GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   need advice (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/195244-need-advice.html)

nightlux 15-01-2011 05:59 PM

need advice

hi all im looking for a nice plant that can smell up my house with a lovely strong aroma could any body recomend any stinky plants all advice and opinions will be appreciated.

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 15-01-2011 10:36 PM

need advice

nightlux wrote:
hi all im looking for a nice plant that can smell up my house with a
lovely strong aroma could any body recomend any stinky plants all
advice and opinions will be appreciated.

Does it need to grow in the house or are you talking about hanging bunches
of dried (or fresh) herbage about?

Smell and taste are very subjective judgements. What kind of smell do you
want? Do you want some specific type of aroma or just anything strong
enough to cover the reek of the cat's tray or the used bong on the coffee
table?

David

Nad R 15-01-2011 10:47 PM

need advice

nightlux wrote:
hi all im looking for a nice plant that can smell up my house with a
lovely strong aroma could any body recomend any stinky plants all advice
and opinions will be appreciated.

Lilac bush, outside, under your opened fine screened window, nice weather
only.
Could try Orchids for indoors, good luck keeping them alive. Expensive cut
flowers.

For winter, not exactly in garden category, but I like the smell of fresh
baked bread.
Chocolate Chip cookies a good second... Homemade apple pie...

One thing about nice smelling plants... They attract bugs. Even indoors.
Keep a nice supply of indoor bug spray.

George[_14_] 16-01-2011 08:27 AM

need advice

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
nightlux wrote:
hi all im looking for a nice plant that can smell up my house with a
lovely strong aroma could any body recomend any stinky plants all
advice and opinions will be appreciated.

try one of these, Honeysuckle

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honeysuckle

rob

Jungle girl 16-01-2011 02:51 PM

Try Winter flowering Honeysuckle. Great for outside or cut flowering sprigs in the winter - will fill the room with scent. Good for bees (outside!!) because it flowers when not much else is!!

Summer Jasmine - beautiful tiny white flowers with a delightful aroma but - plant it in a pot on solid ground. Mine was in the ground and it took over!! Thus the Jungle girl user name!! It can be grown indoors too!

I hope it helps!

Notat Home 16-01-2011 04:40 PM

need advice

nightlux wrote:
hi all im looking for a nice plant that can smell up my house with a
lovely strong aroma could any body recomend any stinky plants all advice
and opinions will be appreciated.

Night-blooming Cereus

Brooklyn1 16-01-2011 04:52 PM

need advice

http://www.airwick.us/access/index.html

Bill who putters 16-01-2011 05:16 PM

need advice

In article ,
Notat Home wrote:

nightlux wrote:
hi all im looking for a nice plant that can smell up my house with a
lovely strong aroma could any body recomend any stinky plants all advice
and opinions will be appreciated.

We used to grow scented geraniums outside but did not bring them in.
They come in a myriad of scents.

http://www.google.com/search?q=scent...utf-8&oe=utf-8

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

From "The Etiquette of Freedom" Shakespeare Quote.
"We are nature too."

Brooklyn1 16-01-2011 05:59 PM

need advice

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 12:16:08 -0500, Bill who putters
wrote:

In article ,
Notat Home wrote:

nightlux wrote:
hi all im looking for a nice plant that can smell up my house with a
lovely strong aroma could any body recomend any stinky plants all advice
and opinions will be appreciated.

We used to grow scented geraniums outside but did not bring them in.
They come in a myriad of scents.

Actually they come in myriad scents... there is NEVER "of" after
myriad.

Bill who putters 16-01-2011 06:20 PM

need advice

In article ,
Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 12:16:08 -0500, Bill who putters
wrote:

In article ,
Notat Home wrote:

nightlux wrote:
hi all im looking for a nice plant that can smell up my house with a
lovely strong aroma could any body recomend any stinky plants all advice
and opinions will be appreciated.

We used to grow scented geraniums outside but did not bring them in.
They come in a myriad of scents.

Actually they come in myriad scents... there is NEVER "of" after
myriad.

