Old 31-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Registered User

Default Appropriate hedging for south east aspect and in keeping with Georgian property?

Hi has anyone any idea about appropriate hedging types to suit a south east facing aspect outside a Georgian 3 storey town house? I have no idea what is in keeping or where to start with gardening archives for 1752 onwards. Also do hedges ever come into Grade II listings?

Many thanks for any comments.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:01 AM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingko View Post
Hi has anyone any idea about appropriate hedging types to suit a south east facing aspect outside a Georgian 3 storey town house? I have no idea what is in keeping or where to start with gardening archives for 1752 onwards. Also do hedges ever come into Grade II listings?

Many thanks for any comments.
Hi Gingko. The biggest consideration is the size that you need it to grow too but if your not looking for anything too tall then green box (Buxus) would be very much in keeping. For taller hedges then green holly was popular but maybe not very practicle due to it dropping sharp leaves !! Other plants that would be in keeping would be Yew, Portuguese Laurel, green euonymous, and at a push even plain green grisellina but as I say, depending on how high you want it to grow too and how much room you have will determine which one would be best suited, maybe you could let us have more details please !!
Lannerman
Old 01-02-2011, 12:06 AM posted to rec.gardens

First question - where do you live?
2nd question - what is the general weather like? Cold and Rainy, hot
and dry, etc?

Old 01-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Registered User

Hi thanks for your reply it's given me something to think about.
I probably don't need it to be more than about 4 ft high , it's a simple alternative to researching and replacing the railings which sat on top of a 1.5ft wall outside the house until we work through to that part of the renovation. However \i do need to put something to deter my kids, cats & dogs from the road. Do you happen to know if hedges were straight cut or shaped?

Thanks,
Old 01-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Registered User

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. We're in a conservation area nr Evesham. The house is SE facing but having not been here long I'm not sure of full weather conditions. Certainly seems sunny and exposed.

Thanks.

Old 01-02-2011, 09:49 PM
Registered User

Location: Lanner. Cornwall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingko View Post
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. We're in a conservation area nr Evesham. The house is SE facing but having not been here long I'm not sure of full weather conditions. Certainly seems sunny and exposed.

Thanks.
Hi Gingko, As its a conservation area, just check that there are no covenants or restrictions regarding hedges etc but normally, ifr you only want it about 4ft high, i think you will be ok !! All those mentioned would be totally hardy in your area. The next decision you have to make is how fast you want it to grow ?? because if you choose a relatively quick growing species which will give you your hedge more quickly, the downside of that is that to then keep it to 4ft, you need to be trimming it more often. conversly, if you choose a slower growing species, the maintenance element is reduced but, it will take longer to achieve your 4ft height ??
Regarding the shape, i think that is really a matter of personal choice. another species which was in vogue was of course bay, and personally a straight square bay hedge would be very much in keeping and if you really want to go to town (and expense) you could add standard bays within the hedge (trimmed as balls) to stand above the hedge as a real feature !! One each end and, depending on the length some within the actual hedge wouls look very stylish and very in keeping. Anyway, have a look around your area and see if anything grabs your fancy that others have done. It really depends on your initial budget and how you feel about the maintenance of it ??
hope this helps, Lannerman.
Old 02-02-2011, 06:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
lannerman wrote:

gingko;911815 Wrote:
[...]

Then there is Crataegus laevigata "Midland Hawthorn", a plant respected
for its thorns as well as an extremely valuable medicinal herb. It is
used mainly for treating disorders of the heart and circulation system,
especially angina[254]. Western herbalists consider it a 'food for the
heart', it increases the blood flow to the heart muscles and restores
normal heart beat[254]. This effect is brought about by the presence of
bioflavonoids in the fruit, these bioflavonoids are also strongly
antioxidant, helping to prevent or reduce degeneration of the blood
vessels.
http://newpfaf.webhost4life.com/user...Crataegus%20la
evigata
--
- Billy
"When you give food to the poor, they call you a saint. When you ask why the poor have no food, they call you a communist."