indoors from seed. Gave plants to many of my neighbors
and not one of these plants were hit with late blight or any other
disease! I think when you buy your plants from a nursery or chain
store, you take the chance that your plants may be diseased when you
take them home. These growers raise their plants on a much larger scale
and in my opinion, it increases the risk of disease spreading
throughout their plants. What do you think?

Rich

Old 30-12-2010, 06:35 PM posted to rec.gardens

"EVP MAN" wrote

I think it can help indeed. Last season Penn State university was
warning about another bad year for late blight in our area. I started
all my plants indoors from seed. Gave plants to many of my neighbors
and not one of these plants were hit with late blight or any other
disease! I think when you buy your plants from a nursery or chain
store, you take the chance that your plants may be diseased when you
take them home. These growers raise their plants on a much larger scale
and in my opinion, it increases the risk of disease spreading
throughout their plants. What do you think?

I've experienced exactly that from the commercial growers seedlings. Last
year was not a good one to get healthy plants.

Old 30-12-2010, 07:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
mj mj is offline

On Dec 30, 11:23*am, (EVP MAN) wrote:
I think it can help indeed. *Last season Penn State university was
warning about another bad year for late blight in our area. *I started
all my plants indoors from seed. *Gave plants to many of my neighbors
and not one of these plants were hit with late blight or any other
disease! *I think when you buy your plants from a nursery or chain
store, *you take the chance that your plants may be diseased when you
take them home. *These growers raise their plants on a much larger scale
and in my opinion, *it increases the risk of disease spreading
throughout their plants. *What do you think?

Rich

I have always started them from seed and have yet to produce a good
tomato crop. Does anyone know if acidic water would cause blight or
wilt? I water with lake water that is acidic, not exactly what the ph
is.
MJ

[IMG] code is On

Late blight resistant tomatoes General Schvantzkoph Edible Gardening 20 12-03-2010 04:56 PM
tomatoes with potato blight..can I keep the growbags? ave United Kingdom 0 02-09-2007 04:05 PM
Late Blight? Hunter77 Edible Gardening 4 31-10-2005 03:51 PM
can you eat tomatoes with some blight on them quiltymom Edible Gardening 0 07-09-2004 06:32 PM
Blight report service(was How bad is tomato blight?) Steve Harris United Kingdom 4 04-05-2004 06:04 PM