Old 05-01-2011, 08:38 AM
Registered User

Default Cordyline rotting

Hi , Can anyone help i have a green cordyline and all the leaves have rotted and fallen off the thing is that its started to shoot leaves out of the bottom at a 45 degree angle do i let it grow like that or replant it. Thanks.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Herb Gardening

"coykiesaol" wrote in message

Herbs are a wonderful class of plants that has made life better for
mankind from the very beginning of history. To this day they are still
serving as always. I discovered the joys of herb gardening a while back
and I love to tell others about how they can also gain the same
satisfaction that I have. So go out and plant some rosemary or basil
today.

Why those two fairly pedestrian herbs?

Old 05-01-2011, 05:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

"FarmI" wrote:
coykiesaol-gardenbanter.co.uk wrote:

Herbs are a wonderful class of plants that has made life better for
mankind from the very beginning of history. To this day they are still
serving as always. I discovered the joys of herb gardening a while back
and I love to tell others about how they can also gain the same
satisfaction that I have. So go out and plant some rosemary or basil
today.

Why those two fairly pedestrian herbs?

Most culinary herbs are fairly pedestrian. However those two head my
list of least favorites... rosemary reminds me of Pine Sol terlit bowl
cleaner and basil is too medicinal, like licorice cough drops... I'd
much rather bay leaf and fennel seed.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:47 AM posted to rec.gardens
Bud Bud is offline

On 2011-01-05, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Why those two fairly pedestrian herbs?

Most culinary herbs are fairly pedestrian. However those two head my
list of least favorites... rosemary reminds me of Pine Sol terlit bowl
cleaner and basil is too medicinal, like licorice cough drops... I'd
much rather bay leaf and fennel seed.

Hmmm, doesn't take too much trouble to plant but you want to separate
those that need more water and those that need less. Do a bit of research
and find out which. Basil is a needed ingredient to me as well as mint,
oregano, parsley, tarragon and even rosemary which doesn't take much if
you like lamb. Gresh herbs are great!
--
Bud
Old 06-01-2011, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2011-01-05, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Why those two fairly pedestrian herbs?

Most culinary herbs are fairly pedestrian. However those two head my
list of least favorites... rosemary reminds me of Pine Sol terlit bowl
cleaner and basil is too medicinal, like licorice cough drops... I'd
much rather bay leaf and fennel seed.

Hmmm, doesn't take too much trouble to plant but you want to separate
those that need more water and those that need less. Do a bit of
research and find out which. Basil is a needed ingredient to me as well
as mint, oregano, parsley, tarragon and even rosemary which doesn't take
much if you like lamb. Gresh herbs are great!

I also grow cilantro, Italian broadleaf parsley, thyme and sage, but we
use basil the most and my favorite is rosemary, not for cooking but as an
ornamental. It is the only plant I have which reliably flowers all
winter long every winter, and it smells good. Wintering rosemary here in
zone 5 USA (Philadelphia area) so that they will bloom requires something
resembling a greenhouse (I keep mine on an enclosed front porch with
southern exposure and a heater to prevent freezing). They can also be
kept outside in a cold frame or in a well sheltered spot adjacent to a
building with southern exposure, but they will not bloom outside during
winter and harsh winters may kill them. Keeping them inside a heated
house is not a viable option, they will die before spring, so if this is
your only option then rosemary will be an annual for you, but if you can
winter them over they will get quite large and can be pruned into a
"standard" or other shape. I pruned one into a 4 foot tall Christmas
tree shape, pre-decorated with flowers, add lights and a few ornaments,
save a tree :-).

Old 06-01-2011, 05:42 PM posted to rec.gardens

On 2011-01-05, Brooklyn1 wrote:

[...]

I've had luck growing Rosemary outside in a wall of water. Down to
just one out of four due to mole/voles . They don't grow too large but
we like it with roasted potatoes.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

"Always tell the truth and you don't have to remember anything."
--Mark Twain.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:36 AM posted to rec.gardens

"Brooklyn1" Gravesend1 wrote in message
"FarmI" wrote:
coykiesaol-gardenbanter.co.uk wrote:

Herbs are a wonderful class of plants that has made life better for
mankind from the very beginning of history. To this day they are still
serving as always. I discovered the joys of herb gardening a while back
and I love to tell others about how they can also gain the same
satisfaction that I have. So go out and plant some rosemary or basil
today.