Oh? Lost in particulars you are Shelly.

myriad |?mir??d| poetic/literary
noun
1 a countless or extremely great number : networks connecting a myriad
of computers.
2 (chiefly in classical history) a unit of ten thousand.
adjective
countless or extremely great in number : the myriad lights of the city.
? having countless or very many elements or aspects : the myriad
political scene.
ORIGIN mid 16th cent. (sense 2 of the noun) : via late Latin from Greek
murias, muriad-, from murioi '10,000.'
USAGE Myriad is derived from a Greek noun and adjective meaning 'ten
thousand'. It was first used in English as a noun in reference to a
great but indefinite number. The adjectival sense of 'countless,
innumerable' appeared much later. In modern English, use of myriad as a
noun and adjective are equally standard and correct, despite the fact
that some traditionalists consider the adjective as the only acceptable
use of the word.

--
Bill S. Jersey USA zone 5 shade garden

From "The Etiquette of Freedom" Shakespeare Quote.
"We are nature too."

Billy[_10_] 16-01-2011 08:41 PM

need advice

In article ,
Bill who putters wrote:

In article ,
Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 12:16:08 -0500, Bill who putters
wrote:

In article ,
Notat Home wrote:

nightlux wrote:
[...]

Hmmm. Wrong again, eh Shelly? 'Atta boy. It's good to know that you are
consistent, but you should probably go back to mangling grapevines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myriad
In English, the term "myriad" is most commonly used to refer to a large
number of an unspecified size. In this way "myriad" can be used as
either a noun or an adjective.[1] Thus both "there are myriad people
outside" and "there is a myriad of people outside" are correct.
--
- Billy
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 16-01-2011 09:07 PM

need advice

Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 12:16:08 -0500, Bill who putters
wrote:

In article ,
Notat Home wrote:

nightlux wrote:
hi all im looking for a nice plant that can smell up my house
with a lovely strong aroma could any body recomend any stinky
plants all advice and opinions will be appreciated.

We used to grow scented geraniums outside but did not bring them in.
They come in a myriad of scents.

Actually they come in myriad scents... there is NEVER "of" after
myriad.

You know you are desperate to grouch at somebody when you pick on a stranger
over a fine point of grammar and get it wrong.

I suggest you get a large plastic cat and kick that around your house.

David

lannerman 16-01-2011 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightlux (Post 910139)
hi all im looking for a nice plant that can smell up my house with a lovely strong aroma could any body recomend any stinky plants all advice and opinions will be appreciated.

Yes, I too would opt for a white Jasmine indoors but make sure its, Jasminum polyanthemum and not J. officinale. the former is much more scented and is evergreen. You dont say where you live, which would determine what would grow outside . If its a well lit place indoors, you could try another climber with very waxy evergreen foliage and scented white flowers, either Trachelospermum asiaticum or, if you can get it T. jasminoides.
hope this helps, best wishes, Lannerman

Brooklyn1 17-01-2011 12:36 AM

need advice

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 08:07:56 +1100, "David Hare-Scott"
wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 12:16:08 -0500, Bill who putters
wrote:

In article ,
Notat Home wrote:

nightlux wrote:
hi all im looking for a nice plant that can smell up my house
with a lovely strong aroma could any body recomend any stinky
plants all advice and opinions will be appreciated.

We used to grow scented geraniums outside but did not bring them in.
They come in a myriad of scents.

Actually they come in myriad scents... there is NEVER "of" after
myriad.

You know you are desperate to grouch at somebody when you pick on a stranger
over a fine point of grammar and get it wrong.

If you want to use obsolete form go right ahead... only a transvestite
freak hyphenates their name. Who's yer daddy... you haven't a clue.

FarmI 17-01-2011 01:39 AM

need advice

wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 12:16:08 -0500, Bill who putters
wrote:

In article ,
Notat Home wrote:

nightlux wrote:
hi all im looking for a nice plant that can smell up my house
with a lovely strong aroma could any body recomend any stinky
plants all advice and opinions will be appreciated.

