Old 31-01-2011, 10:27 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Cold frame advice

I'm considering putting together some cold frames to get an early start on
some cabbages, brocolli, etc. this year. Does anyone have any practical
advice they would like to share? How to build them, where to put them, what
not to do, etc.?
Old 05-02-2011, 11:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Jan 31, 2:27*pm, Zootal wrote:
I'm considering putting together some cold frames to get an early start on
some cabbages, brocolli, etc. this year. Does anyone have any practical
advice they would like to share? How to build them, where to put them, what
not to do, etc.?

Key is having some kind of temperature control device - so that when
the sun comes out you don't fry things.
There are some reasonably priced devices that are designed to open
vents that require no electricity - they
work on heat energy.

Hard to make other recommendations as you haven't said anything about
size, where you are located, or
other details.

Good luck!
Old 17-02-2011, 03:39 PM posted to rec.gardens

Key is having some kind of temperature control device - so that when
the sun comes out you don't fry things.
There are some reasonably priced devices that are designed to open
vents that require no electricity - they
work on heat energy.

Hard to make other recommendations as you haven't said anything about
size, where you are located, or
other details.

Good luck!

Small - brobably nothing more than a box a few feet long with plastic
covering the front. My time and resources are quite limited right now.
Maybe a dozen or so cabbages, a dozen or so chinese cabbages, maybe some
brocolli and cauliflower. I may just plant them in a small planter inside
and move them outdoors in a month or two.

Location - southern Wilamatter Valley, Oregon, about a half hour drive
south of Salem, not far from Oregon State University.
Old 17-02-2011, 03:56 PM posted to rec.gardens

On Feb 17, 10:39*am, Zootal wrote:
[...]

_Crockett's Victory Garden_ by Jim Crockett had a nice design. Quite
inexpensive and easy to make- 1/8" plywood, a couple of hinges and a
sheet of plexiglass. I am thinking of the first edition- I don't know
if later editions still have it.

Chris