Old 27-01-2011, 12:03 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

Default Flour & cement powder rat poison - queries

willshak wrote:
jellybean stonerfish wrote the following:
On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 13:52:01 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Billy wrote:

Be careful of where you put the poison. I lost 2 cats last year to
poisoning, cats that were encouraged by neighbors, because they
were "mousers".

Why did you put your cats outdoors, you ignorant POS... you need to
be poisoned... actually I'd be happy to tie you into a sack with a
few bricks and toss you into a lake.

Why would you keep your cats locked up inside?

Animal cruelty.

Keeps them clean and free of burrs, ticks, and fleas. Keeps them from
getting killed by cars, dogs, or cat haters, or being carried away by
hawks.

And keeps them from digging up the neighbor's freshly planted veggies and
pooping in their spinach.

I have to put screens over the beds whenever I plant because of neighbor's
uncontrolled cats.

Old 27-01-2011, 12:31 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

"Oren" wrote in message
On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 04:58:22 -0800 (PST), Gas Bag
wrote:

I really would appreciate some advice. Thanks.

Never heard of that mixture before...

Cheap: build one of these. They work on mice and rats.

video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jezQKOl5q-w

A quick snap of the neck seems more humane to me.

Old 27-01-2011, 12:46 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

In article ,
"Colbyt" wrote:

A quick snap of the neck seems more humane to me.

I've thought about it, but the little rat keeps running away ;O)
--
- Billy
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²
Old 27-01-2011, 01:31 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 18:31:23 -0500, "Colbyt"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

I really would appreciate some advice. Thanks.

Never heard of that mixture before...

Cheap: build one of these. They work on mice and rats.

video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jezQKOl5q-w

A quick snap of the neck seems more humane to me.

Certainly. A hangman's noose for rats would possibly work.
Old 27-01-2011, 01:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

wrote:

Be careful of where you put the poison. I lost 2 cats last year to
poisoning, cats that were encouraged by neighbors, because they
were "mousers".

Why did you put your cats outdoors, you ignorant POS... you need to
be poisoned... actually I'd be happy to tie you into a sack with a
few bricks and toss you into a lake.

Why would you keep your cats locked up inside?

Animal cruelty.

Keeps them clean and free of burrs, ticks, and fleas. Keeps them from
getting killed by cars, dogs, or cat haters, or being carried away by
hawks.

And keeps them from digging up the neighbor's freshly planted veggies and
pooping in their spinach.

I have to put screens over the beds whenever I plant because of neighbor's
uncontrolled cats.

Better that than a smelly cat box (and yes, they ALL do smell- the
owners are just desensitized), and a cat that starts trashing furniture
and becoming crazy and/or obese from lack of stimulation and exercise.
And before you say it, I consider declawing to be animal cruelty. How
would you like the last joint of all your fingers and toes cut off?

Sorry, 'indoor only' cats may live longer, but they aren't cats any
more. I could never do that to a sentient creature.

--
aem sends...

Old 27-01-2011, 04:29 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 14:25:23 -0500, willshak wrote:

jellybean stonerfish wrote the following:

Why would you keep your cats locked up inside?

Animal cruelty.

Keeps them clean and free of burrs, ticks, and fleas. Keeps them from
getting killed by cars, dogs, or cat haters, or being carried away by
hawks.

Would you be happy, living a comfortable life in a jail. Most cats need
open space to explore. Deprived of that, they get depressed.

Old 27-01-2011, 04:35 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 15:46:39 -0800, Billy wrote:

In article ,
"Colbyt" wrote:

A quick snap of the neck seems more humane to me.

I've thought about it, but the little rat keeps running away ;O)

Time to bring the cats back into the thread....
Old 27-01-2011, 04:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

wrote:

I really would appreciate some advice. *Thanks.

Never heard of that mixture before...

Cheap: build one of these. *They work on mice and rats.

video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jezQKOl5q-w

A quick snap of the neck seems more humane to me.

Being "humane" is the reason I will never, ever use a 'glue trap'
again. One time was enough to turn my stomach.

Harry K
Old 27-01-2011, 06:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

wrote:

I really would appreciate some advice. Thanks.

Never heard of that mixture before...

Cheap: build one of these. They work on mice and rats.

video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jezQKOl5q-w

A quick snap of the neck seems more humane to me.

