Old 26-01-2011, 10:19 PM
Registered User

Default Best flowering plants to grow indoors...

Hello everyone, great for you have here.

I have become interested in growing flowers indoors. I want to grow them in pots and planters and keep them indoors on the windowsill etc. I don't have a garden to move them to etc.

Are there any obvious species to start with?

Thanks muchly,

Rob.
Old 27-01-2011, 09:44 AM posted to rec.gardens

RobCardiff wrote:
Hello everyone, great for you have here.

I have become interested in growing flowers indoors. I want to grow them
in pots and planters and keep them indoors on the windowsill etc. I
don't have a garden to move them to etc.

Are there any obvious species to start with?

Thanks muchly,

Rob.

"Spider Plants" are the easiest to grow indoors. The biggest problem with
house plants is bugs in the house. Once you get the bugs in the house it
can be hard to get rid of them. So spray the plants with insecticide soaps
once in a while.

Green leafy plants with no flowers tend to do best indoors. Some leafy
plants with color can be grown indoors like "coleuses" can be done. Good
luck?

http://houseplantsreviews.com/

Old 27-01-2011, 09:16 PM posted to rec.gardens

RobCardiff writes:

Hello everyone, great for you have here.

When you post on Gardenbanter, the posts are relayed to Usenet.
A lot of the replies you see will be from Usenet.

I have become interested in growing flowers indoors. I want to grow them
in pots and planters and keep them indoors on the windowsill etc. I
don't have a garden to move them to etc.

Are there any obvious species to start with?

Depends on the light available.

For almost no light required and reliable blooming,
Christmas Cactus works for me. In a north facing
window I get blooms from November to March.

Under lights African Violets bloom almost constantly.
They may work for you in a window. East or West facing
is best.

I have a Snake Plant that blooms every 4 or 5 years.
The flowers aren't much to look at but they smell nice.

Old 28-01-2011, 03:21 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 22:19:59 +0000, RobCardiff
wrote:

Hello everyone, great for you have here.

I have become interested in growing flowers indoors. I want to grow them
in pots and planters and keep them indoors on the windowsill etc. I
don't have a garden to move them to etc.

Are there any obvious species to start with?

Thanks muchly,

Rob.

African violets are the easiest. You can choose from a broad rage of
petal types and colors, too.

Boron

Old 28-01-2011, 05:37 PM posted to rec.gardens

RobCardiff wrote:

I have become interested in growing flowers indoors. I want to grow them
in pots and planters and keep them indoors on the windowsill etc. I
don't have a garden to move them to etc.

Are there any obvious species to start with?

Orchids, not really difficult.

http://houseplants.about.com/od/grow...chidshouse.htm

Old 28-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobCardiff View Post
Hello everyone, great for you have here.

I have become interested in growing flowers indoors. I want to grow them in pots and planters and keep them indoors on the windowsill etc. I don't have a garden to move them to etc.

Are there any obvious species to start with?

Thanks muchly,

Rob.
I recommend that you start with Peace Lilies or Moth Orchids. They don't need that much light and their blooms are just beautiful. Just make sure you have good fiberglass planters and good soil and you should be good to go!
Old 08-02-2011, 11:28 PM
Registered User

The biggest problem with indoor plants are bugs in the home. Once you get bugs in the home can be difficult to get rid of them. So spray the plants with insecticidal soap every once in a while.
__________________
Pond Liners
Old 09-02-2011, 01:25 AM
BobWalsh's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobCardiff View Post
Hello everyone, great for you have here.

I have become interested in growing flowers indoors. I want to grow them in pots and planters and keep them indoors on the windowsill etc. I don't have a garden to move them to etc.

Are there any obvious species to start with?

Thanks muchly,

Rob.
Hi Rob,

Monstera deliciosa, also called Swiss Cheese Plant, is an excellent choice. Bromeliads, especially Aechmea and Guzmania, are easy plants to start with.
In one of the posts below I read about bugs.
To keep bugs away, it helps to fertilize the plants once a month with fish emulsion.

Happy Growing,

Bob Walsh
__________________
For information on growing Plumerias, Frangipani, visit http://www.BobWalshPlumeriaCare101.com.
Old 09-02-2011, 04:11 AM posted to rec.gardens

On Wed, 09 Feb 2011 01:25:51 +0000, BobWalsh wrote:

Hi Rob,

Monstera deliciosa, also called Swiss Cheese Plant, is an excellent
choice.

I had one of these as a houseplant for many years when I was a child.
When I got older, I put it in the ground. It loved the sun and soil.
After a few years in the ground, it started to flower. Walking by
one day, I smelled something sweet. Looking, I found a fruit on the
ground, covered by ants. I looked it up and was surprised to find it
was edible. Now I watch the fruit, and get them when they are ripe,
before the ants. Yummmm.

If anybody wants a large specimen, and lives close to Garden Grove CA, let
me know. I will share, if you promise to give it a good home.

Old 28-02-2011, 05:10 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobCardiff View Post
Hello everyone, great for you have here.

I have become interested in growing flowers indoors. I want to grow them in pots and planters and keep them indoors on the windowsill etc. I don't have a garden to move them to etc.

Are there any obvious species to start with?

Thanks muchly,

Rob.
I have orchids in my kitchen that have been there quite a while! I suggest those, they look lovely indoors!
Bat Boxes - Help Your Local Bat Friends
Chimineas | Parasols | Garden Benches | Garden Furniture Covers