Old 07-01-2011, 03:39 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Growing Purple Cauliflower

Last season I planted purple cauliflower which I understand is really a
form of broccoli. I live in central Pennsylvania and started my plants
indoors from seed June 1. Come July 10, I set them in the garden and
they done great. The heads were huge and it tasted like the best
broccoli the wife and I ever tasted. It does turn green when cooked.
The wife ask me to grow it again this season but she didn't have to ask!
I will indeed grow a dozen of these plants each year in the garden from
now on. It's that good! They also have cheddar cauliflower which I may
also try but I would imagine it taste about the same as the purple

Rich from PA Zone 5-6

Old 07-01-2011, 11:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

"EVP MAN" wrote

Last season I planted purple cauliflower which I understand is really a
form of broccoli. I live in central Pennsylvania and started my plants
indoors from seed June 1. Come July 10, I set them in the garden and
they done great. The heads were huge and it tasted like the best
broccoli the wife and I ever tasted. It does turn green when cooked.

Humm! I bet I would like that! I'm considering a small raised bed garden
set tandemed along the cul-de-sac of the side fence and sunroom (no gate on
that side). Looking at about 18 inches wide and 18 feet long on the fence
side (cinderblock faced with PT or painted cinderblock with flowers and
stuff painted on them) and about 2feet high. Same on sunroom side but
flowers probably in that one. This will leave about a 7ft wide 'alley'
between them.

I know that's not like many of you do, but it will give me the joy of
experimenting and not be hard to maintain.

Climate here is 7B. A odd spot where I need cold tolerant perenials and
heat tolerant as well.