Old 06-02-2011, 02:09 PM
Registered User

Default Holly Trees Root Structure

Hi,

Does anyone know what type of root structure a common holy tree has? We've just moved and within 12 hours of moving in our neighbours had sent round their friendly tree surgeon to enquire if they could pay for our Holly to be removed. It is close to their property and apparently within 3 m of a drain. I know they are a slow growing species and this one is approx 25ft high. I obviously don't want their property to be damaged but didn't know if root system is deep and invasive or shallow and far reaching.

Thanks for any comments
Old 06-02-2011, 06:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

gingko wrote:

Does anyone know what type of root structure a common holy tree has?

Holly roots are fiberous but do not go very deep any distance from the
trunk, are not invasive, but as with most trees their surface roots
extend some distance past the tree's drip line.

We've just moved and within 12 hours of moving in our neighbours had
sent round their friendly tree surgeon to enquire if they could pay for
our Holly to be removed. It is close to their property and apparently
within 3 m of a drain.

Ten feet away is a pretty safe distance... seems to me like it's their
drain that's too near your property, they should move it.

I know they are a slow growing species and this
one is approx 25ft high. I obviously don't want their property to be
damaged but didn't know if root system is deep and invasive or shallow
and far reaching.

It's very strange that they didn't ask the last owner to remove that
tree for some 25 years... probably did (many times) and were refused
(each time), probably a long standing feud over that tree. Holly
being a dense evergreen offers excellent privacy, I'd not remove a
healthy holly. Your neighbor can easily dig down on their side and
cut whatever few roots may be encroaching on their drain... your tree
won't suffer from some small feeder root pruning and probably will
benefit. They can easily shield their drain from roots from your tree
and their trees with a few dollars worth of aluminum flashing. That
drain business is just a smarmy ploy... odds are they don't like that
tree because it interferes with their snooping... next thing they'll
ask that you remove your window shades. LOL
Old 07-02-2011, 04:51 PM posted to rec.gardens

--
gingko

I think these people have more nerve than brains. Within One day???
How
arrogant!! Do not take this tree down until you have lived with it
for a
while. We have lots of hollies and love them for their privacy. You
may
find the same thing. Obviously they thought you would not do this if
they waited. There may be a good reason the tree remained there.
Nanzi
Old 08-07-2012, 05:18 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingko View Post
Hi,

Does anyone know what type of root structure a common holy tree has? We've just moved and within 12 hours of moving in our neighbours had sent round their friendly tree surgeon to enquire if they could pay for our Holly to be removed. It is close to their property and apparently within 3 m of a drain. I know they are a slow growing species and this one is approx 25ft high. I obviously don't want their property to be damaged but didn't know if root system is deep and invasive or shallow and far reaching.

Thanks for any comments
Looking at it from another point of view it might be that the neightbours have had structural problems in the past. It may be helpful if you asked whether or not they have had to undertake any remedial work in the past such as repointing cracks on the structure closest to the tree. In addition a majority of building insurance companies makes specific requirements that trees should not be allowed to grow with 10 metres of a property. Perhaps you could ask the neighbours if their insurance company have made any stipulations. If the neighbours sold it might also be a condition of the buyers mortgage company that no trees are growing within the 10 metre rule. Privacy might not be the issue here rather trying to avoid any potential unnecesssary repair costs. I would recommend that communication usually proves the best course of action.
Old 08-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Registered User