GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Deer and Hostas (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/195696-deer-hostas.html)

[email protected] 26-02-2011 10:14 PM

Deer and Hostas

Bud writes:

Why the hell move into the deer's territory in the first place?

I'm in central New Jersey.
There were a lot less deer here in the past,
then it was the settlers territory.
Before that, it was the Indians territory.
Before that bears, wolves, Sabre tooth cats.

So the deer haven't owned the territory any time in the
past I can think of.

They are probably doing better now than they ever have in the past.

It would be nice if we could devote more territory to wild animals
but I don't see that happening in the immediate future.

Brooklyn1 27-02-2011 12:25 AM

Deer and Hostas

Bud wrote:

Why the hell move into the deer's territory in the first place?

No problem so long as one respects their right to exist too.

Begadoc 27-02-2011 03:11 PM

I visited a friend recently whose wife was a very keen gardener. Given the location I guessed deer would be a problem so asked how he coped with the problem. His answer? "What do you think you're having for dinner tonight".