Old 26-01-2011, 01:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

Default Flour & cement powder rat poison - queries

I've recently come across some articles that mention you can make your
own "non-toxic" rat/mouse posion by making a 50:50 mixture of regular/
corn flour and cement powder. They eat the mixture, then go in search
of water. Once they drink some water....game over. I have a few
specific questions, in relation to this D.I.Y. rat poison.

- How effective is this mixture at killing rats and/or mice?

- Assuming you place this mixture indoors (e.g. in the roof space),
will this poison ONLY take effect once the rodent goes outside for a
drink of water? The reason being, I'd want to avoid at-all-costs
having Ratty "snuff it" in my roof space, then having the most God-
awful smell to contend with a few days later.

- Is there anything that can be added to this mixture that would make
it extremely enticing to rats and/or mice? e.g. Powdered parmesan
cheese, sugar, salt, a little soy/fish sauce, some type of finely
chopped meat (raw or cooked)? I am just taking a wild guess here, as
I don't know what would attract them.

- Most of all, would tile grouting powder, used for bathroom tiling,
work just as well as cement powder in this D.I.Y. mixture?

I really would appreciate some advice. Thanks.
Old 26-01-2011, 02:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

On Jan 26, 7:58*am, Gas Bag wrote:
[...]

Never heard that one. But any bait poison runs the risk of the animal
dying somewhere in your house. In 99% of the cases the carcase just
dries up. Or flys find it and it gets eaten by maggots.
Old 26-01-2011, 02:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

On 1/26/2011 8:30 AM, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jan 26, 7:58 am, Gas wrote:
[...]

I agree. You take a chance with poison baits in the house. After
getting one bad stink a couple of years ago from a poisoned mouse, I now
use traps only.

I don't know about flour/cement but rats do not have a throwing up
reflex and once they eat something, it has to pass through their
digestive system where it may kill them.
Old 26-01-2011, 03:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 04:58:22 -0800 (PST), Gas Bag
wrote:

- How effective is this mixture at killing rats and/or mice?

- Assuming you place this mixture indoors (e.g. in the roof space),
will this poison ONLY take effect once the rodent goes outside for a
drink of water? The reason being, I'd want to avoid at-all-costs
having Ratty "snuff it" in my roof space, then having the most God-
awful smell to contend with a few days later.

If you have rodents in your attic then you are very remiss in sealing
their entry to your house... believe it or not it is quite easy to
eliminate entryways. Seal your house and if rodents are still present
set traps... they obviously have free roam of your entire house
because rodents cannot live without food and water... also eliminate
their access to your food... you are definitely feeding those critters
or they'd not be there.
Old 26-01-2011, 04:30 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

On Jan 26, 5:30*am, jamesgangnc wrote:
On Jan 26, 7:58*am, Gas Bag wrote:

[...]

dries up. *Or flys find it and it gets eaten by maggots.- Hide quoted text -

Yep. I find that D-Con works wonders and the animals don't smell for
some reason. I keep a bait box with it in the basement and find and
occasional dead mouse - never smelled one for many a year now.

The 'flour/cement' is an oldy home recipe. Just as enticing to pets
as it is to rodents. Needs to be in places the pets can't get to just
like any commercial poison.

Harry K

Old 26-01-2011, 05:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

Gas Bag wrote:
[...]

An overdose of vitamin D will kill them, use that.

--
LSMFT

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Old 26-01-2011, 05:38 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

On Jan 26, 6:58*am, Gas Bag wrote:
[...]

Then if it worked why wouldnt someone be selling it. My dogs wont eat
cement I dont think a rat will. I use poison inside, traps are a pain.
The smell of a dead mose is gone in a week and so are all the mice.
With traps its a constant battle you dont know if you ever win. Do
both, traps and poison
Old 26-01-2011, 07:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

In article
,
ransley wrote:

On Jan 26, 6:58*am, Gas Bag wrote:
[...]

Be careful of where you put the poison. I lost 2 cats last year to
poisoning, cats that were encouraged by neighbors, because they were
"mousers".
--
- Billy
³When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist.²
Old 26-01-2011, 08:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 13:52:01 -0500, Brooklyn1 wrote:

Billy wrote:

Be careful of where you put the poison. I lost 2 cats last year to
poisoning, cats that were encouraged by neighbors, because they were
"mousers".

Why did you put your cats outdoors, you ignorant POS... you need to be
poisoned... actually I'd be happy to tie you into a sack with a few
bricks and toss you into a lake.

Why would you keep your cats locked up inside?

Animal cruelty.
Old 26-01-2011, 08:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

Billy wrote:

Be careful of where you put the poison. I lost 2 cats last year to
poisoning, cats that were encouraged by neighbors, because they were
"mousers".

Why did you put your cats outdoors, you ignorant POS... you need to be
poisoned... actually I'd be happy to tie you into a sack with a few
bricks and toss you into a lake.

Why would you keep your cats locked up inside?

Animal cruelty.

Keeps them clean and free of burrs, ticks, and fleas. Keeps them from
getting killed by cars, dogs, or cat haters, or being carried away by hawks.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Old 26-01-2011, 08:35 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

Brooklyn needs to be locked in a dark closet for the rest of
his life, for animal cruelty.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"jellybean stonerfish" wrote in
message ...

Old 26-01-2011, 08:37 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

I guess you're too ignorant to know that cats are outdoor
animals. We'd better lock you in a dark closet for the rest
of your life.

Did anyone else catch the irony? Brookyn, condemning
cruelty, offers to use the same cruel technique he decries.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old 26-01-2011, 08:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

On Jan 26, 7:58*am, Gas Bag wrote:

[...]

Maybe it's D-CONcrete in it dat kills 'em!
Old 26-01-2011, 09:15 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

wrote:

I really would appreciate some advice. Thanks.

Never heard of that mixture before...

Cheap: build one of these. They work on mice and rats.

video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jezQKOl5q-w
Old 26-01-2011, 09:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair,alt.consumers.pest-control,rec.gardens

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 07:30:41 -0800 (PST), Harry K
wrote:

Yep. I find that D-Con works wonders and the animals don't smell for
some reason. I keep a bait box with it in the basement and find and
occasional dead mouse - never smelled one for many a year now

Interesting. MY grandfather used D-Con around his place in the 50s.
After heavy rains the rats would head for a puddle of water to drink
and die. They did smell nasty I recall. Luckily they went outside to
drink.