Old 23-03-2011, 02:46 AM
Registered User

Default How tall is TOO tall for seedlings?

My petunia seedling popped up to 1" tall before I could get them under the lights. Is that too leggy? should they be transplanted to shorten them? What distance from the top of the soil to the 1st set of leaves is considered optimal? Thanks in Advance.
Old 23-03-2011, 03:31 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Tell me why its necessary to file and soak seeds?

qazwsxed wrote:
Im new (really new to gardening) and it seems like i want to do it all
at once! And i want to do it right! i research the internet finding
the correct way to plant certain plants. On the seed packages you get
at a retailer, it says just plant seeds in the ground. but on some
websites it says to file a nick in the seed then soak it overnight.
Is this necessary or suggested? what are the advantages of doing
this? Id rather ask the experts or experienced gardners!!!
Thanks in advance

It depends entirely on the type of seed. Most seeds will germinate without
any such treatment. Some require special treatment such as; abrasion,
smoke, heat, soaking etc. The advantage for those seeds that require it is
to greatly increase the germination rate.

If you say what kind of seeds you are dealing with somebody might give more
specific advice.

David

Old 23-03-2011, 08:18 PM posted to rec.gardens

g'day,

i know it as scarifying seeds, not generally required for vegetable
seeds and annual/perrennial garden seed.

but can be very necessary with seeds from native plants, to especially
if they have a hard coveing of the seed, if the seeds are large enugh
about the size of 3 pin heads i use a blade knife and shave some of
the oute covering off on the side of eh seed untill you see the
lighter inner colour, this allows for moisture to get into the seed
and cause a better gemination rate quicker. other methods are pour hot
wate on the seeds and leave for 24 hoursoeh native plant germinators
have said they leave the seeds in the wate until they swell.

anoterh method is to soak seed in smokey wate (do a google), i've had
good success with the shave or rub one side on some emery paper
method, plant seeds in regular seed raising mix learn how the seedling
develops we ahve a an endangered tree over hee that i regularly pass
seeds around for i have had excellent gemination rate between 95 &
100%, but they need to be planted individually in pots with enough
depth of medium so they can set their root system first the top looks
like it is dormant at this satge ( and it is at this stage thatlosses
occur as they don't take kindly to ransplanting until the top is well
develped ie.,. small tree), so you can ahve 2 teeny leaves sitting
there apparently doing nothing. but it is also a seed that needs to be
used as fresh as after about 12 weeks in store they start to lose
viability.

if you do teh ground work you will know waht will work best for
particular plants

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 02:45:17 +0000, qazwsxed
wrote:

snipped
--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

and also: Isaiah 38:1&17-18 KJV

1: Thus saith the Lord, set thine house in order: for thou shalt die and not live.
17: for thou hast cast all my sins behind my back.
18: For the grave cannot praise thee, death cannot celebrate thee: they that go down in the pit cannot hope for truth.

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Seek truth and understanding will follow"

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/
Old 23-03-2011, 09:57 PM posted to rec.gardens

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

qazwsxed wrote:
[...]

It appears to me that "qazwsxed" was looking for why some plants need
nicking and soaking, which echinosum answered quite clearly.

"Bread feeds the body, indeed, but flowers feed also the soul."
- The Koran

====
--
---------