Old 30-01-2011, 05:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

Default Flour & cement powder rat poison - queries

On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 02:53:51 -0800 (PST), Gas Bag
wrote:

On Jan 26, 10:58*pm, Gas Bag wrote:
I've recently come across some articles that mention you can make your
own "non-toxic" rat/mouse posion by making a 50:50 mixture of regular/
corn flour and cement powder. *They eat the mixture, then go in search
of water. *Once they drink some water....game over. *I have a few
specific questions, in relation to this D.I.Y. rat poison.

- How effective is this mixture at killing rats and/or mice?

- Assuming you place this mixture indoors (e.g. in the roof space),
will this poison ONLY take effect once the rodent goes outside for a
drink of water? *The reason being, I'd want to avoid at-all-costs
having Ratty "snuff it" in my roof space, then having the most God-
awful smell to contend with a few days later.

- Is there anything that can be added to this mixture that would make
it extremely enticing to rats and/or mice? *e.g. Powdered parmesan
cheese, sugar, salt, a little soy/fish sauce, some type of finely
chopped meat (raw or cooked)? *I am just taking a wild guess here, as
I don't know what would attract them.

- Most of all, would tile grouting powder, used for bathroom tiling,
work just as well as cement powder in this D.I.Y. mixture?

I really would appreciate some advice. *Thanks.

Quite a lot of replies, but I am hoping someone can actually respond
specifically to my queries. Where I may place a flour/cement mix,
there would be no other animals, only rats or mice.

Totally sealing up the roofspace 100% is not a viable option at the moment.

Why not?
Old 02-02-2011, 09:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

aemeijers wrote:

And keeps them from digging up the neighbor's freshly planted
veggies and pooping in their spinach.

I have to put screens over the beds whenever I plant because of
neighbor's uncontrolled cats.

Better that than a smelly cat box (and yes, they ALL do smell- the
owners are just desensitized), and a cat that starts trashing
furniture and becoming crazy and/or obese from lack of stimulation
and exercise. And before you say it, I consider declawing to be
animal cruelty. How would you like the last joint of all your fingers
and toes cut off?
Sorry, 'indoor only' cats may live longer, but they aren't cats any
more. I could never do that to a sentient creature.

But you have no hesitation to do a number on your neighbors with your cats.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:08 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

On Jan 30, 4:53*am, Gas Bag wrote:
[...]

What about mine..."D'CONcrete is whot make it work mon!"
Old 02-02-2011, 10:26 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 12:38:52 -0800, "Bob F"
wrote:

aemeijers wrote:

And keeps them from digging up the neighbor's freshly planted
veggies and pooping in their spinach.

I have to put screens over the beds whenever I plant because of
neighbor's uncontrolled cats.

Better that than a smelly cat box (and yes, they ALL do smell- the
owners are just desensitized), and a cat that starts trashing
furniture and becoming crazy and/or obese from lack of stimulation
and exercise. And before you say it, I consider declawing to be
animal cruelty. How would you like the last joint of all your fingers
and toes cut off?
Sorry, 'indoor only' cats may live longer, but they aren't cats any
more. I could never do that to a sentient creature.

But you have no hesitation to do a number on your neighbors with your cats.

People who put house cats out can't possibly care about their pets any
more than people who put their five year olds out to play on the
freeway. Domesticated cats are not ferral, they have very few outdoor
survival skills if any. Most folks who are annoyed by their neighbors
pet cats will shoot them. .177 pellet guns make no noise and leave no
identifying traces.. more cats die from gun shot than from any other
cause. Anyone who puts a house cat out because they think they are
harming a sentient creature by keeping it indoors is a pinhead with a
lower IQ than any cat. And cats don't smell, not unless they are ill.
Exuding no odor is just one way how nature made felines one of the
best hunters on the planet, which is why they also bury their waste,
the only animal that does. Naturally the lazy *******s that don't
regularly clean the cat box are who smell, not the cat. Humans
smell... and I'm positive if I ever visited your terlits I'd about die
from the stench.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:51 AM posted to rec.gardens

aemeijers wrote:

And keeps them from digging up the neighbor's freshly planted veggies
and pooping in their spinach.

I have to put screens over the beds whenever I plant because of
neighbor's uncontrolled cats.

Better that than a smelly cat box (and yes, they ALL do smell- the
owners are just desensitized), and a cat that starts trashing
furniture and becoming crazy and/or obese from lack of stimulation and
exercise. And before you say it, I consider declawing to be animal
cruelty. How would you like the last joint of all your fingers and
toes cut off?
Sorry, 'indoor only' cats may live longer, but they aren't cats any
more. I could never do that to a sentient creature.

But you have no hesitation to do a number on your neighbors with your
cats.

I made a nice toilet for my cat, outside. I filled some planters with a
nice sand. One, the most used by the cat, is 50 feet long, by 3 feet
wide. There are enough plants, where the cat has privacy. There is no
problem with too many poops, as they just decompose, the sprinklers come
on every other day. Also my yard has other areas for the cat to poo,
hang out and play in. The dog also likes to be in the yard, and protects
the cat from any larger creatures that may stray in. The cat can come inside
when it wants to. Sometimes, when we leave the animals are all locked
outside with food and water. I taught the dog to be ok when left alone.
As a puppy, I made sure he had plenty of alone time, and plenty of time
with strangers. I didn't want my pet to be dependent on me for comfort.
Of course the dog and cat love to come in at night, but a couple of times
a week I make them stay out, to maintain their comfort with being alone.

It is late, forgive me for grammar or spelling mistakes.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

wrote:

aemeijers wrote:

And keeps them from digging up the neighbor's freshly planted
veggies and pooping in their spinach.

