Old 27-01-2011, 02:38 PM
Registered User

Location: Glasgow
Default Bees, anyone?

Hi,

My name's Estelle and I'm a product design engineering student at the University of Glasgow investigating the reasons why people choose or are put off beekeeping. I'm hoping to try and address some of the barriers to beekeeping through product design.

I was wondering if anyone here has ever considered keeping bees?
If so, what was the outcome?
If not, would you ever consider keeping bees?

I've put together a wee questionnaire that basically asks the same questions, and I'd be immensely grateful if anyone finds the time to fill it out:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/a/ec...d2OUE6MQ#gid=0

If questionnaires aren't your thing, just let me know your thoughts here!

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I look forward to hear from you.

Estelle
Old 27-01-2011, 05:32 PM posted to rec.gardens

http://tinyurl.com/5u2vhrx

If questionnaires aren't your thing, just let me know your thoughts
here!

Buzz off
I will stick with the pros: https://www.dadant.com/

Old 27-01-2011, 05:55 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Thu, 27 Jan 2011 13:38:11 +0000, ectosaur wrote:
( EDITED QUOTE )
Hi,

My name's Estelle

I was wondering if anyone here has ever considered keeping bees? If so,
what was the outcome?
If not, would you ever consider keeping bees?

I've put together a wee questionnaire that basically asks the same
questions, and I'd be immensely grateful if anyone finds the time to
fill it out:

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Estelle

Ok, I will check it out. You sound like a nice person.
Old 28-01-2011, 01:47 AM posted to rec.gardens

--
ectosaur

I took your little survey and hope the responses are helpful in your
project.

I didn't set out to keep bees; a friend of mine asked if he could use
my garden, so I said OK; it sounded kewl, and I would be getting
honey. It was awesome! When they swarmed, they hung from my apricot
tree in a huge bulge; not dangerous; just waiting till the queen
signals it's time to go.

The only reason I discontinued was that a neighbor mentioned that he
was having bees in his attic. I was afraid to get ticketed or
whatever, since it isn't permitted, so eventually I had to ask the
friend to remove them.

But it was a great experience while it lasted.

HB
Old 28-01-2011, 03:26 AM posted to rec.gardens

Higgs Boson wrote:
On Jan 27, 5:38 am, ectosaur
wrote:
[...]

If you live in the boondocks beekeeping is ok, if they swarm.. So what...
However, the beekeeper should have inspected the hive more often and should
have removed extra queens bees from the hive as they are formed. this helps
minimize swarms. When beekeepers put hives in other people yards the hive
inspections tend to bee (pun) non existent.

Beekeeping and gardening timings are almost the same. From planting to
harvest.

Old 28-01-2011, 02:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 02:26:38 +0000, Nad R wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:
On Jan 27, 5:38 am, ectosaur
wrote:
[...]

Removing extra queens is a poor method of preventing swarms, it is far
better to make sure they have enough brood space at all times so that
they have no reason to make the extra queens in the first place, both for
better swarm prevention and for better hive health. I recommend that
anyone considering honeybees read "Hive Management: A Seasonal Guide for
Beekeepers" *before* getting their first hive.

http://www.amazon.com/Hive-Managemen...rs-Down-Earth/
dp/0882666371

Old 28-01-2011, 03:00 PM posted to rec.gardens

Glen Walpert wrote:
On Fri, 28 Jan 2011 02:26:38 +0000, Nad R wrote:

Higgs Boson wrote:
On Jan 27, 5:38 am, ectosaur
wrote:
[...]

I will agree with that. However, an occasional inspection can help. Even
with that extra brood space they can still make extra queens. The bees will
not swarm without a queen. Where there is a swarm their is a queen leading
them.

I know that inspecting too often will give the honey a smokey off taste so
inspections is a balancing act. Like i said in the country who cares. Bees
in the city needs greater care.

Old 29-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Registered User

Location: Glasgow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgs Boson View Post

I took your little survey and hope the responses are helpful in your
project.

