Old 08-01-2011, 04:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default O/T Birds Falling Dead From Sky ???

It seems that huge amounts of birds are falling dead from the sky world
wide. Fish are also dying now in huge numbers all around the world.
What the heck is going on? Seems like it started with the honey bees
dying off and then went to bats and now this dreadful news. As
gardeners we should all be concerned. Without the help from our avian
friends, the insect population could explode. We really need the help
of good pollinators like the bees and we need birds and bats also to
keep harmful insects in check!

Rich

Old 08-01-2011, 08:12 PM posted to rec.gardens

Billy wrote in
:

" . . . mass die-offs ‹ usually of animals with large populations . .
." Uh-oh.

No doubt, the earth would be better for it.

Steve
--
He's dead, Jim.
You get his wallet; I'll get his tricorder.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:46 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"Steve.IA" wrote:

Billy wrote in
:

" . . . mass die-offs ‹ usually of animals with large populations . .
." Uh-oh.

No doubt, the earth would be better for it.

Steve

Much better. I just wish I could be left out of it. Passenger pigeons
used to "blacken the skies" in the East. It was unthinkable that they
would ever become extinct.

If you haven't read it, you might try

The World Without Us (Paperback)
by Alan Weisman
http://www.amazon.com/World-Without-...2427905/ref=sr
_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1274206221&sr=1-1

A real page turner in the same league as "Guns, Germs, and Steel".

(Available from better libraries near you, at least until the
Republicans, with help from the "Blue Dog" Democrats, close them.)
--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyE5wjc4XOw

Old 19-01-2011, 01:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 8, 10:54*am, (EVP MAN) wrote:
It seems that huge amounts of birds are falling dead from the sky world
wide. *Fish are also dying now in huge numbers all around the world.
What the heck is going on? *Seems like it started with the honey bees
dying off and then went to bats and now this dreadful news. *As
gardeners we should all be concerned. *Without the help from our avian
friends, *the insect population could explode. *We really need the help
of good pollinators like the bees and we need birds and bats also to
keep harmful insects in check! *

Rich

http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/mortality_events/ongoing.jsp

Chris
Old 19-01-2011, 01:59 AM posted to rec.gardens

In article
,
Chris wrote:

On Jan 8, 10:54*am, (EVP MAN) wrote:
It seems that huge amounts of birds are falling dead from the sky world
wide. *Fish are also dying now in huge numbers all around the world.
What the heck is going on? *Seems like it started with the honey bees
dying off and then went to bats and now this dreadful news. *As
gardeners we should all be concerned. *Without the help from our avian
friends, *the insect population could explode. *We really need the help
of good pollinators like the bees and we need birds and bats also to
keep harmful insects in check! *

Rich

http://www.nwhc.usgs.gov/mortality_events/ongoing.jsp

Chris

In Sonoma County, the starling came "loop dee loop" out of a vineyard
where they had been grazing on the grapes that missed being harvested,
drunker than a Shelly-skunk after breakfast, and slammed into a semi
truck.
--
- Billy
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²