GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Need help! (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/195258-need-help.html)

hollierose 17-01-2011 11:20 AM

Need help!

In our garden there's a bleak wall I'd like to cover up by planting a climber. It's in shade part of the day. Any suggestions? The climber can be planted directly into the soil of the flowerbed that's at the base. So I just literally need ideas of what to plant! Thank you :)

cshenk 17-01-2011 06:56 PM

Need help!

"hollierose" co.uk wrote

In our garden there's a bleak wall I'd like to cover up by planting a
climber. It's in shade part of the day. Any suggestions? The climber can
be planted directly into the soil of the flowerbed that's at the base.
So I just literally need ideas of what to plant! Thank you :)

You are in the UK? is the wall part of the house or separate? Is it wood
fencing, brick and mortar, or something elese? Makes a difference in what
you may want to do. Some for example will damage a mortar add brick wall (or
stone and mortar) but do well on wood fences.

lannerman 17-01-2011 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hollierose (Post 910238)
In our garden there's a bleak wall I'd like to cover up by planting a climber. It's in shade part of the day. Any suggestions? The climber can be planted directly into the soil of the flowerbed that's at the base. So I just literally need ideas of what to plant! Thank you :)

Assuming that ideally you would want an evergreen, I would suggest you plant Hydrangea seemannii, its a vigorous, evergreen, self clinging climbing hydrangea with large glossy attractive leaves and the usual creamy white, lace-cap like summer flowers and originates from Mexico but is quite hardy in the UK.
best wishes Lannerman

hollierose 18-01-2011 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lannerman (Post 910265)
Assuming that ideally you would want an evergreen, I would suggest you plant Hydrangea seemannii, its a vigorous, evergreen, self clinging climbing hydrangea with large glossy attractive leaves and the usual creamy white, lace-cap like summer flowers and originates from Mexico but is quite hardy in the UK.
best wishes Lannerman

Thank you ever so much :)

hollierose 18-01-2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cshenk (Post 910268)
"hollierose" co.uk wrote

In our garden there's a bleak wall I'd like to cover up by planting a
climber. It's in shade part of the day. Any suggestions? The climber can
be planted directly into the soil of the flowerbed that's at the base.
So I just literally need ideas of what to plant! Thank you :)

You are in the UK? is the wall part of the house or separate? Is it wood
fencing, brick and mortar, or something elese? Makes a difference in what
you may want to do. Some for example will damage a mortar add brick wall (or
stone and mortar) but do well on wood fences.

Yes I am in the Uk. :) and It's wood, and it's part of my fence. Although me and my neighbour are right next to each other we don't share a fence so it wouldn't make any difference to him.