GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Digging up Hosta roots (but trying not to) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/gardening/196013-digging-up-hosta-roots-but-trying-not.html)

mkr5000 20-03-2011 01:50 PM

Digging up Hosta roots (but trying not to)

I have an area with Several Hostas that are dormant now and a zillion
daylillies coming up in the same area.

I dug a little and because the lillies are very small right now, seems
the bulbs were pretty easy to dig up.

I'd like to dig up the entire area but fear I may run into my Hostas
-- if I do do you thinks they will be alright if I replant them? Are
Hosta roots pretty obvious when you see them? The lilly bulbs come out
easy -- but I want to keep the hostas in place.

mkr5000 20-03-2011 01:53 PM

Digging up Hosta roots (but trying not to)

Just occured to me, maybe I should wait till I see the tips of the
Hostas peeking through the soil?

By then though, the daylillies may be tougher to get out.

[email protected] 20-03-2011 09:24 PM

mkr5000 writes:

Just occured to me, maybe I should wait till I see the tips of the
Hostas peeking through the soil?

By then though, the daylillies may be tougher to get out.

The hostas will be root clumps. Easy enough to recognize.
Seeing the tips will help identify where each plant is though.