I have to put screens over the beds whenever I plant because of
neighbor's uncontrolled cats.

Better that than a smelly cat box (and yes, they ALL do smell- the
owners are just desensitized), and a cat that starts trashing
furniture and becoming crazy and/or obese from lack of stimulation
and exercise. And before you say it, I consider declawing to be
animal cruelty. How would you like the last joint of all your fingers
and toes cut off?
Sorry, 'indoor only' cats may live longer, but they aren't cats any
more. I could never do that to a sentient creature.

But you have no hesitation to do a number on your neighbors with your cats.

(1)
People who put house cats out can't possibly care about their pets any
more than people who put their five year olds out to play on the
freeway.

(2)
Domesticated cats are not ferral, they have very few outdoor
survival skills if any.

(3)
Most folks who are annoyed by their neighbors
pet cats will shoot them. .177 pellet guns make no noise and leave no
identifying traces.. more cats die from gun shot than from any other
cause.

(4)
Anyone who puts a house cat out because they think they are
harming a sentient creature by keeping it indoors is a pinhead with a
lower IQ than any cat.

And cats don't smell, not unless they are ill.
Exuding no odor is just one way how nature made felines one of the
best hunters on the planet, which is why they also bury their waste,
the only animal that does.

Naturally the lazy *******s that don't
regularly clean the cat box are who smell, not the cat. Humans
smell... and I'm positive if I ever visited your terlits I'd about die
from the stench.

God, where to begin?

(1) Citation other than your backside, please. Can you name a study
supporting this view?

(2) Learn spelling and meaning of word before you use it.
Feral (F-E-R-A-L): in a wild state, esp. after escape from captivity or
domestication : a feral cat. Domesticated cats are not feral by
definition.

(3) The leading causes of death in cats: Feline diabetes, AIDS, and
Kidney failure.

(4) People will let a cat out, because that is where the cat wants to be.
I'm sure with exercise, you could grow up to be a pin-head yourself.

(5) "Exuding no odor is just one way how nature made felines one of the
best hunters on the planet."- Citation please to support this statement.

Cats have scent glands along the tail, on each side of their head, on
their lips, base of their tail, chin, near their sex organs, and between
their front paws. They use these glands to scent mark their territory.
When the cat rubs you, he is marking you with his scent, claiming you as
"his." Too, he is picking up your scent. Cats rub up against furniture
or doorways for the same reason - to mark the item as "his". (Urine
spraying is also a territorial marking, by the way.)
http://www.xmission.com/~emailbox/whycat.htm
----

Shelly is our group's version of Ruppert Murdock's Fox News. The more
you listen to him, the less you know.
--
- Billy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_vN0--mHug
Old 03-02-2011, 07:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

In article
,

wrote:

aemeijers wrote:

[...]

(5)
[...]

In feral cat colonies, subordinate cats cover their waste, while
dominant ferals leave it conspicuously uncovered. Most indoor cats bury
their waste, possibly to display subordination to their humans.
Sometimes in multi-cat households, however, the dominant cat will leave
waste uncovered to indicate his status.
Ibid

----

Shelly is our group's version of Ruppert Murdock's Fox News. The more
you listen to him, the less you know.
--
- Billy
"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist."
-Archbishop Helder Camara
http://peace.mennolink.org/articles/...acegroups.html
http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth...130964689.html

Old 14-04-2016, 03:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

replying to Frank, Gilla Badaloo wrote:
I have done it before. Jamaicans always do this and its a real killer, lol, I
just set some as well. I have to do it like once every 3 years. So now is a
bit later than usual but I saw a mice and I have to get rid of it. The point.
The instant they consume the mixture, they do realize something odd and just
like us, we want something to flush it down, so they search, i normally set a
container cause I am a nice rat killer. Yes you may put cheese and meat to
attract them, It is just an additional treat. Oh, the smell, get prepared, its
either you deal with the smell or you deal with leptustirosis. I choses smell.
I allow my pup to search and then we keep a memorial.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...es-617335-.htm

Old 14-04-2016, 05:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

replying to Gas Bag, Kevin Kirkpatrick wrote:
Tile grout will work too. It is very effective but I don't know how you can
know where they will die. I would put out straight flour for a week the add
cement. The lime in cement helps with smell somewhat . I never add anything to
it as I don't want it to spoil and smell. They est it just fine as is.

Old 14-04-2016, 05:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

replying to jellybean stonerfish, Kevin Kirkpatrick wrote:
Cats work well also as rat and mice preventers. Especially outdoor barn cats
who live outside all the time

Old 14-04-2016, 05:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

replying to Gas Bag, Kevin Kirkpatrick wrote:
I would out it outside around the house. They will find it I think.

Old 14-04-2016, 05:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

replying to ransley, Kevin Kirkpatrick wrote:
They smell the flour in the mixture and eat that getting cement as a by
product which kills them.

--
posted from
http://www.homeownershub.com/garden/...ies-95144-.htm

Old 14-04-2016, 07:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

replying to ransley, Kevin Kirkpatrick wrote:
THEY ARE SELLING IT. CEMENT...AND FLOUR....

Old 14-04-2016, 07:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

replying to Brooklyn1, Kevin Kirkpatrick wrote:
Living on a farm you have barn cats that live outside year round even in cold
climates. They are great hunters and the only issue is they get the song birds
too at times.

Old 14-04-2016, 07:44 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

replying to Gas Bag, Kevin Kirkpatrick wrote:
They can smell the flour from a long ways away. You have to understand they
are busy creatures and go quite a ways in search of food. I place it in dry
areas under trailers, along the side of the house, in the garage and barns.
Usually put out a pan of water too. They can smell that a long ways too I
believe.