Being "humane" is the reason I will never, ever use a 'glue trap'
again. One time was enough to turn my stomach.

Harry K

You should see what a rat trap does to a mouse. The look on the face
of the little mouse conveys extreme surprise and shocked disbelief
after the bar crushes its little backside. The last ultrasonic squeak
of WTF in mouse-speak is frozen in its tiny countenance forever or
until it is consumed by other smaller vermin or it desiccates and
eventually turns to dust. :-)

TDD
Old 28-01-2011, 12:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

wrote:

I really would appreciate some advice. Thanks.

Never heard of that mixture before...

Cheap: build one of these. They work on mice and rats.

video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jezQKOl5q-w

A quick snap of the neck seems more humane to me.

Being "humane" is the reason I will never, ever use a 'glue trap'
again. One time was enough to turn my stomach.

Harry K

You should see what a rat trap does to a mouse. The look on the face
of the little mouse conveys extreme surprise and shocked disbelief
after the bar crushes its little backside. The last ultrasonic squeak
of WTF in mouse-speak is frozen in its tiny countenance forever or
until it is consumed by other smaller vermin or it desiccates and
eventually turns to dust. :-)

TDD

Speaking of "humane" disposition of rats and mice: Flour & cement
powder can't be an easy way to die.

A rat shows up in the local emergency room with a trap snapped around
his neck. No insurance or any papers.

The ER nurse exclaims: "You have to tell us what is wrong."

Old 28-01-2011, 12:39 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

Back in the early 70's I had a handlebar on a Honda 750 snap off at
100mph. I hitched a ride to the emergency room and when I walked in,
a nurse rushed up to me and exclaimed "Oh my God you had a motorcycle
accident!" I answered "No lady I fell out of an airplane." She said
"Well come over here and fill out this paperwork." I was standing
there with blood dripping off the end of my fingers, my clothes were
tattered and bloody and my helmet looked like it had been pushed up
against a big grinding wheel at various angles. Another nurse walked
up and said to the first nurse "Shut up, put him in there." It was one
of the more interesting experiences in my life. :-)

TDD
Old 28-01-2011, 12:58 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

*wrote:

On 1/27/2011 9:59 AM, Harry K wrote:

m...

* wrote:

[...]

100mph! That's where you get your name!
Old 28-01-2011, 01:45 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

On 1/27/2011 5:58 PM, Bob Villa wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Yea, I passed a tractor trailer rig that was doing 80 and I was on foot. :-0

TDD
Old 28-01-2011, 02:42 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

wrote:

[...]

In a fairly routine I would take individuals in the ER. The nurses
constantly would ask "what is wrong with him?"

Finely after getting a case of the ass, blurting out -- "this one has
4 - 6 stab wounds in his chest ... red foam is gurgling from his
chest... he ran out of air or is about to."

Then I told her to stabilize him and we can get 'em to "Danville".
Old 30-01-2011, 11:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

On Jan 26, 10:58*pm, Gas Bag wrote:
I've recently come across some articles that mention you can make your
own "non-toxic" rat/mouse posion by making a 50:50 mixture of regular/
corn flour and cement powder. *They eat the mixture, then go in search
of water. *Once they drink some water....game over. *I have a few
specific questions, in relation to this D.I.Y. rat poison.

- How effective is this mixture at killing rats and/or mice?

- Assuming you place this mixture indoors (e.g. in the roof space),
will this poison ONLY take effect once the rodent goes outside for a
drink of water? *The reason being, I'd want to avoid at-all-costs
having Ratty "snuff it" in my roof space, then having the most God-
awful smell to contend with a few days later.

- Is there anything that can be added to this mixture that would make
it extremely enticing to rats and/or mice? *e.g. Powdered parmesan
cheese, sugar, salt, a little soy/fish sauce, some type of finely
chopped meat (raw or cooked)? *I am just taking a wild guess here, as
I don't know what would attract them.

- Most of all, would tile grouting powder, used for bathroom tiling,
work just as well as cement powder in this D.I.Y. mixture?

I really would appreciate some advice. *Thanks.

Quite a lot of replies, but I am hoping someone can actually respond
specifically to my queries. Where I may place a flour/cement mix,
there would be no other animals, only rats or mice. Totally sealing
up the roofspace 100% is not a viable option at the moment.