Old 14-01-2011, 06:54 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Rainbow Eucalyptus

On Jan 14, 1:51*am, "David E. Ross" wrote:
On 1/12/11 11:36 PM, Golden One wrote:

On Jan 10, 12:27 pm, "David Hare-Scott" wrote:
MiamiCuse wrote:
I really like this tree. * Saw a specimen of it in the ground at a
local nursery, it was about 15' tall with a tree trunk about six
inches in diameter. *They said it has been there since 1998. *They
planted it about five feet from the wall of the store. *They have
some for sale right now.
http://eucalyptusdeglupta.com/trunk02a.jpg
http://eucalyptusdeglupta.com/trunk03.jpg
http://eucalyptusdeglupta.com/5tree.jpg

The problem is according to my search, in it's native habitat it
grows to 250 feet with huge trunk. *The local nusery said in here
(miami, south Florida) it will not grow to near that size, but they
can't tell me anything more. *They planted one right next to their
foundation wall and it has not grown to be huge.

It's certain not to grow to that size in any timeframe that the nursery
would care about but that isn't the answer to your question.

So my question is whether I should take a risk and plant one. *On my
property I can plant one 25' or 30' from the house. *I don't know if
this is enough distance, the guy at the nusery says no problem, but
he was trying to sell me a tree. *Anyone has experience with this
tree?

How close is your climate and soil to those of its native range? *Will it
get full sun? *The closer you are to its native environment the closer it
will get to its maximum size. *Even though many eucalypts are fast growing
it is unlikely to make 200ft in your lifetime :-)

Big trees near the house are a risk of falling over or dropping branches.
Some Eucalypts have additional risks in that they shed branches at
unpredictable times - that is you don't have to wait for a wind storm. *I
don't know if this one has that habit as being a foreigner it isn't in any
of my books.

Even if it only makes 60-80ft high, 30ft from the house is too close for me.
When you see houses crushed under eucalypts on the TV news after every big
storm *because optimists don't think it can happen to them you get cautious.
Are you prepared to take it down in 10-20 years time if necessary?

In addition it is likely to be messy like most eucalypts, they drop
leaves all year round and this one sheds bark as well. You will not
have much success at growing anything under it, they use all available
water. Maybe bromeliads that you can overhead water.

All trees drop leaves.

Agreed. However, most eucalypts are very messy treese, ask anyone who
has a swimming pool. If not removed in a timely fashion they will turn
your pool brown. They are also not soft leaves that compost or break
down easily.

As I said, good luck with growing anything under it.

Some drop throughout the year. *Ask anyone who has a pine tree or a
southern magnolia.

Others drop leaves seasonally. *I have mounds of leaves on my patio and
paths because the garden-waste bin is full of leaves, all from my ash
tree. *My compost pile has all the leaves it can handle without
disrupting the composting process. *My flower and shrub beds are mulched
with enough leaves to keep the soil cool and moist this coming summer.
And the tree is still dropping.

Even palms drop their fronds.

Also, while this particular eucalyptus sheds bark, there are "iron-bark"
eucalyptus trees that do not shed. *These include the red-flowering gum
and the pink ironbark.

And? I commented specifically on the bark shedding qualities of this
tree.

JB

--
David E. Ross
Climate: *California Mediterranean

Old 18-01-2011, 08:22 PM
Registered User

If you plant it, you can have a tree service and regular pruning.
Most of the growth of Eucalyptus fast enough, strong pruning scars
Is quickly hidden.
__________________
pumps for pond
Old 20-01-2011, 06:41 PM posted to rec.gardens

http://eucalyptusdeglupta.com/trunk0....com/5tree.jpg

The problem is according to my search, in it's native habitat it grows to
250 feet with huge trunk. *The local nusery said in here (miami, south
Florida) it will not grow to near that size, but they can't tell me anything
more. *They planted one right next to their foundation wall and it has not
grown to be huge.

So my question is whether I should take a risk and plant one. *On my
property I can plant one 25' or 30' from the house. *I don't know if this is
enough distance, the guy at the nusery says no problem, but he was trying to
sell me a tree. *Anyone has experience with this tree?

Who sells this tree in Miami?
Old 09-07-2020, 07:14 AM posted to rec.gardens

replying to Billy, Johnnydo wrote:
It’s one of the top 10 fastest growing trees.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/garden...tus-94979-.htm