GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Potting-up fussy seedlings (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/195921-potting-up-fussy-seedlings.html)

coykiesaol 15-03-2011 03:06 AM

Potting-up fussy seedlings

I've got a bunch of more adventurous seeds on the go, which will come to pricking out / potting on before long.

For now one lot have got away ahead of the pack - some seedlings of Crambe cordifolia.

Since potting-up its not going well. First true leaves are drying up, and have made no headway [after a couple of weeks], and a couple have snuffed it

My general question (i.e. not specifically related to Crambe cordifolia) is whether I would be better to try to improve drainage of multi purpose compost (go 1/3rd or even 50% Perlite perhaps?) with a view to stopping the compost becoming compacted, and to reduce the effect of watering [when the plants are not actually thirsty]?

Slight risk that they will need water more often, but by the time they get to the next potting-on pot-size they will probably be strong enough to be less influenced by compost-drainage.

Advice welcome, I want to avoid killing off the seedlings that I do manage to get to germinate