GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Magnolia Hedge? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/195770-magnolia-hedge.html)

Andy Oxford 01-03-2011 09:46 PM

Magnolia Hedge?

I wonder if anybody could be so kind as to advise me is it possible to plant a low hedge of magnolia shrubs, low growing, no more than say, 3 - 4 feet high? If it is possible, what cultivar would one recommend? And at what planting distance?

Also when is the right time to plant? Many thanks

Ono[_2_] 24-03-2011 03:51 AM

Magnolia Hedge?

--
Andy Oxford

Hi

How about adopting an idea of bonsai?
Plants cant spread their branches long when their roots dont have
enough room for them.
In japan, there are many ppl who dont have their own gardens at home.
So many ppl grow plants here and there around their homes.
However, they enjoy growing various type of plants in pots including
big trees.
i myself grow cherry tree in pot at my veranda.

Ono@'pot gardener' in tokyo

echinosum 24-03-2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Oxford (Post 914008)
I wonder if anybody could be so kind as to advise me is it possible to plant a low hedge of magnolia shrubs, low growing, no more than say, 3 - 4 feet high? If it is possible, what cultivar would one recommend? And at what planting distance?

Also when is the right time to plant? Many thanks

Seems like a poor idea. I'm not aware of any varieties naturally that small, so they'd have to be maintained by pruning. But you tend to lose next years flowers on bits that you prune. Also, they have an open form, which is unsuitable for hedging. Also, they are expensive plants.

Ono[_2_] 25-03-2011 03:48 AM

Magnolia Hedge?

On 3月2日, 午前6:46, Andy Oxford
wrote:
I wonder if anybody could be so kind as to advise me is it possible to
plant a low hedge of magnolia shrubs, low growing, no more than say, 3 -
4 feet high? If it is possible, what cultivar would one recommend? And
at what planting distance?

Also when is the right time to plant? Many thanks

--
Andy Oxford

A pot size can decide the maximum height of a plant.
ive found a good site:
http://robertdonatonurseries.com/

Ono