Old 08-01-2011, 03:45 PM
Registered User

Default wild flowers

I have quite a large garden which is bordered by hedges. I want to plant wild flowers around the border and would like to know how to prepare ground.

At present the area is grass. I propose to apply weedkiller and then rotavate the area. Would this be the best thing to do?

Many thanks.

Newnzee
Old 09-01-2011, 12:52 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
newnzee wrote:

I have quite a large garden which is bordered by hedges. I want to
plant wild flowers around the border and would like to know how to
prepare ground.

At present the area is grass.
I propose to apply weedkiller and then rotavate the area.
Would this be the best thing to do?

No, that would be the worst thing you could do to the soil.

Cover grass with newspaper. Cover the newspaper with mulch.

How were you planing on planting your flowers? They could be broadcast
on the mulch after a couple of months, and followed up with a dusting of
compost.

Many thanks.

Newnzee

--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyE5wjc4XOw
Old 09-01-2011, 12:58 AM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote:
In article ,
newnzee wrote:

I have quite a large garden which is bordered by hedges. I want to
plant wild flowers around the border and would like to know how to
prepare ground.

At present the area is grass.
I propose to apply weedkiller and then rotavate the area.
Would this be the best thing to do?

No, that would be the worst thing you could do to the soil.

Cover grass with newspaper. Cover the newspaper with mulch.

How were you planing on planting your flowers? They could be broadcast
on the mulch after a couple of months, and followed up with a dusting of
compost.

Many thanks.

Newnzee

Could rent a tiller machine.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:45 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
Nad R wrote:

Billy wrote:
In article ,
newnzee wrote:

I have quite a large garden which is bordered by hedges. I want to
plant wild flowers around the border and would like to know how to
prepare ground.

At present the area is grass.
I propose to apply weedkiller and then rotavate the area.
Would this be the best thing to do?

No, that would be the worst thing you could do to the soil.

Cover grass with newspaper. Cover the newspaper with mulch.

How were you planing on planting your flowers? They could be broadcast
on the mulch after a couple of months, and followed up with a dusting of
compost.

Many thanks.

Newnzee

Could rent a tiller machine.

What's wrong with you boy? You hit your head or sumthin'?

http://www.plantea.com/no-tilling.htm
http://www.examiner.com/organic-gard.../rototill-your
-garden-the-right-way
--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyE5wjc4XOw
http://www.salem-news.com/articles/j...acks_1-5-09.ph

[IMG] code is On

Flowers - Wild-Mustard-Flowers.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 0 20-05-2009 10:13 AM
Wild wild rocket Mike Lyle United Kingdom 28 01-08-2004 09:51 PM
Photos - Wild Flowers Icarus Plant Biology 0 18-04-2004 03:06 PM
Photos - Wild Flowers Icarus Gardening 0 17-04-2004 07:37 PM
Wild flowers? Alan Holmes United Kingdom 2 30-05-2003 04:11 PM