I didn't set out to keep bees; a friend of mine asked if he could use
my garden, so I said OK; it sounded kewl, and I would be getting
honey. It was awesome! When they swarmed, they hung from my apricot
tree in a huge bulge; not dangerous; just waiting till the queen
signals it's time to go.

The only reason I discontinued was that a neighbor mentioned that he
was having bees in his attic. I was afraid to get ticketed or
whatever, since it isn't permitted, so eventually I had to ask the
friend to remove them.

But it was a great experience while it lasted.

HB
Hi all,

Thanks for all your responses, and the comments on my survey, which were really helpful - I'm sure if I ever have to write another survey for any reason it'll be much better! I did put some time into making it, but probably ended up focusing too much on getting it to ask questions dependent to the previous answer, instead of constructing stronger questions. Thanks for putting up with it in any case

Higgs Boson, your story is particularly interesting, as it's the kind of situation I've been thinking about in more detail. I've noticed quite a lot of people keep their bees away from their homes, and was looking to design a tool to make it easier to look after them.

My current idea is to fit a sensor package that monitors weight, temperature and acoustic feed to a beehive, with the data collected transmitted wirelessly to the beekeeper. From the weight you can get an idea of the size of the colony so you can decide whether to go and check if you need to expand the space. Apparently listening to the frequency of the 'buzz' inside the hive can be used to predict swarming (Beesource Beekeeping Apidictor) so the system could give an alert if the swarming frequency is detected.

Here's a wee concept sheet illustrating the idea: sensorconcept.jpg picture by ulk - Photobucket

Does anyone have any thoughts, comments or criticisms about this idea? Just for the record I'm not trying to revolutionise beekeeping with my mad design skills, just exploring how technology might enable a wider range of people to take it up.

Cheers again!
Estelle

Old 31-01-2011, 05:02 PM
Registered User

I filled in the questionnaire. I'd like to keep bees, it's just time, I don't have much of it and I don't have the right outdoor space, that and I don't know very much about them either.. Although I do like them. They are lovely creatures.
__________________
Bat Boxes - Help Your Local Bat Friends
Chimineas | Parasols | Garden Benches | Garden Furniture Covers
Old 01-02-2011, 03:53 AM posted to rec.gardens

hollierose wrote:
I filled in the questionnaire. I'd like to keep bees, it's just time,
I don't have much of it and I don't have the right outdoor space, that
and I don't know very much about them either.. Although I do like them.
They are lovely creatures.

Lovely creatures? Bees can KILL.

Yorkshire Terriers, now they are lovely creatures. Like a few other
creatures, they can only harm your heart and your wallet

Old 01-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Registered User

Bees, unlike wasps, only sting when they are very scared.. And they can die when they sting too. So because they don't do it to be spiteful, I don't hold it against them.
__________________
Old 01-02-2011, 11:15 PM posted to rec.gardens

hollierose wrote:
-

Lovely creatures? Bees can KILL.

Yorkshire Terriers, now they are lovely creatures. Like a few other
creatures, they can only harm your heart and your wallet

Bees, unlike wasps, only sting when they are very scared.. And they can
die when they sting too. So because they don't do it to be spiteful, I
don't hold it against them.

When near a hive, if ONE bees stings you, it can sets off a hormone that
bees react to. If bees in the hive detect that hormone, Almost ALL the bees
in that hive will come out and sting that same spot or nearby that first
sting.

Now that is where that smoker comes in, it blocks that chemical hormone so
other bees may not know about. The smoke confuses the bees. So one sting or
two should have no effect on the other bees. Without the suit or the
smoker.... RUN if you can! Also carry an injectable drug called
Epinephrine, just in case.

One odd thing, the queen can sting as much as she wants without dying.

Old 02-02-2011, 04:02 PM
Registered User

Thanks, I learnt something new there! To be honest even though I don't really mind bees I would never approach a beehive. I find it odd that the queen can sting as much as she likes without dying, am I correct when I see she is significantly larger than the other bees? - that's what I've been told, if so, that's pretty interesting too and I wonder why that is. :S