We used to grow scented geraniums outside but did not bring them in.
They come in a myriad of scents.

Actually they come in myriad scents... there is NEVER "of" after
myriad.

You know you are desperate to grouch at somebody when you pick on a
stranger
over a fine point of grammar and get it wrong.

If you want to use obsolete form go right ahead... only a transvestite
freak hyphenates their name. Who's yer daddy... you haven't a clue.

LOL. You really can be silly at times Sheldon.

Billy[_10_] 17-01-2011 03:12 AM

need advice

wrote:

Brooklyn1 wrote:
On Sun, 16 Jan 2011 12:16:08 -0500, Bill who putters
wrote:

In article ,
Notat Home wrote:

nightlux wrote:
hi all im looking for a nice plant that can smell up my house
with a lovely strong aroma could any body recomend any stinky
plants all advice and opinions will be appreciated.

We used to grow scented geraniums outside but did not bring them in.
They come in a myriad of scents.

Actually they come in myriad scents... there is NEVER "of" after
myriad.

You know you are desperate to grouch at somebody when you pick on a stranger
over a fine point of grammar and get it wrong.

If you want to use obsolete form go right ahead... only a transvestite
freak hyphenates their name. Who's yer daddy... you haven't a clue.

Not obsolete according to the dictionary, Shelly. Remember to engage
mind, before letting the clutch out on your mouth (keyboard, whatever).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myriad
In English, the term "myriad" is most commonly used to refer to a large
number of an unspecified size.

In this way "myriad" can be used as either a noun or an adjective.

Thus both "there are myriad people
outside" and "there is a myriad of people outside" are correct.

English is a hard language to learn, good luck ;O)
- Billy

jellybean stonerfish 17-01-2011 06:50 AM

need advice

On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 17:59:26 +0000, nightlux wrote:

hi all im looking for a nice plant that can smell up my house with a
lovely strong aroma could any body recomend any stinky plants all advice
and opinions will be appreciated.

alt.drugs.pot

hollierose 17-01-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightlux (Post 910139)
hi all im looking for a nice plant that can smell up my house with a lovely strong aroma could any body recomend any stinky plants all advice and opinions will be appreciated.

I recommend roses or lavenders. :) they smell beautiful!

Nanzi 17-01-2011 03:33 PM

need advice

On Jan 17, 1:50*am, jellybean stonerfish
wrote:
On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 17:59:26 +0000, nightlux wrote:
hi all *im looking for a nice plant that can smell up my house with a
lovely strong aroma could any body recomend any stinky plants all advice
and opinions will be appreciated.

alt.drugs.pot

lovely skunk smell.......so I've been told!!

Billy[_10_] 17-01-2011 04:58 PM

need advice

In article
,

wrote:
On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 17:59:26 +0000, nightlux wrote:
hi all *im looking for a nice plant that can smell up my house with a
lovely strong aroma could any body recomend any stinky plants all advice
and opinions will be appreciated.

alt.drugs.pot

lovely skunk smell.......so I've been told!!

Then why not just get a skunk for that lovely skunk smell?
--
- Billy
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²
-Archbishop Helder Camara
http://peace.mennolink.org/articles/...acegroups.html
http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth...130964689.html
20111812130964689.html

Brooklyn1 17-01-2011 07:07 PM

need advice

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 08:58:09 -0800, Billy
wrote:

In article
,

wrote:
On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 17:59:26 +0000, nightlux wrote:
hi all *im looking for a nice plant that can smell up my house with a
lovely strong aroma could any body recomend any stinky plants all advice
and opinions will be appreciated.

alt.drugs.pot

lovely skunk smell.......so I've been told!!

Then why not just get a skunk for that lovely skunk smell?

You're volunteering! LOL

Some claim it's a toss up between skunk and billy goat schtink, but
billy goat schtench schmells worse.

