GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Please identify (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/195335-please-identify.html)

Jolly Roger 23-01-2011 04:05 PM

Please identify

Can anyone identify this climber? It is growing in Greece, but probably not indiginous. Seems to be evergreen because it has fruits and leaves in January. The fruit/seedcase is about 10cms long. I thought it could be a variety of Passiflora, but that's only a guess.

Amos Nomore 23-01-2011 10:39 PM

Please identify

In article ,
Jolly Roger wrote:

Can anyone identify this climber? It is growing in Greece, but probably
not indiginous. Seems to be evergreen because it has fruits and leaves
in January. The fruit/seedcase is about 10cms long. I thought it could
be a variety of Passiflora, but that's only a guess.

[image:
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ntreduced.jpg]

Stephanotis floribunda is a possibility.

David Hare-Scott[_2_] 23-01-2011 10:53 PM

Please identify

Jolly Roger wrote:
Can anyone identify this climber? It is growing in Greece, but
probably not indiginous. Seems to be evergreen because it has fruits
and leaves in January. The fruit/seedcase is about 10cms long. I
thought it could be a variety of Passiflora, but that's only a guess.

[image:
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ntreduced.jpg]

My guess is banana passionfruit

Jolly Roger 24-01-2011 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Hare-Scott[_2_] (Post 910793)
Jolly Roger wrote:
Can anyone identify this climber? It is growing in Greece, but
probably not indiginous. Seems to be evergreen because it has fruits
and leaves in January. The fruit/seedcase is about 10cms long. I
thought it could be a variety of Passiflora, but that's only a guess.

[image:
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...ntreduced.jpg]

My guess is banana passionfruit

Thanks David, I was on the right track then!
The inside of the fruit is not quite the same as pictures on websites, but that is probably because those on this specimen still need some ripening.

paranormale 25-01-2011 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolly Roger (Post 910768)
Can anyone identify this climber? It is growing in Greece, but probably not indiginous. Seems to be evergreen because it has fruits and leaves in January. The fruit/seedcase is about 10cms long. I thought it could be a variety of Passiflora, but that's only a guess.

It could'n be a variety of passiflora. I'll ask a Greek friend.