Old 28-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Registered User

Default crocosmia

hi.im new to gardening...
can anyone give me some advice on a crocosmia i have in my garden.i recently moved to my present home to which this plant is in abundance in my front garden-it did flower last summer but only had a few flowers - i was told this is because there are too many plants packed together and that they need thining out??the leaves have now gone brown and wilted.....if i can thin them out(i presume they are bulbs)when can i do this??not sure what type of crocosmia they are -but they are small headed and a golden yellow to orange colour and they only grew to about two and a half feet.
thanks
jo
Old 31-01-2011, 12:13 AM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenqueen View Post
hi.im new to gardening...
can anyone give me some advice on a crocosmia i have in my garden.i recently moved to my present home to which this plant is in abundance in my front garden-it did flower last summer but only had a few flowers - i was told this is because there are too many plants packed together and that they need thining out??the leaves have now gone brown and wilted.....if i can thin them out(i presume they are bulbs)when can i do this??not sure what type of crocosmia they are -but they are small headed and a golden yellow to orange colour and they only grew to about two and a half feet.
thanks
jo
Hi Jo, yes your right they have a storage organ similar to a bulb called a corm, you cant go far wrong with dividing them as they will grow no matter how and what you do but ideally, they are best split just before the new growth appears in late winter/ spring. Remove all the dead leaves and lift the clumps, split the clump into 20cm clumps of corms and replant. Down here in Cornwall, they are a bit of a pest, as no matter how you try to get rid of them, the always seem to grow back. I dont think you will have much trouble.
best wishes Lannermn

[IMG] code is On

Crocosmia 'Lucifer' Crocosmia 'Lucifer'.JPG (0/2) Just Plane Noise Garden Photos 0 25-07-2013 02:40 PM
Crocosmia Q: Frogleg Gardening 7 22-07-2004 07:02 PM
Crocosmia - a record? andrewpreece United Kingdom 14 18-05-2004 07:22 PM
Storing crocosmia corms Chris Hogg United Kingdom 12 20-10-2003 01:42 AM
Disappointing Dahlias and Crumby Crocosmia Fleemo Gardening 2 16-09-2003 02:02 AM