Billy[_10_] 17-01-2011 09:29 PM

need advice

In article ,
Brooklyn1 Gravesend1 wrote:

On Mon, 17 Jan 2011 08:58:09 -0800, Billy
wrote:

In article
,

wrote:
On Sat, 15 Jan 2011 17:59:26 +0000, nightlux wrote:
hi all *im looking for a nice plant that can smell up my house with a
lovely strong aroma could any body recomend any stinky plants all
advice
and opinions will be appreciated.

alt.drugs.pot

lovely skunk smell.......so I've been told!!

Then why not just get a skunk for that lovely skunk smell?

You're volunteering! LOL

Some claim it's a toss up between skunk and billy goat schtink, but
billy goat schtench schmells worse.

As clever as ever, eh, Shelly? In your face.

sf[_2_] 18-01-2011 01:49 AM

need advice

wrote:

hi all im looking for a nice plant that can smell up my house with a
lovely strong aroma could any body recomend any stinky plants all advice
and opinions will be appreciated.

You could plant jasmine or honeysuckle under a window and grow it on a
trellis. If the air outside is fairly still and warm, the air will be
heavily perfumed and you'll have the option of closing your window if
it gets to be too odiferous for you.

--

Carrot cake counts as a serving of vegetables.

eoncook 18-01-2011 07:20 PM

Smell something good plant to attract their mistakes. Even in the room.
Maintain a good supply of indoor insecticide.

Billy[_10_] 18-01-2011 10:00 PM

need advice

In article ,
eoncook wrote:

Smell something good plant to attract their mistakes. Even in the room.
Maintain a good supply of indoor insecticide.

and "Breath deeply", right?

Insecticide is a subdivision of biocide. Guess what? You are a
subdivision of "bio".

If you need more poison in your life, insecticides are for you.

northwards 19-01-2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nightlux (Post 910139)
hi all im looking for a nice plant that can smell up my house with a lovely strong aroma could any body recomend any stinky plants all advice and opinions will be appreciated.

If you want indoor plants, try hyacinths from bulbs. It's a bit late this year but you could put it on the list for next year

Nad R 19-01-2011 03:45 PM

Anybody out there use grow-lamps?

northwards wrote:
Hi everybody

I'm new to these forums but I've been lurking for a while and they look
really informative. I live in the Cairngorm Mountains, in Aberdeenshire,
in Scotland, so the gardening conditions can be challenging, to say the
least

Because light levels here aren't great in the spring, I've always
started my seedlings off under grow-lamps. Does anybody have any
experience of the new LED grow-lamps, or do most people use the usual
high-intensity bulbs or fluorescent lights?

Any advice or opinions will be gratefully received!

I have no experience with the new LED lamps. However,

I use low 15W T-5 grow lights, just two feet long, cost $15 per light. I
have eight lights. I have one 72 cell or two 48 cell trays for each light.
Seems to work very well. However, I have not tried other higher powered
lights. I also have southern facing windows. I have notice my plants grow
better with the lamps over the windows alone. In spring I only get about 10
hours max of sunshine though the windows. Many days in the spring it is
very cloudy restricting the sunshine even more. So far I see no need for
the high powered lights. I just put the lights closer to the plants. I use
a small chains with small hooks to manually raise and lower the lights.

zxcvbob 19-01-2011 07:30 PM

northwards wrote:
Hi everybody

I'm new to these forums but I've been lurking for a while and they look
really informative. I live in the Cairngorm Mountains, in Aberdeenshire,
in Scotland, so the gardening conditions can be challenging, to say the
least

Because light levels here aren't great in the spring, I've always
started my seedlings off under grow-lamps. Does anybody have any
experience of the new LED grow-lamps, or do most people use the usual
high-intensity bulbs or fluorescent lights?

Any advice or opinions will be gratefully received!

I use F32T8 fluorescent 2-lamp fixtures, just a few inches above my
seedlings. They work great until the little plants outgrow them.
I'll start my first peppers in about a month, and tomatoes about April 1.

