Old 02-01-2011, 05:43 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Is this some sort of a palm?

We saw this plant in Fort Lauderdale Riverfront Park in south Florida, zone
10.

It looks like a palm, although the entire trunk of the plant was covered.
Is the bottom part just this way because they did not clean the dead leaves
or is this the natural look?

Here are three pictures from three angles.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...b/P1000847.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...b/P1000846.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...b/P1000848.jpg

Is there a thick trunk under there?

Old 02-01-2011, 07:33 PM posted to rec.gardens

MiamiCuse wrote:
We saw this plant in Fort Lauderdale Riverfront Park in south Florida, zone
10.

It looks like a palm, although the entire trunk of the plant was covered.
Is the bottom part just this way because they did not clean the dead leaves
or is this the natural look?

Here are three pictures from three angles.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...b/P1000847.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...b/P1000846.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...b/P1000848.jpg

Is there a thick trunk under there?

Probably. It is some kind of fan palm, probably a subset of
windmill palm:

http://www.sunpalmtrees.com/

It does look like a palm in a hula skirt. Unusual in a cultivated park.

gtlorua p
Old 02-01-2011, 07:34 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 1/2/11 8:43 AM, MiamiCuse wrote:
We saw this plant in Fort Lauderdale Riverfront Park in south Florida, zone
10.

It looks like a palm, although the entire trunk of the plant was covered.
Is the bottom part just this way because they did not clean the dead leaves
or is this the natural look?

Here are three pictures from three angles.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...b/P1000847.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...b/P1000846.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w...b/P1000848.jpg

Is there a thick trunk under there?

It is some kind of fan palm, possibly Sabal minor. Sunset describes
this native to south-eastern U.S. as having a short trunk (or possibly
none at all). "Old leaves fold at base, hang down like a closed
umbrella." If it is a Sabal species, it can be hardy to 20F.

Old leaves have never been removed, forming a skirt that hides whatever
trunk that might be there. The branches at the top appear to be old
flower shoots.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean
Old 05-01-2011, 02:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Sun, 02 Jan 2011 10:34:17 -0800, "David E. Ross"
wrote:

[...]

I agree it might be a Sabal Palm. Growing up in S. FL we called a
Sabal Palm a "skirt palm", but why this one is so small/short I'm not
sure.

Pic:

http://zenofwatering.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/sabel-palm.JPG

OP, send this picture or visit Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden:

10901 Old Cutler Road Coral Gables, FL 33156 • Phone: 305-667-1651 •
Fax 305-661-8953

The garden has several hundred (or more) varieties of palms. Henry
Ford and Thomas Edison collected trees from around the world, that are
planted there. If anyone here ever gets to Miami - please go visit.
What a beautiful place.

Check the link - you can spend all day in this place and never see
every thing.

http://www.fairchildgarden.org/

[IMG] code is On

Sort of palm tree looks pale and has split leaves Paul United Kingdom 3 17-07-2009 11:36 AM
Sort of palm tree has sticky secretion on underside of leaves Paul United Kingdom 7 16-07-2009 04:49 PM
Some sort of disease maybe? - Hollyhocks tom&barbara United Kingdom 5 07-07-2006 08:30 AM
eggs of some sort Digace Ponds 9 25-04-2006 04:28 PM
Supply Sago Palm (Cycas revolute), Finger Palm (Rhapis ,Windmill palm (Trachycarpus garrytsen Marketplace 0 24-08-2005 02:11 AM