Why those two fairly pedestrian herbs?

Most culinary herbs are fairly pedestrian.

Most are indeed, but not anglica, or lovage or tarragon.

I'm just wondering why rosmary and basil given that they are so common and
any gardener with an interest in veg growing would grow them.

If the OP has found the 'joys of herb growing' then I'm curious as to why
they name two common herbs. I wouldn't include in any joy category. Useful
yes, but joy, no. Anglica is joyful and especially once it's glaced.

Old 07-01-2011, 07:16 AM posted to rec.gardens

"FarmI" wrote:
[...]

Is that in a glass or on a cake?
--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyE5wjc4XOw
Old 07-01-2011, 07:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

I would call a joyful herb one you can smoke........LOL

Old 07-01-2011, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 14:36:51 +1100, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

"Brooklyn1" Gravesend1 wrote in message
.. .
"FarmI" wrote:
[...]

Mullein, red clover and St. John's Wort (which I hope comes back) are
3 herbs that I find joyful. I've never grown angelica but it looks
pretty and useful. Maybe I'll try it this year.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:09 AM
BobWalsh's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by coykiesaol View Post
Hi , Can anyone help i have a green cordyline and all the leaves have rotted and fallen off the thing is that its started to shoot leaves out of the bottom at a 45 degree angle do i let it grow like that or replant it. Thanks.
Hi, personally I would transplant it using a well draining potting mix, like 2 parts cactus soil and 2 parts perlite. I also would cut it back a little just above a leave node to encourage it to branch.
__________________
For information on growing Plumerias, Frangipani, visit http://www.BobWalshPlumeriaCare101.com.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:41 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote:

"Brooklyn1" Gravesend1 wrote in message
. ..
"FarmI" wrote:
[...]

St John's Wort is considered a noxious weed where I live and we're compelled
by Council By Laws to remove it/poison it. I too love Mullein though but my
husband hates it and will pull it out if I don't keep a close on him. I
threaten him with murder if he so much as looks at it sideways.

What do you do with the red clover?

Old 08-01-2011, 04:04 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Sat, 8 Jan 2011 16:41:24 +1100, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

.. .

"FarmI" wrote:
[...]

SJW a noxious weed - amazing. I rarely use it but love the color a
tincture or olive oil will become when soaking the flowers - a very
deep red.

Red clover - a tincture of the blossoms keeps me from having hot
flashes and night sweats. I'm able to pick enough in the spring and
early summer to last through the year. I am very dedicated to doing
that.

Old 09-01-2011, 05:30 AM posted to rec.gardens

wrote in message
On Sat, 8 Jan 2011 16:41:24 +1100, "FarmI" ask@itshall be given
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

"Brooklyn1" Gravesend1 wrote in message
m...
"FarmI" wrote:
[...]

SJW a noxious weed - amazing.

Some plants just grow like Topsy in Oz and what is a nice mild mannered
garden plant in some other part of the world becomes a rampant, strangle you
in your bed at night type thing. Some just stuff up pastures and do
intestinal damage to grazing animals and so need to be eradicated.

I rarely use it but love the color a
tincture or olive oil will become when soaking the flowers - a very
deep red.

It's a great dyeing plant for fibre (a hobby of mine) so I'm pretending I
can't see the patch that I know about :-))

Red clover - a tincture of the blossoms keeps me from having hot
flashes and night sweats. I'm able to pick enough in the spring and
early summer to last through the year. I am very dedicated to doing
that.

That rings bell. I'm sure I've seen alternative medicine from Europe
(Germany perhaps) where that was the active ingredient.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:01 PM
Registered User

Hi, I transplanted it uses the combination of well-drained pot, like the cactus soil and 2 parts perlite, two parts. I will also back off a little bit less just above, to encourage node to branch.
UV Clarifier