For big plants, I currently have a 400W HPS security floodlight in my
basement on a timer for about 12 hours a day. The plants do OK, but
it looks ugly and uses a lot of juice. I'm about to replace it with a
4-lamp F54T5HO fixture that I can hang from the ceiling and adjust the
height.
http://relightdepot.com/fixtures/high-bay-fixtures/t5ho-high-bay/4-lamp-t5ho-full-body-high-bay-enhanced-reflector.html

We're approaching the season when red spider mites appear out of
nowhere and kill half my big plants. Got my fingers crossed...

-Bob

Amos Nomore 19-01-2011 08:01 PM

northwards wrote:

Hi everybody

I'm new to these forums but I've been lurking for a while and they look
really informative. I live in the Cairngorm Mountains, in Aberdeenshire,
in Scotland, so the gardening conditions can be challenging, to say the
least

Because light levels here aren't great in the spring, I've always
started my seedlings off under grow-lamps. Does anybody have any
experience of the new LED grow-lamps, or do most people use the usual
high-intensity bulbs or fluorescent lights?

Any advice or opinions will be gratefully received!

I have two 400W HID lamps, one high pressure sodium and one metal
halide. In the fall I bring my non-hardy potted plants indoors and
place the flowering plants under the hps (more red wavelength light) and
the vegetative ones under the mh (bluer light). I also have a board
with 4 twin 40W fluorescent fixtures bolted to it which I use for
starting seedlings. High output fluorescents with horticultural tubes
are excellent, but hid lamps are far easier to manipulate, take up less
space and are, I believe, more electrically efficient.

Bobo 20-01-2011 02:27 AM

Anybody out there use grow-lamps?

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 14:43:06 +0000, northwards
wrote:

Hi everybody

I'm new to these forums but I've been lurking for a while and they look
really informative. I live in the Cairngorm Mountains, in Aberdeenshire,
in Scotland, so the gardening conditions can be challenging, to say the
least

Because light levels here aren't great in the spring, I've always
started my seedlings off under grow-lamps. Does anybody have any
experience of the new LED grow-lamps, or do most people use the usual
high-intensity bulbs or fluorescent lights?

Any advice or opinions will be gratefully received!

I found a 400w metal halide lamp at a sale a few years back and though
it's more expensive to run it's another world compared to my old grow
lamps. With the grow lamps the lights had to be so close to the plants
that variations in seedling hight messed things up and when plants got
bigger the lower leaves didn't get enough light. None of that with the
pot farm light. No more spindley tomatoes.

Pat Kiewicz[_2_] 20-01-2011 01:57 PM

northwards said:

Hi everybody

I'm new to these forums but I've been lurking for a while and they look
really informative. I live in the Cairngorm Mountains, in Aberdeenshire,
in Scotland, so the gardening conditions can be challenging, to say the
least

Because light levels here aren't great in the spring, I've always
started my seedlings off under grow-lamps. Does anybody have any
experience of the new LED grow-lamps, or do most people use the usual
high-intensity bulbs or fluorescent lights?

I replaced a metal halide lamp with a (very expensive) high intensity LED
light which uses a lot less power. My seed starting area is roughly
3' x3' (or 1m x1m) and lined with reflective mylar. I added a second,
smaller, and less expensive LED panel near the back wall of the box part
way through the process.

My plants were much stockier, most likely do to the lower heat.

This winter I hung the smaller panel in the window where I overwinter
my orchid, in place of the small florescent fixture I was using. It's doing
better than ever.

My very expensive light:
http://www.superled.net/ledgrowlights.html

My less expensive light:
http://shop.sunshine-systems.com/pro...c?productId=10

Just be advised that the plants will look strange under these lights, almost
black.

My verdict: they work, are admirably suited to growing in a small area
that won't fit long florescent fixtures or are prone to overheating with
high-output metal halide lamps.

But they are very pricey to buy.

On the other hand, they use far less power than any other option and
should suffer only minimal output loss over a very long life, with no
need for replacement lamps.

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

nutrients..." --Largo Potter, Valkyria Chronicles

email valid but not regularly monitored