Old 01-01-2011, 03:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Raised beds for n00bs

Thanks to all who replied to my previous question. Clearly, I've got
some work to do.

I've settled on a pair of 2ftx8ftx2ft high boxes to start the spring. As
for the wood, I'm considering PT for the rot resistance but something
nagging in the back of my mind remembers outgassing of formaldehyde from PT?

Also, the question of what they get filled with is kind of important and
I've been unable to find anything resembling a consensus. My current
thought is 1/2 topsoil and 1/2 aged horse manure as a start.

What else should I be looking at?

--
The word "urgent" is the moral of the story "The boy who cried wolf". As
a general rule I don't believe it until a manager comes to me almost in
Old 01-01-2011, 06:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

g'day cipher,

we use a lot of spent mushroom compost from the mushroom farm.

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/straw_bale_garden.htm

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/builds.htm

On Sat, 01 Jan 2011 10:12:34 -0500, Cipher
wrote:
snipped
--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 01-01-2011, 06:59 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Cipher wrote:

Thanks to all who replied to my previous question. Clearly, I've got
some work to do.

I've settled on a pair of 2ftx8ftx2ft high boxes to start the spring. As
for the wood, I'm considering PT for the rot resistance but something
nagging in the back of my mind remembers outgassing of formaldehyde from PT?

Also, the question of what they get filled with is kind of important and
I've been unable to find anything resembling a consensus. My current
thought is 1/2 topsoil and 1/2 aged horse manure as a start.

What else should I be looking at?

Way too much manure. Use about 29 lbs. of horse manure per 100 square
(13 kg/9.3 M), plus 10 lbs. (4.5 kg) brown vegetative material (leaves,
stems, ect). Otherwise you will leak nutrients like chemical fertilizers
do, and consume your organic material too quickly.
--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyE5wjc4XOw
Old 01-01-2011, 07:29 PM posted to rec.gardens

"Cipher" wrote

I've settled on a pair of 2ftx8ftx2ft high boxes to start the spring. As
for the wood, I'm considering PT for the rot resistance but something
nagging in the back of my mind remembers outgassing of formaldehyde from
PT?

PT not good. Your memory is right. It has various chemicals in it that are
carcinogenic and leach to the soil in direct contact.

What a neighbor did as he wanted the looks of wood, was outer frame in PT
(for it's last) and inner frame with cement blocks. He ran black plastic
under the cinder blocks then staple gunned to the wood on the inner side.
Seems ok to me!

Old 01-01-2011, 07:38 PM posted to rec.gardens

"cshenk" wrote:
"Cipher" wrote

I've settled on a pair of 2ftx8ftx2ft high boxes to start the spring. As
for the wood, I'm considering PT for the rot resistance but something
nagging in the back of my mind remembers outgassing of formaldehyde from PT?

PT not good. Your memory is right. It has various chemicals in it that
are carcinogenic and leach to the soil in direct contact.

What a neighbor did as he wanted the looks of wood, was outer frame in PT
(for it's last) and inner frame with cement blocks. He ran black plastic
under the cinder blocks then staple gunned to the wood on the inner side. Seems ok to me!

I use composite deck boards. I cut them for four and six feet lengths. I
hope they last for eternity. The boards are thinner and a more flexible.
Why I cut them short.
They come in 5 1/4 and ten inch heights.

Old 02-01-2011, 02:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

Cipher wrote:
Thanks to all who replied to my previous question. Clearly, I've got
some work to do.

I've settled on a pair of 2ftx8ftx2ft high boxes to start the spring.
As for the wood, I'm considering PT for the rot resistance but
something nagging in the back of my mind remembers outgassing of
formaldehyde from PT?

What is "PT"? If it is treated timber it depends on what it is treated
with.

Also, the question of what they get filled with is kind of important
and I've been unable to find anything resembling a consensus. My
current thought is 1/2 topsoil and 1/2 aged horse manure as a start.

What else should I be looking at?

What is the nature of the topsoil that you have access to? What do you want
to grow in it? Half horse manure is rather a lot.

David

Old 03-01-2011, 12:00 AM posted to rec.gardens

check out this site for raised bed information. They have a great composted
that takes 7 years to make. It has pictures of beds and shows how good the
plants look. I seen this my self.